Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#470496 - 12/15/05 01:42 PM In Memory of...
Anonymous
Unregistered

As I was driving in to work this morning, I was thinking of all the people who have died and I really miss them. I guess it is the time of the year. Who do you miss?

My maternal grandfather died in 1998 at age 91. Great man. I miss visiting him.

Two roommates from college. One died at age 26 and the other at age 35. One from a fall and the other from an auto accident. Both way too young.

My best friend from graduate school. Auto accident. We had so much fun despite the drudgery of graduate school. Our motto: "We make grad school bearable!"

Return to Top
#470497 - 12/15/05 02:03 PM Re: In Memory of...
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
My parents died around the holidays 31 years ago. I still have a good cry every year at this time over missing them. And my cousin, who just died this fall.

But..life goes on. I have a new grand niece and grand nephew, who bring joy and energy and push the sadness aside.

Return to Top
#470498 - 12/15/05 02:23 PM Re: In Memory of...
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
Just for this year alone:

My coworker Marie.
My cousin Jeremy, 28, murdered. He left behind a 1 1/2 yr old little boy, Cadence.
I just found out yesterday that an ex-bf of mine died Sunday.

All of the above way too young and for needless reasons.

And of course my grandmother who passed years ago, but I still miss her like crazy.

Return to Top
#470499 - 12/15/05 02:25 PM Re: In Memory of...
Cathy P Offline
Gold Star
Cathy P
NE
My great grandmother who died several years ago (she had the best laugh) and my great aunt who was only in her 40's that died a few years ago from cancer (she had a great sense of humor and stories).

But like Nanwa said life goes on. I've got a beautiful 3 month old son and 2 year old daughter that occupy my brain and heart.

Return to Top
#470500 - 12/15/05 03:05 PM Re: In Memory of...
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
My brother. He died when I was 16 and he was 18. That was the most devastating loss in my life.

Return to Top
#470501 - 12/15/05 03:13 PM Re: In Memory of...
Jay Bruce Offline
Platinum Poster
Jay Bruce
The New Loft Chamber
My son, John Cameron (1/20/97-3/16/97), as well as my grandparents and one great-grandmother.

"A man in a kilt is a man and a half!"

Return to Top
#470502 - 12/15/05 03:26 PM Re: In Memory of...
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
My parents - my dad died in October last year and I lost my mother this past July. I have a huge hole in my heart. We also lost my uncle this past June and a dear family friend in August. It's been a rough year and the holidays are really tough.

My prayers for all of you who are missing loved ones.

Return to Top
#470503 - 12/15/05 03:28 PM Re: In Memory of...
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
My dad passed away 25 years ago. He was only 38 years old, which is my age today. Much too young. He was in a mining accident. It saddens me that he will never get to play with his grandson, but I know he is watching over him and all of us from up above! I like to think of him as our guardian angel.

Return to Top
#470504 - 12/15/05 03:33 PM Re: In Memory of...
Big Dog Offline
Power Poster
Big Dog
Kennel
My son, Bobby. 6/28/91 - 1/14/92. Gone, but forever in our hearts.

Return to Top
#470505 - 12/15/05 03:42 PM Re: In Memory of...
moonpie Offline
St. Louis, MO
I lost my husband to colon cancer in September of '04 and my best friend to lung cancer in June of '04. I miss them dearly.

Return to Top
#470506 - 12/15/05 04:09 PM Re: In Memory of...
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
People always say losing a loved one at the holidays is the hardest, but I disagree. Losing a loved one is ALWAYS hard; but at least the holidays provides temporary distraction from the sad thoughts. I always thought, after Dad died on December 20, 1974, that Christmas would never be a happy season for me again. I was wrong. Sure, the first couple were difficult; trying to start new traditions and painfully remembering the old ones, but, as time passed, the new traditions took hold, and the memories of the old ones are not quite as painful anymore.

You have to take baby steps to bring the holiday joy back. Listen to a happy Christmas song or carol and REALLY get into it. Close out the world for that 3:05 minutes. Go to that holiday party, accept your friends condolences graciously, then talk about good things happening in THEIR lives. Their joy will be contagious. Go to your preferred place of worship and think on the history and meaning of this season, way, way, way before your pain happened.

Once you can do those kinds of things, expand on them. Volunteer at Toys for Tots, ringing bell (my favorite), at a soup kitchen or food pantry. Helping others and seeing their appreciation for the little things helps your mood a lot.

Don't worry that you might cry. Everyone everywhere has at one time or another known sorrow like yours, and will be understanding. And if not, hey, that's THEIR problem, ain't it?

Love, peace and comfort to all.

Return to Top
#470507 - 12/15/05 04:55 PM Re: In Memory of...
arb Offline
100 Club
Illinois
My grandmother, almost 18 years ago, she was my best friend.
My grandfather, 5 years ago.

But this year has been rough, especially on my 8 year old son. Since Labor Day weekend we have lost my husbands grandmother, my other grandmother, our next door neighbor (age 30 and we had grown up together) and my great aunt. 2006 has to be better.

BUT, everyone we lost is with the Lord now and knowing that we too will see them again helps us get through.

Return to Top
#470508 - 12/15/05 05:19 PM Re: In Memory of...
#12 Offline
Diamond Poster
My great grandma, who died 7 years ago.
My niece who passed away in May
My best friend's baby girl who passed away in September
My uncle who passed away in May (who we all loved, even though he was a Detroit Lions fan )

Return to Top
#470509 - 12/15/05 05:33 PM Re: In Memory of...
RachelD Offline
Gold Star
My grandmother who died unexpectedly 3 weeks ago. She was my hero.

Return to Top
#470510 - 12/15/05 05:38 PM Re: In Memory of...
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
Both my great grandmother and my grandmother who passed within a month of each other three years ago. That was the toughest time of my life.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#470511 - 12/15/05 05:39 PM Re: In Memory of...
juliad Offline
Gold Star
juliad
Dallas, TX
My father. Christmas was his favorite holiday and such a special time for our family. This will be our 3rd without him. We still enjoy each other and happily celebrate with family and friends. But I miss him even more at this time of year. The memories come with smiles instead of (or sometimes along with) tears.

Return to Top
#470512 - 12/15/05 06:00 PM Re: In Memory of...
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
My son asked why I didn't like the holidays recently and I tried to explain that it isn't that I don't like the holidays, I don't like the sadness I feel. It doesn't matter how long ago they passed, you still miss them. Both my parents are gone as well as too many others to list. My father spent his last Christmas in the hospital.
Ithink it's part of the child in me that misses all the times we had. I've always tried to make Christmas special for my son, I guess he was more perceptive than I thought. And yes, I do usually shed a couple of tears around this time.

Return to Top
#470513 - 12/15/05 06:07 PM Re: In Memory of...
sunshinelv Offline
New Poster
Nevada
My sister who passed 6 years ago, her son my nephew 2 years ago and a great friend 5 years ago.

BUT...they all hold a special place in my heart and it's so strange sometimes I find myself even smiling at some of the things that I do that they would have made fun of or just would have down right talked about me for. They are always a part of us, because they have touched us in so many ways!

Return to Top
#470514 - 12/15/05 06:12 PM Re: In Memory of...
Anonymous
Unregistered

My father, who will be gone from this world 10 years on 04/17/2006. He was and is my hero, and I will see him again!

Return to Top
#470515 - 12/15/05 06:22 PM Re: In Memory of...
Rainbow Girl Offline
Gold Star
Midtown
My ex husbands Grandfather. I know that sounds far removed, but he was our "Pop".

Return to Top
#470516 - 12/15/05 06:26 PM Re: In Memory of...
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
My father who passed away in 1991, my mother who passed in 1999 and my father-in-law who passed away this last April. I miss them all, for different reasons and in different ways. I especially missed my parents when both my boys were married, they would have liked both my daughter-in-laws. I miss the "verbal sparing" with my father-in-law, I was the only one that would. Holiday's always bring back thoughts of them, I just try to remember the good things and be grateful they were a part of my life. My best friend died in 1965 and I wonder what her life would be like now if she had not been in that accident. I would like to think she would be happily married with lots of kids, she would have been a good mother.

Return to Top
#470517 - 12/16/05 12:34 AM Re: In Memory of...
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Quote:

My son asked why I didn't like the holidays recently and I tried to explain that it isn't that I don't like the holidays, I don't like the sadness I feel. It doesn't matter how long ago they passed, you still miss them. Both my parents are gone as well as too many others to list. My father spent his last Christmas in the hospital.
Ithink it's part of the child in me that misses all the times we had. I've always tried to make Christmas special for my son, I guess he was more perceptive than I thought. And yes, I do usually shed a couple of tears around this time.

tahdah, your son does sound very perceptive and caring. I hope he doesn't have memories when he is an adult of his mom always being sad a Christmas. I hope you can share all the wonderful memories you have that now make you sad with him in a way that you both can cherish them. I guess what I am saying, I hope you can let the good times you had with your family out weigh the saddness you have because they are gone.

Return to Top
#470518 - 12/16/05 01:18 AM Re: In Memory of...
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
Oh KC, I've always thought that I've given him great Christmases. I've gone over and above to make it as great as my parents made it for me. When he was in grade school and beginning to not believe it snowed alot on Christmas Eve. I think he was in 5th grade (I know thats pretty late to still believe) but here I was out at midnight taking my thumb and first 2 fingers to make reindeer prints and the handle of a broom to make sled runners in the snow. Prior to that we spread magic reindeer food out (crumbled shredded wheat) but in a magic bag. He took pictures to show all the non-believers and Santa did exist. I don't think I ever let him see me sad while he believed. Now that he doesn't, I guess I just don't get as caught up in the magic. We also have a little problem with him expecting way too much for Christmas and he's laying the guilt trip that he doesn't get as much. Well, there is not as many family members around to give him stuff and as I told him, I could get a lot of gifts when things cost less, now everything he wants is over $100.00. I wish I had done what my cousin did with her boys. She was far more religious than me and stressed that baby Jesus got only 3 gifts and that's all her kids would get in keeping with the season, but since I only had one, and worked, (she stayed home) I always went hog wild, in part since we had the money and I felt guilty.
We just don't have big family to-do's since my husbands whole family lives out of state, far far away. We went 2 years ago and my son doesn't want to go back because no one put up any decorations and Grandma insisted giving him presents the week before Christmas so he woke up with nothing to open and no tree. We had done presents at home prior to leaving, but he had hoped his grandma would have something on Christmas morning. The more I write the more I'm seeing him playing me about Christmas. I think he's got it pretty good, it's just that we don't have the big family Christmas that he see's others having, or whats on TV. Thanks for your concern.

Return to Top
#470519 - 12/16/05 03:27 PM Re: In Memory of...
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Just lost my mother in law this morning to colon cancer and althemiers. Now we know, she must have been in terrible pain for a long time, possibly years, but always put on a perky front. I will always remember that about her; always a smile and a kind word. She will be missed.

Return to Top
#470520 - 12/16/05 04:42 PM Re: In Memory of...
Big Dog Offline
Power Poster
Big Dog
Kennel
Nanwa, very sorry for your loss.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett