Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#488006 - 01/24/06 06:05 PM Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigrants
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigrants

It's the American dream -- buying a home for your family. And now you don't have to be in the country legally to own one.

"We're not required to ask the immigration status of any of our customers. That is the responsibility of the federal government," Wells Fargo bank representative Jerry Ruiz said.

The program is called "Celebrate Home" and Wells Fargo says it complies with all federal regulations, 10News reported.

Applicants do need a tax identification number issued by the Internal Revenue Service for people who do not have Social Security numbers.

Snip........ Yahoo
_______

How can they secure an IRS Tax ID that is not a Social Security Number, also? This is not a good idea.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#488007 - 01/24/06 06:26 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigrants
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
X, with his usual bombast, harumphed:
Quote:

How can they secure an IRS Tax ID that is not a Social Security Number, also? This is not a good idea.

You don't actually work in banking, do you?

Return to Top
#488008 - 01/24/06 06:36 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigrants
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
It all depends on your definition of "work".

Return to Top
#488009 - 01/24/06 08:50 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
X, it is an ITIN, good for tax paying purposes only but now accepted as a government issued ID because it is! The IRS issues them without verifying immigration status. They can be accepted by banks for account opening purposes.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#488010 - 01/24/06 10:14 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

ITINs are a necessary evil needed in order for the U.S. to comply with international treaties. And, of course, for the IRS to collect all the revenue it can.

Return to Top
#488011 - 01/24/06 10:16 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, and by the way, the IRS recently changed the rules to become an ITIN Acceptance Agent:

New Rules for Acceptance Agents

Return to Top
#488012 - 01/25/06 02:16 AM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
How does a bank comply with CIP vis a vis illegal aliens?

Return to Top
#488013 - 01/25/06 03:12 AM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

How does a bank comply with CIP vis a vis illegal aliens?

C'mon, guys. CIP rules don't have anything to do with verification of immigration status any more than they require banks to verify that somebody is engaged in a legal business. It's irrelevant to the identification process.

Focusing on the CIP implications of immigration status is a red herring. The legitimate question everyone avoids asking is whether or not a bank is required to file a SAR if it suspects that someone is in the country illegally. Somebody needs to ask FinCEN that question in a public forum. (I'm not brave enough, or I would have done it already.)

Think about it.

Return to Top
#488014 - 01/25/06 04:57 AM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

The legitimate question everyone avoids asking is whether or not a bank is required to file a SAR if it suspects that someone is in the country illegally.

The reg says that a "transaction" requires reporting if, among other things, it "is conducted or attempted by, at, or through the bank", and it "involves or aggregates at least $5,000". Someone's immigration status is not a transaction, is not conducted through the bank and does not involve any sum of money.

Return to Top
#488015 - 01/25/06 01:59 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Here is the easy way to tell. If they come in with a state issued ID, (at least in California) they are either here legally, or the documents are fraudulent. Matricular Consular cards, which fortunately we are not as yet required to accept for opening an account, only necessary for illegals.

Return to Top
#488016 - 01/25/06 02:53 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

The reg says that a "transaction" requires reporting if, among other things, it "is conducted or attempted by, at, or through the bank", and it "involves or aggregates at least $5,000". Someone's immigration status is not a transaction, is not conducted through the bank and does not involve any sum of money.

True, but what if you conduct a $5,000.00 transaction for someone you suspect to be in the country illegally? (Don't think that undocumented immigrants don't have money. Some of them have lots of it.)

Here's something interesting published recently by the White House:

President Applauds House for Passing Immigration Reform Bill
I applaud the House for passing a strong immigration reform bill. America is a nation built on the rule of law, and this bill will help us protect our borders and crack down on illegal entry into the United States. Securing our borders is essential to securing the homeland. I urge the Senate to take action on immigration reform so that I can sign a good bill into law. (Link)

Return to Top
#488017 - 01/25/06 05:40 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
The administration gets a failing grade (see, we're not all lock-step) in its handling with the illegal immigration problem and border security. Everytime they mention amnesty-oops-guest worker program, i want to hurl. I hoe it doesn't come to this but I fear it will take a terrorist attack by someone posing as a mexican immigrant walking across the border for people to wake up and realize that this really is a serious issue.

Return to Top
#488018 - 01/25/06 05:55 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

The administration gets a failing grade in its handling with the illegal immigration problem and border security.

I don't know if I would fail them if you are grading on the curve (there are few in Washington deserving of an "A" or "B"); grading strictly on accomplishment, however, surely does merit an "F".

Return to Top
#488019 - 01/25/06 07:24 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I think someone needs to inform W-F that the tide of opposition towards illegal immigration is swelling, and that their customer base may deteriorate if they continue with this program.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying there is anything wrong with legal immigration, just the illegals.

Return to Top
#488020 - 01/25/06 08:15 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I am with Mark on this. What part of the word illegal do people not understand? There are plenty of legal ways to get into the country. We have got to crack down on the illegal immigration into this country.

Return to Top
#488021 - 01/25/06 08:25 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Anonymous
Unregistered

All I can say folks, is it's very easy to pontificate about this issue from our ivory internet towers.

Can I share something with you from the voice of experience? It may seem like a black white issue to you, until you're actually have to deal with real life people in your community.

Return to Top
#488022 - 01/25/06 08:40 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Yes. This is true. Come to California where illegal immigration is bankrupting our economy. Until you see how wages have been depressed, hospital emergency rooms closed, etc. you can't really see how big the problem is.

Return to Top
#488023 - 01/25/06 09:06 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

All I can say folks, is it's very easy to pontificate about this issue from our ivory internet towers.

Can I share something with you from the voice of experience? It may seem like a black white issue to you, until you're actually have to deal with real life people in your community.

Trust me, where I live the problem of illegals is pervasive, and will almost assuredly negatively affect the entire area economically (landscaping, agricultural, etc.), but that doesn't make it ok to keep allowing illegals to come in. At some point, someone is going to suffer, that is inevitable, but we have to get a better handle on this and we have to bite the bullet and do it sooner rather than later.

Return to Top
#488024 - 01/25/06 09:43 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
One of my friends who overstayed his visitors visa some 4 years ago is now the vice president of a national bank. He is still an Illegal immigrant but who cares?

This country only has immigration laws for those who want to do it legally - they make you wait for 10 years in your home country before you get a resident visa. But if you overstay your visitors visa or walk accross the boarder, then you can be president some day.

Return to Top
#488025 - 01/25/06 09:58 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I care that your friend the VP is here illegally. And yes I've had plenty of first-hand experience with this issue.

Laws are laws for a reason. The exceedingly pervasive attitude of "who cares" is going to be the ultimate downfall of this country.

Return to Top
#488026 - 01/25/06 10:19 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
Don't get me wrong - I aslo care, because I had to wait 10 years to get legal and he just overstayed his visa. Now he is the VP on a six figure income living in a 3500 sq foot home. But I can't put the blame on him - this is what works here. If it was any other country he would have been kicked out - but not here - anything goes in this place, especially here in CA. Yeah man, it's cool man, everyone welcome man...
Last edited by Alien; 01/25/06 10:21 PM.

Return to Top
#488027 - 01/25/06 10:28 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
Right now, the government hasn't really looked at the problem of illegal immigrants. If it becomes a real hot topic, this could change. If I were the VP, I wouldn't get too comfortable. I have seen in the local news in other businesses around here where illegal immigrants removed from work and sent back to their home country.

Return to Top
#488028 - 01/25/06 10:31 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

If it was any other country he would have been kicked out - but not here - anything goes in this place, especially here in CA. Yeah man, it's cool man, everyone welcome man...

And that's the heart of this issue. The United States is already too culturally and politically fragmented to do anything effective to turn the tide. If you've ever read Arthur Schlesinger's book "The Disuniting of America" you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Gripe about it all you want, but as someone has already suggested nothing real is going to happen on this front until a terrorist attack tied to illegal immigration happens. (And then, of course, our polical leaders will overreact and isolate us completely from the rest of the world -- or they will try to finally get serious about bringing about a one-world government. Don't scoff, if they can pull it off in Europe, why not the rest of the world too?)

Does this frighten you? The train has already left the station, my friends.

Return to Top
#488029 - 01/25/06 10:38 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
Quote:

Right now, the government hasn't really looked at the problem of illegal immigrants. If it becomes a real hot topic, this could change.

This is so funny - are you telling me that a Republican or a Democrat led govt will do anything about this? You mean they will actually give up cheap labor and votes in order to follow the laws - This will only become hot topic when [censored] freezes over, or when a nuke goes off in the process of being transported across the border from Mexico, or Canada for that matter.

Return to Top
#488030 - 01/25/06 11:18 PM Re: Bank Offers American Dream To Illegal Immigran
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

our polical leaders will overreact and isolate us completely from the rest of the world -- or they will try to finally get serious about bringing about a one-world government. Don't scoff...

I'm scoffing.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2