Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#478243 - 01/04/06 04:34 PM Signature for Online banking - OTS Banks
ETH Offline
Does your bank require a physical signature for your online banking, or an e-signature or no signature at all? (if you are an OTS bank)

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#478244 - 01/04/06 05:13 PM Re: Signature for Online banking - OTS Banks
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
We were not OTS. We allowed the first phase of internet banking to be allowed w/o a signature. When transfer capabilities came about and real money was at risk, instead of just confidential information, pen & ink signatures were required and security practices enhanced.

That said, I just spent a few minutes looking but didn't see it. I thought there was a post recently where the OTS did have additional restrictions apart from other agencies, but I think it was notice to them that you'd have a web site. I could be wrong and am not a guru on OTS rules. Still, some authorization you can trace back is always wise.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#478245 - 01/04/06 06:16 PM Re: Signature for Online banking - OTS Banks
ETH Offline
Thanks Andy! We are in Massachusetts and it seems the state regs are much more restrictive.

Return to Top
#478246 - 01/06/06 02:03 PM Re: Signature for Online banking - OTS Banks
etm614 Offline
Platinum Poster
etm614
Massachusetts
I believe that state regs also require the signatures of all account owners for electronic transactions (i.e. Internet banking, debit and ATM cards). Doesn't make sense in light of the fact that any joint owner has full and independent rights to do anything with the funds in the account.

Return to Top
#478247 - 01/06/06 02:28 PM Re: Signature for Online banking - OTS Banks
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Quote:

I believe that state regs also require the signatures of all account owners for electronic transactions (i.e. Internet banking, debit and ATM cards). Doesn't make sense in light of the fact that any joint owner has full and independent rights to do anything with the funds in the account.

To clarify, the state rules alluded to apply to Massachusetts accounts. There may be similar rules in other states, but these particular ones are found in Massachusetts General Laws, chapter 167B.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z