Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#48792 - 12/13/02 06:43 PM Family Fraud & Reg E
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our customer is claiming that multiple debit card transactions that have cleared her account in the last 60 days are unauthorized. We have been conducting an investigation and in contacting the merchants have determined that all of these transactions are for memberships to adult websites. Of course, these memberships were initiated from the customers email address. When we asked the customer about this she questioned her teenage son and he admitted to establishing these memberships but says that he canceled them after the free trial. He does not have proof of cancellation. Our financial institution has no chargeback rights because address verification and the CVV value were entered. Visa says that they do not support family fraud but Reg E requires we reimburse our customer for unauthorized charges. Because the son involved and is a minor technically the parent would be responsible for charges he incures...Can we deny the disputes or do we have to give the cardholder credit and then prosecute the son to recover our loss?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#48793 - 12/13/02 06:49 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I would explain the situation to the customer and put it too them just that way. You will go ahead and honor there claims and then turn the information over to the local DA and also sue them to recover your damages. I have dealt with dozens of similar circumstances and not once have they not withdrawn their claim.

Return to Top
#48794 - 12/13/02 07:23 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Ditto. Always back off refund request when they realize family member will still wind up paying and/or face possible jail time.

Return to Top
#48795 - 12/13/02 08:38 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Although I recommend following the same guidance already provided, I have had mom say, "put him in jail if you want, give me my money".

Luckily I haven't had to review claims such as this, was it PINless and/or can you establish that she had provided him access in the past? You may have an out?

ยง205.2 Definitions. Footnote 2. Authority. If a consumer furnishes an access device and grants authority to make transfers to a person (such as a family member or co-worker) who exceeds the authority given, the consumer is fully liable for the transfers unless the consumer has notified the financial institution that transfers by that person are no longer authorized.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#48796 - 12/13/02 08:52 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
Anonymous
Unregistered

We can not establish previous authority nor is it a pin based transaction. Do we have recourse against the underage Son? (provided the mother doesn't rescind the disputes)

Return to Top
#48797 - 12/13/02 08:54 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I don't see why not - he obtained funds through fraudulent means. Just because he's a minor doesn't mean you can't bring an action against him

Return to Top
#48798 - 12/13/02 09:01 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
The fact that he is minor does not impact your fraud claim. The merchant would not be able to collect from him if he purchased non-essential items i.e. food since a minor can void those contracts.

Return to Top
#48799 - 12/13/02 09:51 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
Anonymous
Unregistered

We encourage the people at our institution taking the Reg E claim to casually ask questions in cases like these to see if maybe the unauthorized person has used the card before. When you (or someone else speaks to her) to explain the process, ask how he knew where the card was, if he has ever used it to go to the store for her - drug store- to buy gas, etc, If she says yes to anything, he has been authorized. Just don't let her know why you are asking these questions or you will get that he never used the card before.

Return to Top
#48800 - 12/13/02 10:30 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Yes you can go after a minor. Ironically the parents may be responsible for his actions.

Also, remember that the card belongs to you and it is a privilege to have that. Mom shouldn't have one any more.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#48801 - 12/13/02 10:33 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
I would force the issue as stated in previous replies..We will give you your money, but we get the boy! I have been involved in a similar situation but we found out the excuse, my minor child did it, was used because they thought we would not be able to file claim against a minor.

Return to Top
#48802 - 12/13/02 10:37 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
In reply to:

We will give you your money, but we get the boy!

Sounds like the old west.

1) Personally, I don't want collateral that I have to feed or clean up after.
2) I wouldn't sell my kids for a million dollars, and I wouldn't buy another one for a buck.

Return to Top
#48803 - 12/13/02 11:13 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
I'm wit' ya on that - KOT! Reminds me of another saying..."I really love kids, but I wouldn't want to eat one!"

Return to Top
#48804 - 12/13/02 11:28 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
complyguy Offline
Gold Star
complyguy
PA
Re: you get the money but we get the boy...

Ever read "The Ransom of Red Chief"?

Return to Top
#48805 - 12/16/02 05:56 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Don't believe I have...I spend too much time reading regs, laws, bulletins and THE THREADS!

Return to Top
#48806 - 12/16/02 06:08 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
complyguy Offline
Gold Star
complyguy
PA
In "The Ransom of Red Chief," kidnappers pick a boy who is such a terror that they end up paying the parents money to take the kid back.

Return to Top
#48807 - 12/16/02 06:17 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
Anonymous
Unregistered

If this is an ACH to a DDA account, how long would we have before we could return it as unauthorized?

Return to Top
#48808 - 12/16/02 06:20 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
It's been a long time since I read that one but I believe he was the son of the local bank president!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#48809 - 12/16/02 06:22 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
60 days according to NACHA to return it to the originating institution - however the customer has 60 days from when it appeared on his/her periodic statement. The bank eats the ones that fall in between.

Return to Top
#48810 - 12/16/02 06:28 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
Anonymous
Unregistered

So NACHA states 60 days from the date of the actual transaction?

Return to Top
#48811 - 12/16/02 06:49 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You may ask for confirmation, as I don't have the NACHA book handy, but I believe that's what it says in a nutshell

Return to Top
#48812 - 12/16/02 10:07 PM Re: Family Fraud & Reg E
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
NACHA doesn't allow use of the ACH to return it if it's more than 60 days from the item's settlement date (usually the date it posts to customer account). You can feel free to attempt to collect it directly from the originating bank, however. (Cynics may insert "As if!" here)
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett