Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#464731 - 12/02/05 10:03 PM Re: Merry Christmas, Everyone!
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Quote:

What?

Where?

When?

Get off my case, toilet face!

Hey Mr. Peepers.....they're playing Donkey basketball in town tonight

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#464732 - 12/02/05 10:05 PM Re: Merry Christmas, Everyone!
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I didn’t know Camilla played basketball, I thought the Brits were more into soccer.

Although if she's in town, ya better order extra oats!

Return to Top
#464733 - 12/02/05 10:08 PM Re: Merry Christmas, Everyone!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Memorable Quotes from
Holiday Inn (1942)

Ted Hanover: A gentle smile often breeds a kick in the pants.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim Hardy: What brings you here on this bright and uninviting day?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jim Hardy: I don't need a coat, now!

Ted Hanover: [reading] Come out and relax on a farm, open holidays only.
[skeptical]
Ted Hanover: Open holiday's only? Say, how many of them are there?
Jim Hardy: [excited] About 15. That gives me 350 days to kick around in!
Ted Hanover: [laughing] You would think of that!

Mamie: Is your names Mamie?
Daphne and Vanderbilt: No.
Mamie: Get back in the kitchen!
[later]
Mamie: Is your names Miss Linda?
Daphne and Vanderbilt: No.

Ted Hanover: Oh boy, do I go for those! Why they're great on... on...
[pause]
Ted Hanover: ... or even plain!

Linda Mason: What would you like?
Danny Reed: Orchids, the finest you've got.
Linda Mason: Corsage?
Danny Reed: No, no. A dozen, loose, looking like they don't care!

Ted Hanover: It's going to be easy - like peeling a turtle.

Jim Hardy: For that kinda of money you oughta be able to go by way o' Medicine Hat!

Danny Reed: If I'm not the best manager in the business, I'll eat a garage mechanic's shirt!

Jim Hardy: Well what do you visualize, Ziggy?

Jim Hardy: Right now I've got the ledger in an iron lung.

Danny Reed: How'd he get that far in five minutes?
Ted Hanover: The lady must have been willing.
Danny Reed: The world can't do this to us!

Ted Hanover: I like it here... with you and Linda.
Jim Hardy: And we love having you. When are you leaving?

Danny Reed: François! Have you seen Mr. Hanover?
François: Twice, sir. The first time he came from his dressing room he had a telegram in his hand. He ordered scotch and soda. A bottle of each.
Danny Reed: I know! I know!
François: The second time he came from his dressing room he asked which was is Connecticut.
Danny Reed: Connecticut?
François: Connecticut. He said he had a friend there who knows about women too.
Danny Reed: Why didn't you stop him?
François: How can I stop him sir when I don't know which way is Connecticut!

Ted Hanover: Then I had a drink.
Jim Hardy: A drink? Boy you were fractured!

Return to Top
#464734 - 12/02/05 10:22 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

So, let me get this straight. It's ok to suggest that a joyous remark so simple and conventional as Merry Christmas be banned.

Name ONE person who has suggested such a thing! Not just on this thread, name one person anywhere in the US. No one wants to "ban" anything. Stop pretending to be a martyr.

Return to Top
#464735 - 12/02/05 10:38 PM Re: WARNING: Highly Offensive Insensitive Post
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
Wow, is right anon. Hope you can swim because you missed the boat.

The point is, I try not to offend anyone. If I thought it would offend someone, I wouldn't say it. If I did say something that did offend someone, I would apologize and try to be more aware of words or actions could be offensive.

At no time will I sit on my perch and snicker or be derisive at other people's feelings. That is arrogant and again, rude.

Return to Top
#464736 - 12/02/05 10:48 PM Re: Merry Christmas, Everyone!
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Grow up, Buckwheat!

Return to Top
#464737 - 12/02/05 10:51 PM Re: WARNING: Highly Offensive Insensitive Post
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

At no time will I sit on my perch and snicker or be derisive at other people's feelings. That is arrogant and again, rude.

Neither will I.

Merry Christmas!

Return to Top
#464738 - 12/02/05 11:01 PM Re: WARNING: Highly Offensive Insensitive Post
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Wow, is right anon. Hope you can swim because you missed the boat.

The point is, I try not to offend anyone. If I thought it would offend someone, I wouldn't say it. If I did say something that did offend someone, I would apologize and try to be more aware of words or actions could be offensive.

Chef

Maybe my "missing the boat" post was a little out there, but let me ask you your opinion on something:

If I am walking down the street in such a good mood that I am whistling Christmas Carols and saying "Merry Christmas" to everyone who walks by, do you think I am risking the potential of being rude? I would think that people would be happy to get a cheerful greeting even if they don't necessarily agree with the message.

Do you not agree?

As an agnostic, how would it make you feel if you were to walk by while I was doing that?

Anyone else from another religion or no religion got any thoughts on this?

Return to Top
#464739 - 12/02/05 11:03 PM Re: Merry Christmas, Everyone!
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Grow up, Buckwheat!

Relax, I'm just having fun.

Merry Christmas

Return to Top
#464740 - 12/02/05 11:05 PM Re: WARNING: Highly Offensive Insensitive Post
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
I was raised in a Christian home, my dad was a minister but I don't attend any church now. I have my own Higher Power but not bound by any specific religion. I don't care if you say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays", I just appreciate the warm, friendly greeting. So, Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all. Hope you have a good weekend.

Return to Top
#464741 - 12/02/05 11:32 PM Re: WARNING: Highly Offensive Insensitive Post
Anonymous
Unregistered

WOW! 4,000 posts and NOT ONE PERSON realized the Seinfeld reference. Good job Spivol!!!!! Kudos!! and you were able to direct it to Dumb and Dumber quotes! Double Kudos!!!

"It's OK.... I'm a limo driver!"

Return to Top
#464742 - 12/03/05 12:30 AM Re: WARNING: Highly Offensive Insensitive Post
Spivol Offline
Power Poster
Spivol
Tulsa, Ok
Why thank you very much. I must admit I was very suprised that bankers picked up on Dumb and Dumber so much quicker than Seinfeld.
But BG got. I know I can always count on you.

Return to Top
#464743 - 12/03/05 08:45 AM Re: WARNING: Highly Offensive Insensitive Post
flaire Offline
100 Club
flaire
sw us
Once again, X drops a loaded question and everyone takes the bait while he sits back and laughs his butt off...

As a non-Christian, non-Jew, non-Muslim, non-Hindu, non-Buddhist, non-Atheist, non-Agnostic and non-anything else who works in a highly visible public sector (as all of us do) I can say only two things:

1. If I know someone is a certain religion, I try my best to respect their religion and give them the appropriate greeting or goodbye. I would say Aloha to someone who was of Hawaiian descent and Shaolom to someone of Jewish decent. It is just common courtesy and my mother would be ashamed of me if I didn't. Does that mean that I believe what they do? Of course not. But it shows that I am a decent, caring person who takes the time to try to understand them and express that caring in words.

2. Does it bother me that someone says "Merry Christmas" to me? Of course not. It is the same as someone telling me to have a good day on the other 270 or so non-holiday days of the year. Again, it is common courtesy. If I were in Saudi Arabia and someone wished me a good Rammadan or in Israel and someone wished me a Happy Passover I wouldn't think twice about it either.

The ultimate conquerers/rulers of this country were some varient of Christianity - like it or not. Christianity isn't the national religion, but it is part of daily life here. If you can't handle it then you are SOL. I don't say "one nation under God" in the pledge of allegience and I don't say "I beleive in one Apostocal and Catholic Church" when I attend Catholic weddings.

Does that make me a bad person? No, that makes me a pracitcal person. There is an argument right now in my home town about the town symbol. It is three crosses, which symbolize the unmarked graves or pioneers traveling west during the westward expansion in the 1800's. Some residents want to change that, and the name of the city, because they are offended by it. As a non-all of the above, I should be the one crying the loudest to change them.

But I'm not. And I think that those who are are way out of line. That would be like the residents of Indianapolis wanting to change the city's name because it means "the gathering place of Indians." Please...

And for those of you who are talking about the White House Christmas tree - it is a Christmas tree. The Capitol Building is the one who has a Holiday tree. Check out cnn.com for verification of this.

So yes, you all are right. Christians are right to celebrate the birth of their Lord and Saviour. Jews are right to celebrate Hanukah. Muslims are right to celebrate Rammadan. And everyone else is right to celebrate whatever else they do. I have a right to celebrate the birthday of the three-headed toad if I want.

That doesn't mean that I should expect or demand that everyone else recognize it. Those that know me - yes. Those that don't - no. Nor does that give me the right to bitch, complain and ruin everyone else's holiday.

All of the celebrations, as far as I have reserached, are about peace, caring, love and kindness. So express that and don't sweat the details.

Return to Top
#464744 - 12/03/05 06:01 PM Re: WARNING: Highly Offensive Insensitive Post
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

So, is saying "Merry Christmas" rude?

If you're saying it to a person that you don't know or a person that you know that could be offended and you say it anyway; in my opinion, yes.

If you're saying it to a person that you know that is a Christian or a person that doesn't mind...no.

So, would it likewise be rude to use the exclamation "Jesus!" or "Jesus H. Christ!" or "Oh, God!" or "Oh My God!" (or other words or phrases that use the name of the Lord) around people if you did not know if they were Christians or were offended by it?

Does everyone here take care not to use these kind of exclamations except around people they know know are not Christians or know will not be offended by it?

I don't see that care being taken. Maybe it is and I just don't realize it!?

Return to Top
#464745 - 12/03/05 06:21 PM Re: WARNING: Highly Offensive Insensitive Post
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I have had this happen; I did say Jesus H Christ and a person in the room told me that she was offended by it. I have taken care to never use the phrase again.

But, if care is not taken and you are offended, then it is okay to offend someone else. Do two wrongs make a right?

Return to Top
#464746 - 12/03/05 08:44 PM Re: WARNING: Highly Offensive Insensitive Post
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
I was coming out of Hobby Lobby last night and the gentleman ringer for Salvation Army gave me and my son a big smile and said Merry Christmas. Of course, I said Merry Christmas back to him and I thought wow, that made me feel good. The thought of two strangers who can have just a simple gesture to each other and not be offended by anything I think is a miracle in itself. and graciously praying that may God bless everyone of you (whether you believe or not)through this wonderful joyous season.

Return to Top
#464747 - 12/04/05 09:33 AM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
I'm thinking this is how it would be if all of us here, that use BOL, were to get together for a party....LOL... This is so true.. just goes to show that everyone can not be pleased at the same time...and one will make themselves sick trying to satisfy everyone and not bring offense to the situations.

Return to Top
#464748 - 12/04/05 09:43 AM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
Wow, I couldn't get through all of this... way too many opinions, ideals and words typed... my eyes are sore.. need to rest them... will be back later to finish reading the rest of y'alls post... LOL...

Return to Top
#464749 - 12/05/05 04:28 PM Re: WARNING: Highly Offensive Insensitive Post
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
Quote:

So, would it likewise be rude to use the exclamation "Jesus!" or "Jesus H. Christ!" or "Oh, God!" or "Oh My God!" (or other words or phrases that use the name of the Lord) around people if you did not know if they were Christians or were offended by it?

Yep. I try not to do it. I had a good friend of mine once back in school whose mother was very deeply religious. I had a bad habit of saying, "Oh my God!" She quietly told me that it was offensive to her. I felt bad and tried very hard not to do it.
Ever since then, I don't do that. I try to be conscientious of what I say around people I don't know.

Return to Top
#464750 - 12/05/05 04:31 PM Re: WARNING: Highly Offensive Insensitive Post
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Flaire - nicely put.

Return to Top
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5