BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#482842 - 01/13/06 06:13 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Report this immediately; this is not a joking manner, I believe it is a crime and it should be handled by the police.

Why wait to see if he does it again? What if next time he has a real gun and you did not do anything on this occasion?

What if someone gets hurt down the road?

Potential libaility here if you fail to report the incident.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#482843 - 01/13/06 06:14 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
A police report should be filed - failure to do so by bank's management is an indicator of their willingness to, or not, fully protect their employees!

Return to Top
#482844 - 01/13/06 06:20 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Report it. If you know who he is, the police can find him. If he REALLY was just joking around, he will learn that for those of us who have been on the other end of a gun, or even a FAKE gun, it's NOT A JOKE AT ALL.

+1 on this. I've drawn a weapon on someone 'just playing' with a fake gun, before. Scary as [censored] for them, not much more fun for me. It wouldn't take much for a situation like that to end very, very badly.

Return to Top
#482845 - 01/13/06 06:35 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I knew where your bank was, I'd call the police for you.

Return to Top
#482846 - 01/13/06 06:50 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Here's another voice to help underscore how important it is for your bank to report this incident immediately. It is not a joke any more than if this person pulled the same stunt at the airport. Report it. NOW.
Last edited by Homestar; 01/13/06 06:54 PM.

Return to Top
#482847 - 01/13/06 06:55 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
Another one here who says to REPORT it.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#482848 - 01/13/06 07:05 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Let me just add another angle on why you should report it (or maybe someone already said this):

What if the next time, he does it to someone else with a real gun? What if he hurts them? It's not just yourself that you (and your bank) have to think of.

Return to Top
#482849 - 01/13/06 07:11 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why are there so many damn weirdos in this world?

Return to Top
#482850 - 01/13/06 07:19 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wish BOL would trace you and call the cops. If they know where you are and don't do so, do they have a duty? Hmmm!

Return to Top
#482851 - 01/13/06 07:21 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Anonymous
Unregistered

How do we know that he did not intend to rob you, but changed his mind? You are in the wrong line of work if you do not report this.

And, since this is a public forum, the entire world now knows that they can walk into a bank and pull this stunt and tellers and managers will blow it off.

Return to Top
#482852 - 01/13/06 07:26 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Quote:

And, since this is a public forum, the entire world now knows that they can walk into a bank and pull this stunt and tellers and managers will blow it off.

This is an incorrect conclusion - at our bank, law enforcement would be called. Immediately!!!

Return to Top
#482853 - 01/13/06 07:35 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
Yes, the alarm would be sounded as soon as the person said it here.

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#482854 - 01/13/06 07:36 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
~~~izzo~~~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~~~izzo~~~
NY
Now you all have me thinking I should have pushed for more to be done. Tuesday, our branch manager will be at this branch for the day. I will explain everything to her. I don't want to get anyone into trouble either. My head is still throbbing from the stress of it all. But, I'm much calmer now. I appreciate all the feedback on this.

Return to Top
#482855 - 01/13/06 07:41 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
its just like if someone says they have a bomb at the airport, it's not worth it to wonder if the person is playing or not. This is one of those things that should be ZERO tollerence(sp?).

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#482856 - 01/13/06 07:59 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
If you wait until Tuesday to escalate it to the branch manager, you're silently saying that it was not a big deal because it could wait until Tuesday.

I suggest calling the branch manager TODAY.

Return to Top
#482857 - 01/13/06 08:08 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Look, izzo, I don't want to scare you, (really, I don't) but what if this person was simply on a test run today just to see how you would react and now he's planning to pull the real thing tomorrow or Tuesday? Don't take that chance, as Leia suggested, I think you should call your branch manager before you go home today. (Preferably as soon as you read this message.)

If you were my son/daughter or wife, and you told me this happened, I'd be on the phone with the police myself, right now.

Return to Top
#482858 - 01/13/06 08:31 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Quote:

...I don't want to get anyone into trouble either...

Are you kidding me?! Is that what you were thinking when you thought the gun was real?

You are more concerned that this person gets into trouble than for the safety of yourself or others that he may/may not hurt? Oh, ~~~izzo~~~, please please do the right thing here.

There is only one thing to do. Everyone here agrees. Go to the police. Period. Now.

Return to Top
#482859 - 01/13/06 08:34 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Report it. If your branch manager won't take further action, go over her head and contact your security officer.

Also, if you fear that this person may come back to you with further threats, request a transfer to a different branch/department.

Return to Top
#482860 - 01/13/06 08:35 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
~~~izzo~~~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~~~izzo~~~
NY
Quote:

Quote:

Are you kidding me?! Is that what you were thinking when you thought the gun was real?

You are more concerned that this person gets into trouble than for the safety of yourself or others that he may/may not hurt? Oh, ~~~izzo~~~, please please do the right thing here.

There is only one thing to do. Everyone here agrees. Go to the police. Period. Now.

No, I don't want to get my boss into trouble for going over her head. You know how that can be. It sucks.

Return to Top
#482861 - 01/13/06 08:45 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, I don't want to get my boss into trouble for going over her head. You know how that can be. It sucks.

You are more worried about getting your boss in trouble than about reporting someone who walked into a bank and acted like he was pointing a gun at you? Trust me, if you go to your supervisor and tell them that you are going to call the police, if they try to stop you, they should get in trouble. If they don't get in trouble, you shouldn't work there. Go to them and tell them that you ARE calling the police and that you want their agreement, but don't worry about getting them in trouble. Worrying about that, if they insist you don't call the police, is like worrying about getting the drunk Captain of the Exxon Valdez in trouble.

I have to tell you izzo, I am surprised that we are even having this conversation. Call the police with or without your supervisor's support, but give your supervisor the opportunity to do the right thing. If your supervisor does not do the right thing, you did not get him/her in trouble, he/she did that to herself or himself.

You wanted advice, you got it. CALL!

Return to Top
#482862 - 01/13/06 08:47 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
dare2dream Offline
100 Club
dare2dream
California
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I can understand your point; however, there is NO WAY you can let this go. Everyone here is right, the next time may be REAL, and what if it's not you, what if it's someone else, and you find out that you could have avoided someone else going through that kind of a situation. GO TO YOUR MANAGER NOW, ESCALATE IT TO SECURITY, it's why these people are in these positions.

Return to Top
#482863 - 01/13/06 08:50 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

One more thing. No, I don't know how that can be. Maybe with relation to something else, but not a person saying they are robbing the bank and acting like they have a gun.

Remember what I told you: 1) give the boss the opportunity to do the right thing; 2) if your boss makes a bad choice and gets in trouble, you DID NOT get him/her in trouble.

Buck up and go do it, right now! One more post with you protesting and I am going to start believing that this whole post was a hoax.

Return to Top
#482864 - 01/13/06 08:57 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
~~~izzo~~~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~~~izzo~~~
NY
Thanks again everyone. I've taken your advice and gone to my boss first. She is going to call the main branch and talk to someone there and take it from there. I realize I will have to repeat everything, but I'm ok with it now. I feel better about taking it farther. Thanks again. What a day!

Return to Top
#482865 - 01/13/06 09:01 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
If it's an issue, somehow let your boss know that there are 20+ bankers ready to call the police for her - so what's her hold-up (oops - bad pun)

Return to Top
#482866 - 01/13/06 09:06 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Thanks again everyone. I've taken your advice and gone to my boss first. She is going to call the main branch and talk to someone there and take it from there. I realize I will have to repeat everything, but I'm ok with it now. I feel better about taking it farther. Thanks again. What a day!

If she says that they said, "don't do anything" then I'd be suspicious that she did not call anyone. If this happens, tell her you'd still like to talk to them and complete some sort of internal report. If for no other reason, if they ignore this and then this crazy person hurts you or someone at the bank, you've got yourself covered. If they won't take a report, write it up and insist it be put in your HR file.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4