BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#489546 - 01/26/06 10:50 PM Laughter paves the way for romance
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Since we now have more than a few Bolerettes that can't seem to find dates, I thought that I'd post this as Food For Thought!
_____

Laughter Paves The Way For Romance

Studies suggest humour signals big brain and good partner-potential.

Helen Pearson

23 January 2006

If love is blind, then maybe humour is the attention-grabber.

That's the conclusion of two recent studies that confirm a long-standing stereotype of flirting: that women like joky men, while men like women who laugh at their jokes.

The idea that funny people are attractive may seem obvious. But there have been very few scientific studies to examine whether or not this is true.

Eric Bressler of Westfield State College, Massachusetts, and colleague Sigal Balshine of McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, did this by asking more than 200 male and female college students to examine photos of members of the opposite sex. Some had funny quotes pinned beneath them, such as: "My high school was so rough we had our own coroner." Others had bland ones: "I'd rather walk to school than take the bus."

Women ranked the humorous men as better potential partners, the researchers found - and as more friendly, fun and popular. Men's view of a woman, on the other hand, appeared to be uninfluenced by her wit.

Snip....... Nature.com
_____

The real funny line in this article is "My high school was so rough we had our own coroner." Now that is funny!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#489547 - 01/26/06 11:02 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
lol hahaha x are you attracted yet?

Return to Top
#489548 - 01/26/06 11:10 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

The real funny line in this article is "My high school was so rough we had our own coroner." Now that is funny!

I guess that's what passes for funny in Massachusetts.

Return to Top
#489549 - 01/26/06 11:14 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
Pirate Offline
Diamond Poster
Pirate
Florida
It sounds like something Rodney Dangerfield would say. I thought it was funny.

Return to Top
#489550 - 01/26/06 11:34 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

It sounds like something Rodney Dangerfield would say. I thought it was funny.

Thinking of it as being said by Dangerfield does make it funny.

Return to Top
#489551 - 01/27/06 02:18 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Actually, it's a riff off of a routine by the late Dennis Wolfberg. Wolfberg, known for his pop-eyes and unusual delivery, was formerly a teacher in the New York City public school system. He used those experiences in his comedy, to wit (pun intended):

"We used to assign essays titled 'what I want to be if I grow up'."
"We were the only elementary school with its own coroner."
"Our school newspaper had an obituary section."

Return to Top
#489552 - 01/27/06 02:25 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Thanks for the info! Is his comedy funny enough to search to see if he has a DVD or CD?

Return to Top
#489553 - 01/27/06 02:30 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

lol hahaha x are you attracted yet?

Do you really want him to be?

Return to Top
#489554 - 01/27/06 03:07 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
I guess I need to work on my comedy routine.

Return to Top
#489555 - 01/27/06 05:45 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
It's probably something Emo used. Now, Emo is funny.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing."

"Some mornings, it’s hardly worth gnawing through the leather straps."

"You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older. Little things like being spanked every day by a middle aged woman: stuff you pay good money for in later life."

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. so I ran over and said "stop! don't do it!" "Why shouldn't I?" he said. I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!" He said, "Like what?" I said, "Well...are you religious or atheist?" He said, "Religious." I said, "Me too! Are you christian or buddhist?" He said, "Christian." I said, "Me too! Are you catholic or protestant?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me too! Are you episcopalian or baptist?" He said, "Baptist!" I said, "Wow! Me too! Are you baptist church of god or baptist church of the lord?" He said, "Baptist church of god!" I said, "Me too! Are you original baptist church of god, or are you reformed baptist church of god?" He said, "Reformed baptist church of god!" I said, "Me too! Are you reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1879, or reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915?" He said, "Reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915!" I said, "Die, heretic scum", and pushed him off.

By the way, Men and Women marry each other for fundamentally different reasons. Women marry Men with the expectations that they will change, and they don't. Men marry Women with the expectations that they will stay the same, and they don't..........

Return to Top
#489556 - 01/27/06 05:52 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

Thanks for the info! Is his comedy funny enough to search to see if he has a DVD or CD?

Absolutely. I used to stay up late on Saturday nights to watch a comedy show, hoping that my man Dennis would be on that night. As I recall, he never was smutty in his routines, either.

Return to Top
#489557 - 01/27/06 06:21 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
So when women laugh at me its a good thing???

Return to Top
#489558 - 01/27/06 06:23 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

Ask X, probably happens to him alot.

Return to Top
#489559 - 01/27/06 06:28 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Actually, if the article was totally true, I'd have a harem!

Return to Top
#489560 - 01/27/06 06:32 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
x harem is not = to your sisters cousins and aunties.......

Sorry

Return to Top
#489561 - 01/27/06 07:07 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Hey N - How is it going today? I'm thinking that you are looking good - nice underwear, by the way!

Here's something for all the Mom's:

A woman, renewing her driver's license at the County Clerk's office was asked by the woman recorder to state her occupation.

She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself. "What I mean is," explained the recorder, "do you have a job or are you just a...?"

"Of course I have a job," snapped the woman.

"I'm a Mom."

"We don't list 'Mom' as an occupation, "housewife covers it," said the recorder emphatically.

I forgot all about her story until one day..I found myself in the same situation, this time at our own Town Hall. The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised, efficient and possessed of a high sounding title like, "Official Interrogator" or "Town Registrar."

"What is your occupation?" she probed.

What made me say it? I do not know. The words simply popped out.

"I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations."

The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in midair and looked up as though she had not heard right. I repeated the title slowly emphasizing the most significant words. Then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written in bold, black ink on the official questionnaire.

"Might I ask," said the clerk with new interest, "just what you do in your field?" Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I heard myself reply, "I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't) in the laboratory and in the field, (normally I would have said indoors and out).

I'm working for my Masters, (the whole darned family) and already have four credits (all daughters). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities, (any mother care to disagree?) and I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it). But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are more of a satisfaction rather than just money."

There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she completed the form, stood up and personally ushered me to the door.

As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamorous new career, I was greeted by my lab assistants -- ages 13, 7, and 3. Upstairs I could hear our new experimental model, (a 6 month old baby) in the child development program, testing out a new vocal pattern. I felt I had scored a beat on bureaucracy! And I had gone on the official records as someone more distinguished and indispensable to mankind than "just another Mom."

Motherhood! What a glorious career! Especially when there's a title on the door.

Does this make grandmothers "Senior Research associates in the field of Child Development and Human Relations" and great grandmothers Executive Senior Research Associates"? I think so!!! I also think it makes Aunts "Associate Research Assistants.

Return to Top
#489562 - 01/27/06 07:21 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance *DELETED*
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
Post deleted by ~*nUnZeO*~

Return to Top
#489563 - 01/27/06 07:32 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Well, it's human nature - it's Friday, the weekend in coming - you are feeling happy and you like underwear, so someone like you will want to feel good, also - so nice underwear!!!

Besides, I've seen a lot of underwear after work on Friday in my banking career and it's always the good stuff. In other words, no "It's Friday" printed on the underwear!

So, you see, I know about this stuff.

Return to Top
#489564 - 01/27/06 09:04 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

Well, it's human nature - it's Friday, the weekend in coming - you are feeling happy and you like underwear, so someone like you will want to feel good, also - so nice underwear!!!

Besides, I've seen a lot of underwear after work on Friday in my banking career and it's always the good stuff. In other words, no "It's Friday" printed on the underwear!

So, you see, I know about this stuff.

So X, were those young male tellers wearing boxers or briefs?

Return to Top
#489565 - 01/27/06 09:35 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Quote:

It's okay....we think your funny

Return to Top
#489566 - 01/27/06 10:26 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Depends, are they pointing and laughing?

Return to Top
#489567 - 01/27/06 10:38 PM Re: Laughter paves the way for romance
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Quote:

Quote:

Depends, are they pointing and laughing?

In his case, yes! And, calling friends to come take a look!

Return to Top