Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#464656 - 12/01/05 10:20 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
My vote is no. Here is my reasoning...

Christmas is a Federally recognized holiday. Therefor, there is no reason that you cannot say, Merry Christmas.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#464657 - 12/01/05 11:00 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Uncle_Milty Offline
Gold Star
New Jersey
Quote:

Snow- Step into a non-christians shoes for just a second. It's not just a few people saying "Merry Christmas"...it's the stores, the music in the stores, the lights, the commercials on tv, it's EVERYWHERE. I mean, it's not like one "Merry Christmas" is offensive but the lack of consideration to another faith that is.

I'm sure non-Christians aren't offended for getting paid for the holiday...I mean, they have to work on their OWN holidays. So, kind of a trade off in my opinion.

The majority here celebrate Christmas. So it is a paid holiday and is EVERYWHERE. So what?

I use a vacation day or personal day to take off on Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, and don't need to use one to be off on Christmas. Does this bother me? Not at all. I choose to work on Hanukkah because it is not a religious holiday. I can light the menorah when I get home.

I'm not wild about the music and the crowds in the stores, but that is part of life here in the USA. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I enjoy looking at the trees and taking the kids for a drive to see all the lights. Do folks wish me a Merry Christmas? Of course. Even some who know my faith, and then they get the deer-in-the-headlights I'm-so-embarrassed look on their face. So what. I wish one right back. There is no offense taken.

I don't believe for a minute that it is the folks who celebrate Hanukkah, Kwanza or any other holiday that are driving the change. I think its the politicians - primarily Christians - who are simply taking PC too far. Call it what you will, it is still the Christmas season.

Return to Top
#464658 - 12/02/05 12:19 AM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Darkhorse Offline
Platinum Poster
Darkhorse
out of my mind
Well, I'll just throw myself to the wolves here (as usual).

I am a Christian, I'm not ashamed of it, but I prefer to say "happy holidays" because I start in just before Thanksgiving and keep going through the new year and I don't have to think about changing my saying.

Plus, I really do want everyone to have a happy whatever it is they celibrate

proud 2 b BOLWYWTCCUT

Return to Top
#464659 - 12/02/05 12:25 AM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can't believe that there are serious responses about whether someome can say "Merry Christmas". I would hope that everyone realizes that no one is trying to "drop" the saying of Merry Christmas.

The only thing even close to this that is happening is that some employers have a policy of having their employees say "Happy Holidays" or something similar. Obviously, they are doing what they feel is right for their business.

X is trying to promote this idea that there is a proposal to "drop" Christmas, or prohibit people from using the term generally. That, of course, is untrue.

Return to Top
#464660 - 12/02/05 01:07 AM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I think that some poeple just worked up about thinking someone is asking them to change. In fact no Christian loses anything by wishes someone Happy Holiday. They just manage to include many different groups of people. I don't see it as anyone being OFFENDED by someone saying Merry Christmas. It's just more asking the Christians in this country to recognize that there are different faiths.

Return to Top
#464661 - 12/02/05 01:49 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Uncle_Milty Offline
Gold Star
New Jersey
I think it is more than a few employers directing their employees as what to say. There is nothing wrong with "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". But for anyone - stores or governments - to put up a tree with ornaments and call it a holiday tree, rather than Christmas tree, or to be afraid to have anything that might be considered religious on the tree, just seems silly to me.

Return to Top
#464662 - 12/02/05 02:03 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
I prefer to say Merry Christmas. But after working retail for 6 years and getting my head bit off by people who didn't celebrate Christmas, I have become very used to saying Happy Holidays.

Return to Top
#464663 - 12/02/05 02:05 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Snow- Step into a non-christians shoes for just a second. It's not just a few people saying "Merry Christmas"...it's the stores, the music in the stores, the lights, the commercials on tv, it's EVERYWHERE. I mean, it's not like one "Merry Christmas" is offensive but the lack of consideration to another faith that is.

I'm sure non-Christians aren't offended for getting paid for the holiday...I mean, they have to work on their OWN holidays. So, kind of a trade off in my opinion.

I would also like to point out that I'm not jewish but an elderly friend of mine was. She told me that Hannakuh, while a holiday, wasn't as big as when she was a kid. It was a holiday but it grew in importance throughout the years because in her opinion, jewish people felt the need to have an identity around the Christmas season. She let me know that holidays, such as Passover, were much more important in their faith but had become overshadowed because of this need for identity.

So in my opinion, if people had more respect all around for people of ALL faiths or even ending this onslaught of Christmas EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE to the point of making people sick of it by Thanksgiving, then maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion.

So, to quote my grandmother, "You made your bed...now lie in it."

The reason for the season is Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. If you don't believe, tough luck, you have absolutely no right to tell the majority of us there are not to express our right to free speech in saying Merry Christmas. You have no right to prevent us from practicing our religious faith.

You do, however, have the right not to celebrate the holiday. You have the right to say Happy Kwanza, Happy New Years, and happy Halloween if you so chose.

If you are offended that others practice their religion, and celebrate the birth of their Savior, think about this.... Does the KKK have the right to say Martin Luther King doesn't deserve a federal holiday and cause it to become politically incorrect to observe it?

Return to Top
#464664 - 12/02/05 02:12 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Not a Banker, Ever Offline
100 Club
If the reason for the season is a purported savior, why have you appropriated a pagan icon to represent it?

Return to Top
#464665 - 12/02/05 02:18 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL! I agree completely N.B.E. Just be careful, there's plenty of people on the threads here who are uneducated in their own religion and will quickly jump on you about that.

Return to Top
#464666 - 12/02/05 02:24 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

I think you should be able to express your greeting either way. At our bank we had a woman who was a Jehovah's Witness working here. Our area tends to be predominantly Christian. During the holiday season most people express their greeting as "Merry Christmas". She would smile and return the greeting. Did it offend her....no...she understood the holiday and the greeting. If someone said Happy Hanukah to me I wouldn't be offended. I would probably express the same greeting back to them.

Snow, my thoughts exactly. Why should anyone take offense to being greeted with "Happy" or "Merry" anything? (Unless, I guess, you are "anti-" that group of people, e.g., saying Happy Hanukah to a white supremacist skinhead)

Return to Top
#464667 - 12/02/05 02:41 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

The reason for the season is Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. If you don't believe, tough luck, you have absolutely no right to tell the majority of us there are not to express our right to free speech in saying Merry Christmas. You have no right to prevent us from practicing our religious faith.

It's the reason for the Christian season. There are other holidays in the mix that have different reasons. I don't see anyone taking anything away from the Christmas season, just asking their holidays also be recognized. The "pity me I'm a Christian and I'm so abused" argument doesn't hold water. This country is supposed to guarantee freedom of religion, but most only think that applies to different denominations of the Christian faith. It's sad.

Return to Top
#464668 - 12/02/05 03:20 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Nuts Offline
Merry Christmas. I've pondered the "Happy Holidays" vs. "Merry Christmas" for a few years now, and have decided to stick with Merry Christmas for a few reasons.

1) The reason the entire Christmas season exists is to celebrate the birth of Jesus. Those who celebrate the birth of Jesus are the majority in the U.S. Don't even try to tell me that is not the case. There are many symbols and traditions for Christmas. I don't worship or pray to trees, reindeer, sleighs, strings of lights, Hermie the elf who wants to be a dentist, ornaments, SANTA, or any other symbol of Christmas (though one could make a colorable argument about my relationship with symbolic food items during December)

2) Because the majority in my area are Christian, odds are good (98%, I suppose) that if I say Merry Christmas, I will not offend anyone. Happy Holidays actually will offend some people that I know, but they are real sticklers for the celebration of Christmas, and hate the pc Happy Holidays greeting. So if I offend them, is that more or less pc than offending the folks who don't celebrate Christmas?

3) I have not witnessed anything in the United States that requires anyone to celebrate Christmas. Don't, I simply don't care. Is there a requirement that I celebrate Columbus Day? Do I agree with how the "new world" was acquired? Do I have to? I take the paid day off and go with it.

4) Here is a solution: Get religious ID cards. You can brand yourself whatever you want. And when stores have sales for Christmas, you have to show an ID card that you are Christian to get the sale price, go to the store during extended store hours, take the day of December 25th off (or the federally designated day for the celebration of Christmas), and your family can't accept any good will or charity from food banks or similar programs (even though giving to others is what the season is about). If you don't like it, you can't reap the benefits that are "customary" during this time of year, because it isn't YOUR "custom". Similarly, encourage all retailer to have huge sales, price cuts, donation drives, etc., for your particular religious holiday. I'm sure the results would make everyone happy.

There are many things I would like to see tailored to fit my lifestyle in the United States. But, even though I am a white male, what I want is in the minority, so I don't get it. That is how our society is set to work. I understand it, and carry on. Simple.

Return to Top
#464669 - 12/02/05 04:04 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Pirate Offline
Diamond Poster
Pirate
Florida
Hmm, I have better things to worry about than if I'm offending someone by my use of words. Sometimes I say Merry Christmas, sometimes Happy Holidays, sometimes Happy Yule, and even Happy December. If they look upset, it's their deal. I live in America and if I want to say something politically incorrect, I will as it's my right. Anyone can say Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy December to me and I won't get offended. I'm tolerant of others beliefs... no matter HOW much they go against mine. Isn't tolerance and understanding something we can all agree we need more of? -End of line-

Return to Top
#464670 - 12/02/05 04:26 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

I would also like to point out that I'm not jewish but an elderly friend of mine was. She told me that Hannakuh, while a holiday, wasn't as big as when she was a kid. It was a holiday but it grew in importance throughout the years because in her opinion, jewish people felt the need to have an identity around the Christmas season. She let me know that holidays, such as Passover, were much more important in their faith but had become overshadowed because of this need for identity.

So in my opinion, if people had more respect all around for people of ALL faiths or even ending this onslaught of Christmas EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE to the point of making people sick of it by Thanksgiving, then maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion.

You do, however, have the right not to celebrate the holiday. You have the right to say Happy Kwanza, Happy New Years, and happy Halloween if you so chose.

If you are offended that others practice their religion, and celebrate the birth of their Savior, think about this.... Does the KKK have the right to say Martin Luther King doesn't deserve a federal holiday and cause it to become politically incorrect to observe it?

Michael, how do you bare the persecution you have suffered?

Return to Top
#464671 - 12/02/05 04:48 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
LMAO

Return to Top
#464672 - 12/02/05 04:51 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Roger That Offline
Platinum Poster
Roger That
Penna.
Thetrifleness of this thread...and the responses, just make it more clear to me how real Christ is.
No one gives a shrug to Muhammad or Buddha, but mention Jesus and you have responses.
I think after this thread is sone, maybe a flight to the Middle East and convince them that Ramaddan offends you.

Return to Top
#464673 - 12/02/05 04:56 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Michael, how do you bare the persecution you have suffered?

I'm not saying I'm suffering, I'm saying that the people who are offended by someone saying Merry Christmas need to get a life.

As for why we use "pagan symbols", it's the same reason the ritual of Isis from Egyptian religion/mythology was incorporated nearly word for word into Christian (particularly Catholic) practices. It's hard to form a "new" religion without incorporating the new. Christianity over the ages has incorporated practices from nearly every religion it encountered. The message didn't change, but habits were added.

We don't worship the Yule log either, or St. Nick. We worship Christ and have a little fun with presents for His birthday and decorating a tree with ornaments, angels, and garland and lights. HE is still THE REASON for the season.

Return to Top
#464674 - 12/02/05 05:00 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

This country is supposed to guarantee freedom of religion, but most only think that applies to different denominations of the Christian faith. It's sad.

This is not an issue I'm all worked up about, but I couldn't resist responding to that statement. It's freedom of religion, not freedom from religion! How is it that it's fine and dandy for a Muezzin (sp?) to do his prayer call at many hours of the day from a window in a mosque in a town in Michigan (over the objections of neighbors who simply don't like the noise) but it's not okay for people to say "Merry Christmas?"

If you are a Christian, I believe you should be sensitive to people of other faiths or no faith. If you work for an employer with the public, you owe a duty to your employer to be sensitive to those you work with and serve. But for goodness sake, everybody lighten up! If a Muslim wishes me peace during Ramadan, I'm not offended, and I would hope that he/she wouldn't be offended if I wished him/her Merry Christmas!

Return to Top
#464675 - 12/02/05 05:05 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I don't think you are looking at the whole picture. Say you walked into every store and ALL it said was Happy Kwanza and there was no mention of Christmas at all. You would get indignant and complain about it.

No, I don't think anyone would anymore than they would get indignant and complain that a Muslim shop owner does not have any acknowledgement of Christmas at his shop.

Return to Top
#464676 - 12/02/05 05:08 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Why not try to treat everyone with respect? Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing as being politically correct? If people would just consider the feelings of others instead of focusing on a narrow personal agenda we wouldn't have this discussion.

Right on. And when someone says Merry Christmas to you, just respect that it is important to them rather than getting all worked up.

Return to Top
#464677 - 12/02/05 05:12 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I think that some poeple just worked up about thinking someone is asking them to change. In fact no Christian loses anything by wishes someone Happy Holiday. They just manage to include many different groups of people. I don't see it as anyone being OFFENDED by someone saying Merry Christmas. It's just more asking the Christians in this country to recognize that there are different faiths.

Can't each person's greeting reflect their own faith or lack thereof without offending. Allowing everyone to give a greeting that identifies their faith or lack thereof is the ultimate freedom in recognizing there are a variety of beliefs.

Return to Top
#464678 - 12/02/05 05:16 PM WARNING: Highly Offensive Insensitive Post
Anonymous
Unregistered

WARNING: Highly Offensive Insensitive Post

MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMASMERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS MERRY CHRISTMAS

Return to Top
#464679 - 12/02/05 05:19 PM Re: WARNING: Highly Offensive Insensitive Post
Pirate Offline
Diamond Poster
Pirate
Florida
LOL!

Return to Top
#464680 - 12/02/05 05:26 PM Re: Drop "Merry Christmas"?
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO

TO: All Employees

DATE: 4th November 2005

RE: Christmas Party

I'm happy to inform you that the company Christmas Party will take place on December 23rd, starting at noon in the private function room at the Grill House. There will be a cash bar and plenty of drinks!

We'll have a small band playing traditional carols...please feel free to sing along. And don't be surprised if the MD shows up dressed as Santa Claus! A Christmas tree will be lit at 1.00p.m.. Exchange of gifts among employees can be done at that time; however, no gift should be over $10.00 to make the giving of gifts easy for everyone's pockets. This gathering is only for employees! The MD will make a special announcement at the Party.

Merry Christmas to you and your Family.

Pauline

_____

DATE: 5th November 2005

RE: Holiday Party

In no way was yesterday's memo intended to exclude our Jewish employees. We recognise Hanukah is an important holiday, which often coincides with Christmas, though unfortunately not this year.

However, from now on we're calling it our 'Holiday Party'. The same policy applies to any other employees who are not Christians. There will be no Christmas tree or Christmas carols sung. We will have other types of music for your enjoyment.

Happy now?

Happy Holidays to you and your family,

Pauline.

_____

FROM; Pauline Lewis, Human Resources Director

DATE: 6th November 2005

Regarding the note I received from a member of Alcoholics Anonymous requesting a non-drinking table...you didn't sign your name. I'm happy to accommodate this request, but if I put a sign on a table that reads, "AA Only", you wouldn't be anonymous anymore!!!! How am I supposed to handle this? Somebody?

Forget about the gift exchange, no gift exchange allowed now since the Union Officials feel that £10.00 is too much money and Management believe $10.00 is a little cheap. NO GIFT EXCHANGE WILL BE ALLOWED.

Pauline.

_____

DATE: 7th November 2005

What a diverse group we are! I had no idea that December 20th begins the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which forbids eating and drinking during daylight hours. There goes the party! Seriously, we can appreciate how a luncheon at this time of year does not accommodate our Muslim employees' beliefs, perhaps the Grill House can hold off on serving your meal until the end of the party - or else package everything up for you to take home in a little foil doggy bag. Will that work? Meanwhile, I've arranged for members of Weight Watchers to sit farthest from the dessert buffet and pregnant women will get the table closest to the toilets, Gays are allowed to sit with each other, Lesbians do not have to sit with gay men, each will have their own table. Yes, there will be flower arrangements for the gay men's table too. To the person asking permission to cross-dress - no cross-dressing allowed. We will have booster seats for short people. Low fat food will be available for those on a diet. We cannot control the salt used in the food we suggest those people with high blood pressure taste the food first.. There will be fresh fruits as dessert for Diabetics; the restaurant cannot supply "No Sugar" desserts. Sorry! Did I miss anything?!?!?!?!?!

Pauline.

_______

TO: All F****** Employees

DATE: 8 November 2005

RE: The Holiday Party.

Vegetarian pxxxks I've had it with you people !!! We're going to keep this party at the Grill House whether you like it or not, so you can sit quietly at the table furthest from the "grill of death", as you so quaintly put it, you'll get your f****** salad bar, including organic tomatoes, But you know tomatoes have feeling too, They scream when you slice them. I've heard them scream. I'm hearing the scream right NOW!! I hope you all have a rotten holiday, drink drive and die.

The Bitch from HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
_____

DATE: 9th November 2005

RE: Pauline Lewis and Holiday Party

I'm sure I speak for all of us in wishing Pauline Lewis a speedy recovery, and I'll continue to forward your cards to her. In the meantime, the Management has decided to cancel our Holiday Party and instead give everyone the afternoon of the 23rd December off with full pay.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5