Thread Options
#485684 - 01/19/06 03:59 PM Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Tony Phyrillas

January 18, 2006 - That Ted Kennedy is a Democrat is irrelevant. That Ted Kennedy is a liberal doesn’t matter, either. The fact that Ted Kennedy is a buffoon should be of concern to all of Americans. The United States, collectively, should be embarrassed to have Ted Kennedy serving in the Senate.

So many liberals are concerned about America’s image abroad. They coddle the corrupt United Nations because it matters to them how America is perceived.

If anyone outside the United States watched Kennedy’s performance during the confirmation hearings for Judge Samuel Alito, they would come away with only one impression of the state of American politics. The circus has come to town. The only thing missing from Kennedy’s wardrobe was a red rubber nose and oversized shoes.

Snip........ New Media Journal
______

I propose a Constitutional amendment prohibiting Massachusetts from voting in national elections until the good folks of the Bay State stop electing the likes of Ted Kennedy and John Forbes Kerry to the Senate.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#485685 - 01/19/06 05:03 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Anonymous
Unregistered

The state of US politics is total argument. We may fall prey to the same fate as Rome.

Return to Top
#485686 - 01/19/06 05:44 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

We may fall prey to the same fate as Rome.

May?

Every society has an expiration date.

Return to Top
#485687 - 01/19/06 05:54 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chi's got a wizardly good point mate. The US has done remarkably well for a nation. As historians say, all that rise must fall eh? Here's a buzzer for you all: When America falls (don't be saying it won't... it's a matter of time) what will replace it? I saw a book an American Author wrote called "Mexifornia." With all those people you keep letting in and keeping their culture, I think it'll end up being reclaimed by the Latinos and Abos.

Return to Top
#485688 - 01/19/06 06:05 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Anonymous
Unregistered

blah blah blah

Return to Top
#485689 - 01/19/06 06:06 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep, you must be an American. I can tell by how you talk.

Return to Top
#485690 - 01/19/06 06:08 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Anonymous
Unregistered

I meant we may fall prey to internal squabaling that will leave us weak. Not that we would not have an experation at all.

Return to Top
#485691 - 01/19/06 06:09 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Anonymous
Unregistered

ah, apologies mate. You're a right one then. Cheers.

Return to Top
#485692 - 01/19/06 06:58 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
Since World War II, the US has been the leader of nations, both in terms of political, military, and economic strength. However, like the many empires before us (the Roman Empire, the Spanish Empire, the British Empire) all collapsed for various reasons. The American Empire, too, will fall, not so much from a political or military standpoint, but from an economic one. How many more years before China's GDP eclipses that of the US? In 2004, China's GDP was $7.3 trillion (not including Hong Kong), and the US GDP was $11.8 trillion. China has a massive trade surplus; the US has a trade deficit. If there is one country poised to pass over the American Empire, I would argue it would be China.

Return to Top
#485693 - 01/19/06 07:16 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Steven you continue to post foolish information. China has no method of measuring their GDP. Those figures are just estimates. Second, China's average income is still in the poverty level and it is far from pulling out of it. Third, China is a communist country and like all communist counties, unless China changes, they will not grow like we have.

Your surplus deficit needs to be explained. The reason for China's surplus is because they cannot afford what they sell and we can.

The last point is when you take inflation into account Chinas GDP does not grow that much (I think around the 6% mark). Where does that surplus go? Well lets just say to the coutries that are benefitting from their growth (like the US).

Lastly, this has little to do with America failing because of Kennedy or failing at all for that matter.

Return to Top
#485694 - 01/19/06 07:19 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would say that Tom DeLay is the clown prince.

Return to Top
#485695 - 01/19/06 07:20 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another regurgation from X....

Think for yourself!

Return to Top
#485696 - 01/19/06 07:21 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shemp here. Anon is right about China not having a means to measure GDP. Their gov't comes out with a number but they have no uniform method of measuring it.

According to Steve's reasoning only the highest GDP producer has not collapsed as a country. I feel sorry for the other 167 then.

Return to Top
#485697 - 01/19/06 07:43 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Also, Steven, there is no such thing as a trade deficit.

Return to Top
#485698 - 01/19/06 07:47 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

...there is no such thing as a trade deficit.

So, what words do you use to describe the condition where the value of imports is greater than the value of exports?

Return to Top
#485699 - 01/19/06 07:49 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

So, what words do you use to describe the condition where the value of imports is greater than the value of exports?

There is no such condition.

Return to Top
#485700 - 01/19/06 07:50 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Why don't you start a new thread with the subject, "Jokermans views on the supposed 'trade deficit'"?

Return to Top
#485701 - 01/19/06 08:01 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
J, I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Are you saying that there is no such thing as a macroeconomic condition known as a trade deficit? Or are you saying the U.S. doesn't have such a condition? Or are you saying (as does this guy from the Cato Institute) that it doesn't matter if we do?

Cato Institute - Griswold Congressional Testimony

Return to Top
#485702 - 01/19/06 08:01 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Why don't you start a new thread with the subject, "Jokermans views on the supposed 'trade deficit'"?

Right after I start the one titled "Jokerman's views on the alleged Apollo moon landing"

Return to Top
#485703 - 01/19/06 08:09 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shemp here. I am curious about this trade defecit discussion. I am not sure if J is being serious or just joking about it. But I could argue on his behalf with a few theories (I am not sure if I believe them or not, I have not spent much time with them). But it would be an interesting topic.

Return to Top
#485704 - 01/19/06 08:37 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
All I am trying to say, in the simplist terms, is that, sooner rather than later, the economy of China will move ahead of the US economy. Whether measured accurately or not is not the issue; that it will happen is. As more and more manufacturing jobs are moved overseas,our ability to produce goods is diminished. Anyone that thinks that our economy will remain in first place is a fool.

Return to Top
#485705 - 01/19/06 08:47 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
What I'm saying is, that trade is an exchange that two parties enter into voluntarily because each perceives value in what they will obtain. The condition of the US purchasing more widgets from China than they buy from us is not a deficit of trade. It simply reflects the cumulative effect of individual transactions that each party perceives to be of value. If a US individual purchases widgets that they value more than they value $1, from a Chinese company that values $1 more than they value the widgets, both have gained - there is no deficit. Over time, imbalances in the amounts of goods, services, or investments desired by each party will influence the values of currencies, the cost of labor, etc., and those changes will ultimately impact on the costs of goods and the perceived values in such exchanges.

Now, whether or not trading with China is a good idea (strategically) is a separate question, but there is no doubt that it has a positive economic impact.

Return to Top
#485706 - 01/19/06 08:49 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

sooner rather than later, the economy of China will move ahead of the US economy

Not so long as they remain an mostly unfree economy and we remain a mostly free economy.

Quote:

Anyone that thinks that our economy will remain in first place is a fool.

We will so long as we remain the largest free country in the world. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant of history.

Return to Top
#485707 - 01/19/06 08:49 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

All I am trying to say, in the simplist terms, is that, sooner rather than later, the economy of China will move ahead of the US economy. Whether measured accurately or not is not the issue; that it will happen is. As more and more manufacturing jobs are moved overseas,our ability to produce goods is diminished. Anyone that thinks that our economy will remain in first place is a fool.

So if 10B people make $10 in goods and one person makes $9B in goods the 10B people are much better off? Where did you go to college?

Return to Top
#485708 - 01/19/06 08:52 PM Re: Ted Kennedy: Clown Prince of the Senate
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Quote:

So if 10B people make $10 in goods and one person makes $9B in goods the 10B people are much better off? Where did you go to college?

The DeVry School of Macroecomics and Fly-tying

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3