Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#489183 - 01/26/06 01:12 PM Income FYI
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
This is not to belittle what soldiers and sailors do, but to look at one part of the spirit and intent of the SCRA. Loan rates are to drop to compensate for the lower wages they are presumed to earn. I just read an article in today's paper were reservists serving in the Middle East were surveyed. In 2002-2003 time frame, 72% earned more while serving than at their civilian jobs. On average they made $850 more per month while serving.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#489184 - 01/26/06 03:32 PM Re: Income FYI
ssgblf Offline
ssgblf
Quote:

In 2002-2003 time frame, 72% earned more while serving than at their civilian jobs. On average they made $850 more per month while serving.

I would have thought this percentage would have been higher. I am in a National Guard unit and about 98% would make higher wages if we get activated than what they do in thier civilian job. I have a frien in the reserves that told me he makes $12,000 a month while he is activated in Washington D.C.

I

Return to Top
#489185 - 02/03/06 03:15 AM Re: Income FYI
Jennifer R Offline
New Poster
Missouri
I read the same article and take issue with their stats. My question regarding the article is who did they survey, junior enlisted,NCOs or officers. Also, what was the age group? This survey also does not take into account reservists that are called to active duty that stay stateside and do not get the same bonus pay that soldiers that deploy to a combat zone get. One also needs to take into account the fact that expenses increase when a soldier deploys. In my case I was stateside, but had to support 2 households, mine where I was stationed and my perm. home. Many soldiers are having to pay for their own gear in Iraq, because the military has fallen behind on providing safe secure body armor.
ssgbif - I would truely like to know what rank and what it is your friend is doing in DC to make 12,000 a month. The only people in the military that make that kind of money are generals.

Return to Top
#489186 - 02/08/06 02:50 AM Re: Income FYI
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#489187 - 02/13/06 05:13 PM Re: Income FYI
ssgblf Offline
ssgblf
The reason he makes that much is because the government pays him $95 per day for travel when he lives two blocks from Walter Reed Hospital, and the government also pays for his maid service but he fired the maid because she did not do a good job. The military also goves him a certain amount each check for groceries, and he does not even spend half of that for all of the groceries he needs. I did not believe him when he told me, but he showed me his LES for one month.

Return to Top
#489188 - 04/12/06 10:15 PM Re: Income FYI
lawmansbabe Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
I know this is an old thread, but...

when my husband was activated (National Guard) he made less...not a lot less, but still less.

and as a previous poster said, our expenses became a lot more.

Return to Top
#489189 - 04/13/06 02:38 PM Re: Income FYI
ssgblf Offline
ssgblf
I did not realize this before, but my friend makes that much money because he is in the medical field. I was looking at some pay scales the other day and some medical professions get extra pay for being activated. Some of the extra money they receive can be as high as $36,000 per year.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z