Thread Options
#481742 - 01/11/06 10:34 PM Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
By CANDICE CHOI

Thin is still in, but apparently fat is nowhere near as out as it used to be.

A survey finds America's attitudes toward overweight people are shifting from rejection toward acceptance. Over a 20-year period, the percentage of Americans who said they find overweight people less attractive steadily dropped from 55 percent to 24 percent, the market research firm NPD Group found.

With about two-thirds of U.S. adults overweight, Americans seem more accepting of heavier body types, researchers say. The NPD survey of 1,900 people representative of the U.S. population also found other more relaxed attitudes about weight and diet.

While body image remains a constant obsession, the national preoccupation with being thin has waned since the late 1980s and early 1990s, said the NPD's Harry Balzer.

Snip........... Yahoo News
____

Perhaps I'm wrong - people generally find fat people not unattractive?

Although, since a random survey would more than likely end up with more than 60%+ of respondents fat people, I do wonder about the survey.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#481743 - 01/12/06 12:57 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Actually, that was on the local news this morning. They showed a clip all of these huge butts and bellies (no heads)... I cracked up laughing thinking "I wonder what it would be like to see one of those on TV and it belonged to you?" LOL! "Gee, that is my hubby's belly, OMG!"

Return to Top
#481744 - 01/12/06 03:57 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
lol dq i always thought about too!!! how embarrassed i would be,i'm the smallest one in my family besides my mom and stepdad and younger sister everyone else is big not my guy cousins or their family, but my grandma (moms side) my uncle all my girl cousins like i when we were taking christmas photos and i was looking back i was like WHOa!! big momma's but i still love them and i wouild love them even if they got to be really obese

Return to Top
#481745 - 01/12/06 04:16 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, but would you love yourself if it happened to you. You never know.

Return to Top
#481746 - 01/12/06 04:26 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Quote:

lol dq i always thought about too!!! how embarrassed i would be,i'm the smallest one in my family besides my mom and stepdad and younger sister everyone else is big not my guy cousins or their family, but my grandma (moms side) my uncle all my girl cousins like i when we were taking christmas photos and i was looking back i was like WHOa!! big momma's but i still love them and i wouild love them even if they got to be really obese

Very telling, nUnZeO, as my understanding is that one needs to look at the MOM to generally see how the daughter is going to 'work out' later in life, so with your Mom being 'small' perhaps you will also be 'small' later in life. Looking good - but I don't see a picture?

Return to Top
#481747 - 01/12/06 04:37 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
doodle Offline
Platinum Poster
doodle
colorado
I don't buy it. I'm more inclined to believe (as stated in the article) that it is more pc to say that you don't discriminate. There is such a difference in how I'm treated now as opposed to when I was even 10lbs overweight.

Return to Top
#481748 - 01/12/06 04:38 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Good thing my Mom is thin...

Return to Top
#481749 - 01/12/06 04:44 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
Anonymous
Unregistered

forget mom, my GRANDMA still has a beautiful body! Gotta love my gene pool!

Pixie

Return to Top
#481750 - 01/12/06 04:49 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fat people disgust me. There is no excuse for it other than laziness. Even those who are genetically predisposed to be large can limit their 'fattyness' with only a few lifestyle changes. Do some jumping jacks instead of watching your damn reality TV, or if you're that hooked on it, do them while your watching your shows. Eat smaller meals, and if your job lets you get away with it, eat many small meals throughout the day instead of one or four large ones. Here's an idea too: Cook and prepare your own food instead of dropping by the grease-ball-burger joint on the way home. Most important, and easy---> Just move around folks; it's not that hard to do!

Return to Top
#481751 - 01/12/06 04:51 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Fat people disgust me. There is no excuse for it other than laziness. Even those who are genetically predisposed to be large can limit their 'fattyness' with only a few lifestyle changes. Do some jumping jacks instead of watching your damn reality TV, or if you're that hooked on it, do them while your watching your shows. Eat smaller meals, and if your job lets you get away with it, eat many small meals throughout the day instead of one or four large ones. Here's an idea too: Cook and prepare your own food instead of dropping by the grease-ball-burger joint on the way home. Most important, and easy---> Just move around folks; it's not that hard to do!

That's because all of your "fattyness" is in your head. Try thinking a bit once in awhile and fire up some empathy; it's not that hard to do!

Return to Top
#481752 - 01/12/06 04:52 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
What do they define fat as? I only ask because it seems if we go by government standards, then most people would be considered fat.

Return to Top
#481753 - 01/12/06 04:58 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

then most people would be considered fat.

I think that's the point being made

Also, for the Anon critic, what about people with thyroid diseases. I have a couple friends who were twigs before they had thyroid problems and then gained a lot of weight (sometimes due to the actual thyroid medication). They could eat nothing but grass and still be "fat"

Return to Top
#481754 - 01/12/06 05:00 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
ThePaul Offline
Diamond Poster
ThePaul
Dallas, TX
I'm the exact opposite... I have to work hard to GAIN weight, if i get lazy my weight drops fast. I've had to work my -ss off just to get to 175lbs (6'0), otherwise I'd be like 150. I'd like to be around 190 but thats not gonna happen anytime soon - while everyone else is trying to limit what they eat I make a weightgainer smoothie to go with half my meals

Return to Top
#481755 - 01/12/06 05:14 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
there is noooo way your 175 you look so skinny!!!

Return to Top
#481756 - 01/12/06 05:16 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
ThePaul Offline
Diamond Poster
ThePaul
Dallas, TX
bring a scale to work and put some money on it
I weigh myself like 2-3 times a day so I'm pretty sure I'd know

Return to Top
#481757 - 01/12/06 05:18 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

bring a scale to work and put some money on it
I weigh myself like 2-3 times a day so I'm pretty sure I'd know

Paul, just say that it is what you can't see that accounts for much of the weight

Return to Top
#481758 - 01/12/06 05:21 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
ThePaul Offline
Diamond Poster
ThePaul
Dallas, TX
lol

Return to Top
#481759 - 01/12/06 05:21 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would never date an overweight girl, not even if it was slight.

Return to Top
#481760 - 01/12/06 05:21 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
OMG!!!LOL wow now i'm gona look at him differently

Return to Top
#481761 - 01/12/06 05:27 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
Quote:

whats slightly over weight, muscle weighs more than fat are you talking BMI or just on looks alone

Return to Top
#481762 - 01/12/06 05:34 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Quote:

So muffin tops are out for you?

Return to Top
#481763 - 01/12/06 05:39 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
Anonymous
Unregistered

you know what I am talkinig about. I am not even fond of muscular gals. They all say they are muscular, but its really fat.

Return to Top
#481764 - 01/12/06 05:41 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

OMG!!!LOL wow now i'm gona look at him differently

After that party, you're probably looking at everyone differently (double?)

Return to Top
#481765 - 01/12/06 05:44 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thyroid disease is simply that: a disease. Two thirds of the US do not suffer from this disease, they suffer from atrophy of both the mind and body and it's disgusting.

Return to Top
#481766 - 01/12/06 06:00 PM Re: Americans Find Being Fat Not Unattractive
Nuts Offline
I'm not thin, but I think the definition of thin has changed. Look at Lindsey Lohan - she was better looking before she lost 20lbs. - and she wasn't fat before by any means. If Lindsey now is "thin", I'd prefer her "fat" as she was before. I wonder if that isn't how people are starting to think....

Return to Top
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6