Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#474894 - 12/24/05 05:08 PM How to get formal bank credit training
WABanker Offline
New Poster
Hello, I am new to the board here, and i have a quick question if I may. I have been in banking for 5 1/2 years now, the last 1 1/2 I have been an Assistant Branch Manager, responsible for consumer lending and operations mostly. I want to move to commercial lending/banking, but every job lead I find requires at least 1 year of formal/bank credit analysis training. My credit analysis experience is limited to consumer lending. Does anybody have any ideas about where I can get my start in the commercial side of the business, entry level etc...or where i can get the training. My current employer has this line of business but there are NEVER any openings over there.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#474895 - 12/24/05 08:42 PM Re: How to get formal bank credit training
flaire Offline
100 Club
flaire
sw us
ABA, ICBA and Kirchman all probably have classes. Check out their websites.

Return to Top
#474896 - 12/25/05 02:26 AM Re: How to get formal bank credit training
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Formal training programs are few and far between although I understand Wachovia agan has a commercial training program.

RMA (Risk Management Association, formerly Robert Morris Association), has commercial courses available in a variety of formats. You can check at their website.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#474897 - 12/25/05 05:36 PM Re: How to get formal bank credit training
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
This sort of training at a bank will be difficult to come by these days. If you haven't had college level accounting classes consider taking some for credit.

There are a number of on line courses available here are a couple.

http://www.aba.com/Online+Courses/OLC_AFS.htm

http://www.bizhotline.com/html/financial_management__analyzin.html

You might also consider investing in some analysis software and start spreading financial statements on your owm. Make contact with someone in your bank that does analysis, and see if they would review your work and pass on some of there knowledge to you. Its also a good way to get an inside tract with those that have some influence in hireing people for that department.

http://www.mbaware.com/fincom.html

Return to Top
#474898 - 12/27/05 02:56 PM Re: How to get formal bank credit training
02bonne Offline
Platinum Poster
As a former credit analyst, the best training i've seen has been through CFT (Center for Financial Training) http://www.cftusa.org/locquery.asp?area=WA
I started out as an assistant branch manager and went straight into credit analysis (commercial). I worked on the small stuff at first (<250,000) for the first few years, while my team leader trained me on the job. Probably the best training you can have is a HR Block corporate tax return training class. Just a review of how to read them and the workings of a balance sheet and income statement. The rest of commercial credit analysis is fairly straight forward in theory.

I atteneded a bank management class at Marquette that would have been a good foundation. It taught commercial credit analysis as well as introduced the idea of compensating balances, securitization, collateral valuation and many other things. I can't find a link to the book we used, but if you're interested pm me and i'll search harder and send you a link. It has the information to give you a good base to speak intellegently about credit analysis.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z