Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#479711 - 01/07/06 03:34 PM HMDA Home Improvement Temp Financing
bgehres Offline
100 Club
We have a 6 month unsecured home improvement loan where the expected repayment source is the sale of farm ground. Is this considered temporary finacing?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#479712 - 01/07/06 08:30 PM Re: HMDA Home Improvement Temp Financing
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
IMHO - it's a short term loan and reportable.

Return to Top
#479713 - 01/09/06 04:35 PM Re: HMDA Home Improvement Temp Financing
bgehres Offline
100 Club
The way I read it from post #46113, temporary financing is when the bank knows that the loan will be paid from another loan or an asset sale. Wouldn't this case fall under that "definition"?

Return to Top
#479714 - 01/09/06 04:38 PM Re: HMDA Home Improvement Temp Financing
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
The sale of the farm land is a source of income not permanent financing. Therefore this would be a reportable loan.

Return to Top
#479715 - 01/09/06 05:04 PM Re: HMDA Home Improvement Temp Financing
#12 Offline
Diamond Poster
It is unsecured though, so it would only be reportable if the bank classifies it as home improvement...correct?

Return to Top
#479716 - 01/09/06 05:05 PM Re: HMDA Home Improvement Temp Financing
bgehres Offline
100 Club
IMO - Your permanently financing your home improvements with the sale of farm land, your obtaining a loan so you can do the improvements now and not wait 6 months. I don't see how the sale of R/E is a source of income that falls into the category of wages, christmas bonus, etc.

Return to Top
#479717 - 01/09/06 05:42 PM Re: HMDA Home Improvement Temp Financing
bgehres Offline
100 Club
Quote:

It is unsecured though, so it would only be reportable if the bank classifies it as home improvement...correct?

Yes, it was classified as a home improvement loan.

Return to Top
#479718 - 01/09/06 05:45 PM Re: HMDA Home Improvement Temp Financing
#12 Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, it was classified as a home improvement loan.

Then I would report it.

Return to Top
#479719 - 01/09/06 06:07 PM Re: HMDA Home Improvement Temp Financing
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

IMO - Your permanently financing your home improvements with the sale of farm land, your obtaining a loan so you can do the improvements now and not wait 6 months. I don't see how the sale of R/E is a source of income that falls into the category of wages, christmas bonus, etc.

If the property being improved is the farm land, and this loan is for purposes of "bridging" the time between improvements and sale of the improved property, then you can probably make a good argument for "temporary" financing.

This does not appear to be the case.

Also, as you can see by this thread the regulatory agencies are not all that clear these days on what is and what is not temporary financing, especially when it comes to home improvement.
Last edited by Bonnie M; 01/09/06 06:12 PM.

Return to Top
#479720 - 01/09/06 07:28 PM Re: HMDA Home Improvement Temp Financing
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
As Bonnie pointed out there is a lot of confusion and dissension in the compliance world today on temporary financing due to a bulletin put out by the FDIC KC Regional Office and a new Q&A by the FFIEC.

IMO you have a temporary loan - and at this time I have the backing of the FDIC Chicago Regional office via their SCANS bulletin CHIRO-07-2002 and my district examiner.

My advice is to contact your regional examiner and report, or not report, per their advice.

Until an official communication is produced by the Board defining temporary financing there will no longer be any "consensual" agreement on what constitutes temporary financing.

Return to Top
#479721 - 01/09/06 07:54 PM Re: HMDA Home Improvement Temp Financing
bgehres Offline
100 Club
I agree with Dan. My next question would be, how is this different from a "splash and dash" loan. Wouldn't they be repaid from the sale of an asset? When the next person buys the house there's probably a 99% chance they're going to obtain a loan to buy the house. Wouldn't this distort the data by "counting it twice". In my opinion, these types of loans are not what the regulation was intended to monitor.

Return to Top
#479722 - 01/09/06 08:20 PM Re: HMDA Home Improvement Temp Financing
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

In my opinion, these types of loans are not what the regulation was intended to monitor.

And this is what happens when a bureaucratic reading of regulation gets in the way of the spirit. See the discussion on ISB banks trying to get credit for Community Development Loans.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z