Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#46987 - 12/05/02 03:08 PM Saving e-mail on servers, part 2
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
Fox News picked up the Reuters story on the Wall St. firms fined this week (Dec. 3) for not retaining e-mail. Here's the link:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,72018,00.html

My questions: Does anyone have the link to the SEC or NASD rule that these fines stem from? I need to provide management with some background. I'm researching this separately, but a direct link will save me a step.

Is there any similar guidance for banks, either publicly traded or privately held? Or does this apply strictly to brokerage-related electronic communications?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#46988 - 12/05/02 03:24 PM Re: Saving e-mail on servers, part 2
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The SEC page has a press release. It includes:
* Violated Section 17(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, Rule 17a-4 under the Exchange Act, NYSE Rule 440 and NASD Rule 3110 by failing to preserve for a period of three years, and/or preserve in an accessible place for two years, electronic communications relating to the business of the firm, including interoffice memoranda and communications.

* Violated NYSE Rule 342 and NASD Rule 3010 by failing to establish, maintain and enforce a supervisory system to assure compliance with NASD and NYSE rules and the federal securities laws relating to retention of electronic communications.

These are SEC rules.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#46989 - 12/05/02 03:25 PM Re: Saving e-mail on servers, part 2
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT Offline
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
HERE is a good starting point

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z