Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#491805 - 02/01/06 06:56 PM How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*H
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Could the major category Oscar nominations done any better job of showing how out of touch Hollywood. I love it. Here are some movies that I hear are more in touch with the taste of the masses. I've seen the ones with asterisks and agree that they were all good and for the most part in touch with the tastes of the masses (Broken Flowers may be the exception). Some are better than others. Some are much better.

Downfall
The Ninth Day
Dear Frankie
Millions*
Batman Begins*
Brothers*
Cinderella Man*
Duma
Pride and Prejudice
Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit*
Black
Because of Winn-Dixie*
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe*
Corpse Bride
The Greatest Game Ever Played
Just Like Heaven
King Kong
March of the Penguins*
Robots*
Serenity*
Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith*
Walk the Line
Broken Flowers*
Caché [Hidden]
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
The Great Raid
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Howl’s Moving Castle
Mad Hot Ballroom
Murderball
Nobody Knows
The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio
The Weeping Meadow
The White Diamond
The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
Winter Solstice
Worth Noting
Bride and Prejudice
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory*
Confession
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
Grizzly Man
The Interpreter*
Sky High*
War of the Worlds*
Zathura*

Blech:

Fantastic Four*
Last edited by zaibatsu; 02/02/06 05:58 PM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#491806 - 02/01/06 07:06 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*H
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
"Brokeback Mountain" and a slew of other arty, less-widely seen Oscar-nominated flicks are expected to take the polish off ABC's ratings for the Academy Awards this year.

On Brokeback - My understanding is that the majority of those who have seen this movie in the theater have snuck in through the back door.

Return to Top
#491807 - 02/01/06 07:09 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*H
Pirate Offline
Diamond Poster
Pirate
Florida
LOL! nice one.

Return to Top
#491808 - 02/01/06 08:26 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*H
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
Even though I agree with you Z, I don't see too many movies anymore so I can't speak with authority. I do know that from your list, Cinderella Man definitely makes one of my favorite movies of all time list. Russell Crowe was robbed. I did not see Brokeback Mountain, but I can't fathom Heath Ledger doing a better job than Crowe did in Cinderella Man.

Return to Top
#491809 - 02/01/06 08:31 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I also can't see Heath Ledger's character interesting me.

Return to Top
#491810 - 02/01/06 08:40 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Why do I keep hearing Willie Nelson's voice singing "Mamas, don't let your children grow up to be cowboys?"

Return to Top
#491811 - 02/01/06 08:41 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*H
Jay Bruce Offline
Platinum Poster
Jay Bruce
The New Loft Chamber
The only part of the Academy Awards ceremony that interests me each year is the "tribute" to those in the industry who died during the preceding year. It's a good reminder that, no matter how glamorous a person's life may seem to be, in the end, we all die.

"A man in a kilt is a man and a half!"

Return to Top
#491812 - 02/01/06 08:44 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*H
Rainbow Girl Offline
Gold Star
Midtown
On Brokeback - My understanding is that the majority of those who have seen this movie in the theater have snuck in through the back door.

I paid to see it and entered through the front door. Actually the theater was about half full. I enjoyed the movie.

Return to Top
#491813 - 02/01/06 08:46 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*H
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
I hate to say it, but I find the Golden Globes much more appealing for two reasons - I like the mixture of Tv and Movies, and their categories make more sense, like having a winner for drama and a winner for comedy/musical. The Academy Awards, while prestigious, basically have 5 awards of mass interest. I do like the "host" aspect of the AA, especially when it is Billy Crystal, and I agree, I really like their segment when they recognize those who passed away. I think the Globes should do that. The SAG Awards did but I didn't think it was very good.

And before you think I am award show crazy, I really am not. The Globes is really the only one I like.

Return to Top
#491814 - 02/01/06 08:49 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

Why do I keep hearing Willie Nelson's voice singing "Mamas, don't let your children grow up to be cowboys?"

Or "Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be homos"...

Not that there's anthing wrong with that

Return to Top
#491815 - 02/01/06 08:51 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
All of these award shows are just a bunch of egomaniacs giving each other awards. There's so many of them, you'd have to be pretty pathetic not to get some kind of award.

Return to Top
#491816 - 02/01/06 09:01 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*H
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
Quote:

I paid to see it and entered through the front door. Actually the theater was about half full. I enjoyed the movie.

I also paid to see it - it was a packed house - my friend and I couldn't even find seats next to each other. I did not see a single person leave early. I thought it was a very good movie and deserving of every award nomination it gets. If you're staying away because you're homophobic, well, that's your loss.

Return to Top
#491817 - 02/01/06 09:05 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*H
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
I agree - I haven't seen it because the storyline just doesn't appeal to me - nothing against the fact that they are gay cowboys. Even so, I find that every year it seems like I haven't seen most, if not all of the movies nominated for best picture, which is why I agree with the original post's premise. And I am not a youngster who might only be interested in seeing Porky's 6 - The Revenge of the Bacon. (and no - I am not implying younger people don't appreciate quality movies)

Return to Top
#491818 - 02/01/06 09:08 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

the storyline just doesn't appeal to me - nothing against the fact that they are gay cowboys.

I am not homophobic, but I am also not interested in seeing a movie about gay cowboys.

Return to Top
#491819 - 02/01/06 09:35 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*H
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
it was a packed house

Through the back door?

Return to Top
#491820 - 02/01/06 09:40 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

the storyline just doesn't appeal to me - nothing against the fact that they are gay cowboys.

I am not homophobic, but I am also not interested in seeing a movie about gay cowboys.

Ditto. My mother and I were talking about the movie and she accidentally called it "back-bone mountain". I laughed for about 5 minutes because she said it so innocently. Oh, well.

Return to Top
#491821 - 02/01/06 11:10 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Damn, and to think I have to go to Hollywood this weekend.

Return to Top
#491822 - 02/01/06 11:59 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*H
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Could the Oscar nominations done any better job of showing how out of touch Hollywood is. I love it. Here are some movies that I hear are better than many of the film nominated

Many of the films you list are from earlier years and are not eligible for this year's awards. In fact, some of them won Oscars in past years.

It does not show anything about being "out of touch" if the film wasn't even eligible this year.

Return to Top
#491823 - 02/02/06 03:07 AM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

Could the Oscar nominations done any better job of showing how out of touch Hollywood is. I love it. Here are some movies that I hear are better than many of the film nominated

Many of the films you list are from earlier years and are not eligible for this year's awards. In fact, some of them won Oscars in past years.

It does not show anything about being "out of touch" if the film wasn't even eligible this year.

You really missed the point. The point is that the nominees show that Hollywood is out of touch, not the recommended movies. I believe those movies are from 2005. Show me which ones aren't.

Return to Top
#491824 - 02/02/06 04:34 AM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the movies were from earlier years they can't be out of touch for not nominating them!

Downfall, The Ninth Day, Dear Frankie, Millions, Brothers, Howl's Moving Castle, Nobody Knows, Weeping Meadow, White Diamond, Winter Solstice and Bride and Prejudice were all from 2004. Wild Parrots was from 2003.

Return to Top
#491825 - 02/02/06 04:58 AM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

If the movies were from earlier years they can't be out of touch for not nominating them!

Downfall, The Ninth Day, Dear Frankie, Millions, Brothers, Howl's Moving Castle, Nobody Knows, Weeping Meadow, White Diamond, Winter Solstice and Bride and Prejudice were all from 2004. Wild Parrots was from 2003.

You must be the same person who was sticking by his/her "econimic powerhouse" statement about Cuba. Are you are serious, or are you just trying to pull Z's chain?

Return to Top
#491826 - 02/02/06 01:56 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

You must be the same person who was sticking by his/her "econimic powerhouse" statement about Cuba. Are you are serious, or are you just trying to pull Z's chain?

No, I'm not the same person and I don't know what one thing has to do with the other.

Return to Top
#491827 - 02/02/06 03:06 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
In an unusual moment of agreeing with an anon; the release year for the films in question were:
2004 - Downfall
2004 - The Ninth Day
2004 - Dear Frankie
2004 - Millions*
2004 - Howl’s Moving Castle
2004 - Nobody Knows
2004 - The Weeping Meadow
2004 - The White Diamond
2003 - The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
2004 - Winter Solstice
2004 - Worth Noting
2004 - Bride and Prejudice

On a related point, the Oscars are an industry award voted on by members of the industry (it's not "The People's Choice Awards").

If you want to complain that they didn't pick *your* favorite films, go right ahead, you'll have plenty of company. But it's not the point of the awards, the Academy nominates *its* favorite films.

Return to Top
#491828 - 02/02/06 03:12 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

First, my point was not that Hollywood was out of touch for not nominating these movies. They are out of touch for nominating the movies that they nominated. Those are your words not mine. I am just trying to give the names of some movies that are better entertainment than some of the recently movies that have been lauded by Hollywood and the equally out of touch entertainment critics. I am not saying they nominated bad work. I hear that hard to argue that Ang Lee probably did not do the best job of directing a movie this year, but it is a subject matter Hollywood loves, but is out of touch with the majority of Americans regardless of their opinion of homosexuality.

Secondly. isn't it possible that Hollywood be out of touch for not nominating these 2004 films in 2005, when they were eligible. Didn't think about that, eh?

Thirdly, I am curious: although eligible in 2004, did all of these movies see wide U.S. theatrical release in 2004 or was it in 2005? (This question is not for determining Oscar eligibility, but to determine if they were really available in the U.S. in 2004.)

Thanks for the thought provoking comments.

Return to Top
#491829 - 02/02/06 03:14 PM Re: How do you Spell HOLLYWOOD? O*U*T O*F T*O*U*C*
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

First, my point was not that Hollywood was out of touch for not nominating these movies. They are out of touch for nominating the movies that they nominated. Those are your words not mine. I am just trying to give the names of some movies that are better entertainment than some of the recently movies that have been lauded by Hollywood and the equally out of touch entertainment critics. I am not saying they nominated bad work. I hear that hard to argue that Ang Lee probably did not do the best job of directing a movie this year, but it is a subject matter Hollywood loves, but is out of touch with the majority of Americans regardless of their opinion of homosexuality.

Secondly. isn't it possible that Hollywood be out of touch for not nominating these 2004 films in 2005, when they were eligible. Didn't think about that, eh?

Thirdly, I am curious: although eligible in 2004, did all of these movies see wide U.S. theatrical release in 2004 or was it in 2005? (This question is not for determining Oscar eligibility, but to determine if they were really available in the U.S. in 2004.)

Thanks for the thought provoking comments.

Translation: Hollywood is full of leftists

Return to Top
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6