Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#464589 - 12/01/05 06:17 PM Teller Outages/Recoveries
osoalone Offline
100 Club
Texas
I would like some input on how everyone out there is handling Teller recoveries from outages. I am of the opinion if the teller's machine shows short one day and entries are made to the suspense account, then if the outage is found, then the machine should show an overage and the reversing entries should be made to the suspense account. Management thinks entries should just be made and leave the machine out of the picture because it's one less step to take. When I audit the suspense account I match up entries to this account with the respective teller's sheet that day showing the reason for the entry to the suspense account.

Return to Top
Audit
#464590 - 12/03/05 03:47 AM Re: Teller Outages/Recoveries
momof4! Offline
New Poster
osoalone,
Our practice is this: The teller balances and is short, the teller must accept the outage and the correct entries are made to the over/short account. This "balances" the drawer. If the outage is found, the teller would then be over at balancing time, the teller must again accept the outage and again the entries are made to the over/short account notating on the tickets and over/short records that this outage is considered a recovery. If only the entries are made to the over/short account, the teller machine will not match what the teller drawer has and therefore would still be considered out of balance. The way it sounds, your accounting is slightly different than ours, but either way, the teller machine should match what the teller drawer actually has so the recovery should be acknowledged by the machine as well. I would also be more comfortable having a clear "paper trail" for the entries made to any account.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z