Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#48654 - 12/13/02 05:24 AM from overdraft to a loan
katjat Offline
New Poster
Our bank (in Texas) frequently slams overdraft DDA accounts on Existing loans that an OD customer has. Isn't that a Reg Z violation? I am interested in hearing any feed back regarding the law on this so I can have a valid argument to discourage this. I feel that our bank will be in serious trouble or be in a lawsuit.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#48655 - 12/13/02 11:08 AM Re: from overdraft to a loan
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Reg Z has very little to say about post closing changes to loans. This is nevertheless a questionable practice. Do your notes allow for additional advances under these circumstances? If not, how would you enforce collection of this extra amount?

Return to Top
#48656 - 12/13/02 12:03 PM Re: from overdraft to a loan
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
You should consult counsel. This may not be seen as a valid form of setoff, there could be questions as to collateralizing the overdraft and of moving a short term overdraft to the loan, effectively "hiding" a problem. Your deposit agreement and loan contracts would need to be reviewed.

I have heard of this before. I can't say it is wrong, but I believe it is gray at best. While not a "Z" issue, it certainly could be a questionable practice.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#48657 - 12/13/02 02:17 PM Re: from overdraft to a loan
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
If you are adding to a home loan would you not need a right of recission on the increase?

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#48658 - 12/13/02 03:13 PM Re: from overdraft to a loan
katjat Offline
New Poster
These OD accounts are never added to R/E loans, only loans that are secured by property (cars, tractors,CD's, etc.) This is a common practice here and the loan customer is never asked or told that this is being done. A situation has come up recently with a customer that has almost finished paying off his truck note and the bank had slammed $1000 on the note. The customer paid about half off and refused to pay the rest when he figured out what the amount was from (Mainly NSF fees) and now our bank is trying to repo the cusomers truck. This is one of many cases here.

Return to Top
#48659 - 12/13/02 03:23 PM Re: from overdraft to a loan
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
In reply to:

You should consult counsel.

I think Andy has the best answer for you here. It sounds to me you may be heading for some problems. If your loans have "spreader clauses" in them, you may find a loophole, but definitely take Andy's advice and contact your legel counsel.

Return to Top
#48660 - 12/13/02 04:20 PM Re: from overdraft to a loan
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
When you say truck loan, are you adding the overdrafts to closed end loans too?

Return to Top
#48661 - 12/13/02 04:38 PM Re: from overdraft to a loan
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Are you accruing interest on these? Interest on the fees would be a definite no-no.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#48662 - 12/13/02 11:07 PM Re: from overdraft to a loan
katjat Offline
New Poster
Yes we are. It is to my understanding that If any of the overdraft amount is NSF fees, then you should not add interest. The bank has been nearly fined in a previous audit. It seems that depending on the auditor, a clear answer is never given as to the legal issue.

Return to Top
#48663 - 12/13/02 11:10 PM Re: from overdraft to a loan
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
You need to get the bank's attorney to review this practice.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z