Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#482817 - 01/13/06 04:31 PM Scary situation this morning
~~~izzo~~~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~~~izzo~~~
NY
The reason I ask, is this morning I had a customer who showed up at my teller station with a black hat over his hand (appeared to be coving a gun)pointed at me and he asked for all my money. Now, I did know this customer, however, he appears to be a real freak and a bit unstable.
The bottom line is, he scared the crap out of me. I had no idea if he was for real or if it was a joke. I often wondered how I'd react if I was looking down the barrell of a shot gun at the bank. This customer had my heart racing and I kept wondering if I was going to hear the gun go off and if it was going to hurt. I just knew it was going to hit my heart. After what seemed like forever, he pulled the hat off his hand and leaned over the counter and said "Scared ya, didn't I..." He did. But, I sort of blew it off to him, as I wasn't sure how to handle the situation at that point. However, after he left, I had to walk away and calm myself down as I truly believed he had a gun pointed at me. I did go to my boss to let her know what took place. What a horrible thing to do to someone. Anyone else experience something similar?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#482818 - 01/13/06 04:34 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
no never, just reading your post got me ancy(sp?) that would freak me out so bad that i would have to go home, no seriously like that would ruin my day and i would probably not be able to work.

Return to Top
#482819 - 01/13/06 04:34 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you report it to the police?

Return to Top
#482820 - 01/13/06 04:39 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
~~~izzo~~~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~~~izzo~~~
NY
No, I did not report it to the police. My boss said if he ever did it again, we would. The sick thing is, this guy works in the school district. I don't believe he's a school teacher or anything, but he really is scary. I'm not sure I'm happy with how things were handled. I'm still a bit unsettled.

Return to Top
#482821 - 01/13/06 04:39 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Should have called your security or the police as soon as you knew you were safe, and before he had the chance to leave. It was a threat and he can likely be charged with something because of it.

Return to Top
#482822 - 01/13/06 04:40 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
I've interviewed people who have been held up at gun point. Quite a few of them ended up in counseling to help their nerves.

Return to Top
#482823 - 01/13/06 04:43 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Wow, I think I would freak out if something like that happened. I'm glad for you that it was just a hoax and not real, but even so that would scare the heck out of me.

Return to Top
#482824 - 01/13/06 04:44 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Anonymous
Unregistered

izzo you NEED to pursue this.

Return to Top
#482825 - 01/13/06 04:45 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

No, I did not report it to the police. My boss said if he ever did it again, we would.

Your boss is wrong. If he has the chance to do it again, it could be for real next time and someone could get hurt. The police should be involved.

Return to Top
#482826 - 01/13/06 04:48 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
I agree with unreg. Go back to your supervisor and ask him/her to escalate. Tell them you're not comfortable waiting on this customer and explain in detail what occurred. If I were managing your branch, I would close the account and send the customer a check even if I chose not to report to the police.

Return to Top
#482827 - 01/13/06 04:51 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
Before I started working in banking, I was the manager of some high dollar jewelry stores. I had a similar thing happen to one of the girls who worked for me. I called the police right away and they actually found the guy still wondering the mall. Your boss was wrong. It is their responsibilty to help oversee the safety of their employees. He may be long gone by now, but I would still call the cops. At least a report would be filed if it ever happened again.

Return to Top
#482828 - 01/13/06 04:52 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

I agree with unreg. Go back to your supervisor and ask him/her to escalate. Tell them you're not comfortable waiting on this customer and explain in detail what occurred. If I were managing your branch, I would close the account and send the customer a check even if I chose not to report to the police.

That's a great idea -- unlikely he is one of your more valued customers.

Return to Top
#482829 - 01/13/06 04:53 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Slick, we don't even need to worry about whether he's long gone - he's a customer; they know where he lives. If they get the police involved, the police can go right to him. And they should.

Ask Ron Mexico, I'm sure he'll tell you this was a crime: assault.

Return to Top
#482830 - 01/13/06 04:55 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
~~~izzo~~~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~~~izzo~~~
NY
See, a part of me wants to have this go further. However, this guy would know it was me who turned him in. He appears to be the type who would seek revenge. I would not want to see him mad. He's really odd. He's always coming in saying really freaky things.... kind of scary things. He is NOT normal. I'm not going to test the waters with him. Seems like we should have at least pulled the security tape though. Have it on hand.

Return to Top
#482831 - 01/13/06 04:55 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Anonymous
Unregistered

What you just described would be, at a minimum, "terroristic threatening," a crime in my home state.

Your boss is wrong, it should be reported now and the account should be closed unilaterally. If you post your anecdote in the Security Forum I guarantee that's the advice you will get.

Return to Top
#482832 - 01/13/06 04:56 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
I agree. Contact the police. At my bank, we have various levels. If the manager doesn't take it serious, we have the security office or VP our employees can contact to elevate.

Since you know who it is and you probably have cameras showing what he did, you should have enough proof to report it to the police.

Return to Top
#482833 - 01/13/06 05:12 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wouldn't want to work for a boss or company that wouldn't take something like this seriously enough to report it to the police. Employee safety should be their number one concern.

Return to Top
#482834 - 01/13/06 05:13 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
Quote:

See, a part of me wants to have this go further. However, this guy would know it was me who turned him in. He appears to be the type who would seek revenge. I would not want to see him mad. He's really odd. He's always coming in saying really freaky things.... kind of scary things. He is NOT normal. I'm not going to test the waters with him. Seems like we should have at least pulled the security tape though. Have it on hand.

then you get something to where he can't come on or near the premises of the bank and if he does call the police and they will arrest him for trespassing

Return to Top
#482835 - 01/13/06 05:29 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
I would want the police called. They can talk to him and lead him to believe management or a monitoring service saw what he did on tape and called it in. Explain to the police your concerns. They are trained to deal with these types of people.

Furthermore, I wouldn't want to work for a place that wasn't willing to report this incident to the authorities. Next time may not be a joke!

Return to Top
#482836 - 01/13/06 05:45 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
If it had been a 'stranger' robbery attempt, how would you have contacted security or the police? I realize that the key difference in your mind was that you knew the person, but, your reaction should really have been the same. You don't know that he *didn't* have a gun.

Return to Top
#482837 - 01/13/06 05:47 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

No, I did not report it to the police. My boss said if he ever did it again, we would. The sick thing is, this guy works in the school district. I don't believe he's a school teacher or anything, but he really is scary. I'm not sure I'm happy with how things were handled. I'm still a bit unsettled.

WHAT!! Call the police, now. This is not fun and games.

Return to Top
#482838 - 01/13/06 05:50 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Anonymous
Unregistered

It should also be reported to the school district!

Return to Top
#482839 - 01/13/06 05:51 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

The rational move is to call the police. You don't have to do it and the bank can do it based on the security camera, not your testimony. You can play the part of the reluctant stool pigeon, if it'd help. You can even require a subpeona if it goes to court. You must call the cops, NOW! You are much more likely to get hurt if you don't. And what if he does this again and a security guard blows him away or someone has a lifetime of trauma because of it? Call the police.

Return to Top
#482840 - 01/13/06 05:52 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

It should also be reported to the school district!

No. Don't involve his work. The police will take care of that. Your bank could get sued if you start messing with is employment.

Return to Top
#482841 - 01/13/06 05:55 PM Re: Scary situation this morning
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Report it. If you know who he is, the police can find him. If he REALLY was just joking around, he will learn that for those of us who have been on the other end of a gun, or even a FAKE gun, it's NOT A JOKE AT ALL.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4