Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#48028 - 12/10/02 10:44 PM Wisconsin State Banking Laws
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
Could anyone point me to where I could find the specific laws that cover Wisconsin Banking? I've looked at Wisconsin Bankers Association and the Wisconsin Departent of Financial Institutions. I'm stumped!

Return to Top
#48029 - 12/12/02 05:36 PM Re: Wisconsin State Banking Laws
VickiS Offline
100 Club
VickiS
Madison, Wisconsin
Are you looking for something in particular? The Wisconsin Consumer Act contains some good information; specifically Chapters 422 - 424.

Vicki Rae

Return to Top
#48030 - 12/13/02 03:54 PM Re: Wisconsin State Banking Laws
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
The Bank I work for is FDIC regulated, however I know there are seperate State Banking laws. I'm trying to find what State Banking Laws cover WI. It has been the attitude that even if things are Federal Laws, if it isn't mandated by the ST. of WI, then we don't have to do anything about it.

Return to Top
#48031 - 12/13/02 09:31 PM Re: Wisconsin State Banking Laws
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Try this site, www.legis.state.wi.us. Select Wisconsin Law then you can select statutes, administrative code, etc. The Wisconsin Consumer Act is found under the statutes section.

Return to Top
#48032 - 12/13/02 10:00 PM Re: Wisconsin State Banking Laws
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
Thank you very much!

Return to Top
#48033 - 04/24/03 03:55 PM Re: Wisconsin State Banking Laws
Anonymous
Unregistered

I assume you've been able to obtain the information you requested since this post is somewhat older, but be cautious about the "attitude" you refer to in the post - State chartered banks in Wisconsin are subject to both state laws/regulations and federal laws - if you only follow federal laws that are also mandated by Wisconsin statutes, then you may be violating 99.9999% of federal banking laws (there are far more federal laws to obey than laws where Wisconsin has codified similar ones - in fact, most states's laws do not codify most federal laws, just make additional ones to further restrict activities).

The Wisconsin DFI website (http://www.wdfi.org/fi/banks/statutes.htm) has all the banking statutes PLUS the "Rules", both sets of which have items your bank must abide by. As I understand it, the "Rules" are administrative rather than statutory in nature, but still must be followed. And remember, if you can't find anything under the statutes section, there is a strong likelihood that there could be relevant material under the rules setcion.

Return to Top