Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#465585 - 12/05/05 04:50 PM Personal Line of Credit secured by investment prop
Ninky Offline
Gold Star
Ninky
Does a personal line of credit secured by investment property (rental) fall under section 226.5b disclosure requirements? We're in Texas, so I know if is their homestead (primary residence) we comply with Sect 50(a),Art XVI of our Texas Constitution. If using a second home to secure a PLC, we still have to provide the Federal Govt disclosure requirements of 226.5b. But do we also have to provide these disclosures if the PLC is secured by investment property? Is this considered a HELOC, not a TX HELOC, but under Federal Regs? It is a consumer purpose loan, but the collateral is a 1-4 investment property. Thanks for any help out there.

Return to Top
#465586 - 12/07/05 04:17 AM Re: Personal Line of Credit secured by investment prop
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You have to look toward the exemption found in 226.3 for rental property. If the property is exempt, then it would not be covered under 226.5b:

3. Non-owner-occupied rental property. Credit extended to acquire, improve, or maintain rental property (regardless of the number of housing units) that is not owner-occupied is deemed to be for business purposes. This includes, for example, the acquisition of a warehouse that will be leased or a single-family house that will be rented to another person to live in. If the owner expects to occupy the property for more than 14 days during the coming year, the property cannot be considered non-owner-occupied and this special rule will not apply. For example, a beach house that the owner will occupy for a month in the coming summer and rent out the rest of the year is owner occupied and is not governed by this special rule. See Comment 3(a)–4, however, for rules relating to owner-occupied rental property.

4. Owner-occupied rental property. If credit is extended to acquire, improve, or maintain rental property that is or will be owner-occupied within the coming year, different rules apply:

• Credit extended to acquire the rental property is deemed to be for business purposes if it contains more than 2 housing units.

• Credit extended to improve or maintain the rental property is deemed to be for business purposes if it contains more than 4 housing units. Since the amended statute defines dwelling to include 1 to 4 housing units, this rule preserves the right of rescission for credit extended for purposes other than acquisition.

Neither of these rules means that an extension of credit for property containing fewer than the requisite number of units is necessarily consumer credit. In such cases, the determination of whether it is business or consumer credit should be made by considering the factors listed in Comment 3(a)–2.

Return to Top
#465587 - 12/07/05 05:17 PM Re: Personal Line of Credit secured by investment prop
Ninky Offline
Gold Star
Ninky
What I am struggling with is, this is a personal line of credit(consumer purpose), but it is to use as they wish, ready funds access. It is not to acquire, improve or maintain the 1-4 investment property. The property is strictly the collateral.

Return to Top
#465588 - 12/08/05 05:38 PM Re: Personal Line of Credit secured by investment prop
juliad Offline
Gold Star
juliad
Dallas, TX
Since the purpose is consumer, I believe the requirements for 226.5b and 226.6 would apply. Reg. Z HELOC requiremetns aren't limited to principal dwelling. They apply when an open-end lien of credit for consumer purposes is secured by any residential dwelling (1-4 family). So I think you have a Reg. Z HELOC, but not one subject to the Texas Homestead restrictions of Article XVI 50(a)(6).

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z