Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#482898 - 01/13/06 05:07 PM HMDA - Income
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
I am in the process of a HMDA data integrity audit to ensure data accuracy before submission, and came across a loan which was HMDA reportable, and the HMDA was properly completed. My problem is this, there was no application taken, so I have no way by looking at the file to verify the application date, income or ethnicity, race and sex information. How would you handle this?

(Please don't bash me about my lending department and underwriting etc. that is another issue entirely )

Return to Top
Audit
#482899 - 01/13/06 07:09 PM Re: HMDA - Income
poppy Offline
100 Club
Jennifer, if there is nothing in the file that indicates what income figure the loan officer used in making the credit decision you would report your income as NA.

Return to Top
#482900 - 01/13/06 08:00 PM Re: HMDA - Income
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Quote:

I am in the process of a HMDA data integrity audit to ensure data accuracy before submission, and came across a loan which was HMDA reportable, and the HMDA was properly completed. My problem is this, there was no application taken, so I have no way by looking at the file to verify the application date, income or ethnicity, race and sex information. How would you handle this?

(Please don't bash me about my lending department and underwriting etc. that is another issue entirely )

Not to sound harsh, but how was the HMDA "properly completed" without an application? For that matter, how can you verify anything including whether or not this is HMDA reportable without an application? If you have access to the person who took this application, go back and have them provide the information for the file and you too. Trust me, if you don't, this is the file the examiners will have you pull for them, I guarantee it!

Return to Top
#482901 - 01/13/06 08:33 PM Re: HMDA - Income
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
The file is documented stating the purpose of the loan, so I know it is a HMDA reportable transaction and all the necessary data was completed on the HMDA data collection sheet. The loan officer states that this is a well known customer to him and he asked the customer for his income and documented it on the HMDA data collection sheet. Race and gender were completed on his visual observation.

I shouldn't have used "properly" completed, just completed as necessary by the regulation with all required information

Return to Top
#482902 - 01/13/06 09:06 PM Re: HMDA - Income
Reed Offline
Diamond Poster
Reed
West Coast
Quote:

Race and gender were completed on his visual observation.

The LO can only note GMI based on visual observation if the application was made in person and the customer declines to provide the info after being given the disclosure statement. "This guy is a buddy of mine so I know he is a white male" does not cut it.

Return to Top
#482903 - 01/13/06 09:13 PM Re: HMDA - Income
Reed Offline
Diamond Poster
Reed
West Coast
This might also apply as would internal policy/procedures as to what constitutes a completed application

Regulation B

Sec. 202.4 General rules.

(c) Written applications. A creditor shall take written applications for the dwelling-related types of credit covered by §202.13(a).

Sec. 202.13 Information for monitoring purposes.

(a) Information to be requested—(1) A creditor that receives an application for credit primarily to purchase (or to refinance a home purchase loan) a dwelling occupied or to be occupied by the applicant as a principal residence, where the extension of credit will be secured by the dwelling, shall request as part of the application the following information regarding the applicant(s):

Return to Top
#482904 - 01/13/06 09:47 PM Re: HMDA - Income
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Thanks Bliss, I can see we have a Reg B violation, but right now I am more concerned with the data that I have and can I use it as it stands? Will it pass data integrity or is it going to cause enough of a problem that we have to start over collecting 2005 data. We will be addressing this going forward, for certain!

Return to Top
#482905 - 01/13/06 09:59 PM Re: HMDA - Income
Reed Offline
Diamond Poster
Reed
West Coast
I feel your pain, Jen. Personally I'd log what you have, give the LO a friendly whack upside the head, and move on.

I'd just document that you did what you could with what you had and addressed the issue with the LO. That's really all you can do, IMHO.

Return to Top
#482906 - 01/14/06 06:05 PM Re: HMDA - Income
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
You didn't give the purpose of the loan so you may not have a Reg. B problem. Reg. B only requires a written application where the loan request is to purchase or refinance the purchase of the applicant's primary residence and will be secured by that residence. That is the only time that any regulation requires a written application.

A refinancing under Reg. B does not carry the same definition as Reg. C. If the proceeds from the refinancing are used for any purpose other than refinancing the purchase transaction then it is not a refinancing for Reg. B monitoring purposes.

From the Commentary:

Transactions not covered. The information-collection requirements of this section apply to applications for credit primarily for the purchase or refinancing of a dwelling that is or will become the applicant's principal residence. Therefore, applications for credit secured by the applicant's principal residence but made primarily for a purpose other than the purchase or refinancing of the principal residence (such as loans for home improvement and debt consolidation) are not subject to the information-collection requirements. An application for an open-end home equity line of credit is not subject to this section unless it is readily apparent to the creditor when the application is taken that the primary purpose of the line is for the purchase or refinancing of a principal dwelling.

As for as documenting your dates and income, use the dates and income documented in the credit memo by the LO.

Return to Top
#482907 - 01/16/06 02:42 PM Re: HMDA - Income
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Thanks Dan....that commentary will help a lot. After taking the weekend to think about it. I am going to move forward, documenting what I did to remedy these and submit. I will write it up explaining that the process will be changing going forward and then I'll give the loan officer a black eye to prove I got the point accross! (Just kidding with the last part.) Thanks for everyone's help and input.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z