Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#468139 - 12/08/05 11:03 PM USPS money order scams
kittynbee Offline
New Poster
kittynbee
Apple Valley, Ca. USA
Hello. We have been tying to sell our boat through the recycler.com. We recieved an Email from someone claiming to be in Germany saying that the boat was EXACTLY what he had been looking for and he wanted to buy it sight unseen. Not even a pic. or anything, he told us he had an american associate who owed him money and he would contact him to send us 3000.00. The boat was for sale at 1400.00 He then said the associate(Who has the same terrible grammer and spelling as him) would be sending payment with USPS money. We were to cash it, take our money, then he said to immediately wire the remaining 1500.00 (minus the cost to wire the money)to his shipper(whom I have never heard of). We asked him to call us at first and he told us he didnt have access to a phone, that he had email only.Well my mother in law told us before that there were alot of scams out there with USPS money, so I wrote him telling him we would have to wait for it to clear. So far he hasnt emailed us again, but now all of a sudden he is trying to call us now. He didnt sound German though. We are refusing to talk to him, I really feel that he is trying to scam us. What should I do? Am I doing the right thing?

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#468140 - 12/08/05 11:49 PM Re: USPS money order scams
flaire Offline
100 Club
flaire
sw us
If he can't wire you the money - and the exact amount - then don't do business with him. Better to be safe than sorry!

Return to Top
#468141 - 12/09/05 12:21 AM Re: USPS money order scams
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
take the postal money order to your nearest post office and ask them to verify it. 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of the time it will be counterfit.

Edited to add: also, a postal will never be more than a thousand dollars.
Last edited by MaxguyTX; 12/09/05 12:24 AM.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#468142 - 12/09/05 02:22 AM Re: USPS money order scams
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
They will send you counterfeit USPS money orders. These money orders will take many many weeks to be returned. This guy is trying to stick you for $1,500. Don't accept his calls and delete his e-mails.

Return to Top
#468143 - 12/09/05 06:18 PM Re: USPS money order scams
Big Dog Offline
Power Poster
Big Dog
Kennel
This is FRAUD
This is FRAUD
This is FRAUD
This is FRAUD

By the way, did I mention that this is FRAUD!

Another Nigerian scam with a German (or lack there of) accent.

Return to Top
#468144 - 12/09/05 09:57 PM Re: USPS money order scams
kittynbee Offline
New Poster
kittynbee
Apple Valley, Ca. USA
Thank you everyone, you definately helped me feel better about this. I havent heard a word from the guy since we told him to stay away from us. I appreciate the advice!

Return to Top
#468145 - 12/15/05 07:23 PM Re: USPS money order scams
-A- Offline
Gold Star
-A-
the good ole south
Yes, it should always raise red flags where someone is offering to send a payment instrument for over the amount you are asking.

Return to Top
#468146 - 12/21/05 10:42 PM Re: USPS money order scams
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
We have a customer that was just informed that several USPS money orders she received and deposited are counterfeit. She is looking at a huge loss that she cannot afford. It is the typical scam, I send you money orders, you cash/deposit them and wire the funds back to me. Unfortunately, she fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z