Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#46897 - 12/04/02 08:14 PM CRA Investments
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I was reading a section of Kirchman's CRA, and came across a section that stated:
"one of the most favored investments" is the sale (below cost) or gift of a branch
to a minority or women's bank as long as it's located in a predominantly minority
neighborhood...

Has any one ever done this??

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#46898 - 12/05/02 04:15 PM Re: CRA Investments
Lucy Griffin Offline

Diamond Poster
Lucy Griffin
It has been done, but I'm not sure I'd call it a "favored" investment. When a financial institution sells a branch in such a location, it loses the location for itself!

Return to Top
#46899 - 12/05/02 04:21 PM Re: CRA Investments
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Lucy,
Thanks. What I meant by favored was by examiners, not banks.

Return to Top
#46900 - 12/05/02 06:19 PM Re: CRA Investments
Lucy Griffin Offline

Diamond Poster
Lucy Griffin
I know that regulators think that support through sales, rentals, and donations of facilities is generally a good thing, but I wouldn't put it in the "favored by examiners" class because of the quid pro quo. The bank is losing a branch in a low income area and is likely to lose points on the branch closing.

As for what investments examiners favor, the OCC has put out an updated directory of CRA investments that examiners believe are good CRA investments. Also, the San Francisco FRBank has issued a similar publication. These make good source material for ideas.

Return to Top
#46901 - 12/05/02 08:13 PM Re: CRA Investments
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
These deals are always "favored" when they're new. But as investment ideas become old hat, they're of value...but lose their "favored" status. What's favored tends to be the new and innovative stuff. So your favored of the week might be a new "favored" next week when we all catch onto your nifty idea and copy you.

I'm inventing something new this year...hopefully I'll make the "favored" list But at least I'll get some creative credit. With little investment opportunity..I pretty much have to get creative every year!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#46902 - 12/05/02 09:28 PM Re: CRA Investments
Lucy Griffin Offline

Diamond Poster
Lucy Griffin
Dawnie -- I'm looking forward to hearing about your new creativity. Your previous efforts have been excellent!

Return to Top
#46903 - 12/05/02 10:42 PM Re: CRA Investments
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Why thank you Lucy! Keep your fingers crossed! My regulator thinks I have a good chance and if approved this would have benefits for alot of banks in the U.S.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z