Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#496058 - 02/09/06 05:01 PM Visas zero liability to business debit cards
cougarfan Offline
New Poster
Is anyone else as unhappy about the change in business liaiblity limits announced by Visa and effective March 1 as we are?
Comments?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#496059 - 02/09/06 05:30 PM Re: Visas zero liability to business debit cards
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I'm sure you're not alone. But sometimes the tail wags the dog.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#496060 - 02/09/06 05:40 PM Re: Visas zero liability to business debit cards
cougarfan Offline
New Poster
We realize that we need to change our agreement but, do we have to re-disclose this change to existing customers?

Return to Top
#496061 - 02/09/06 08:18 PM Re: Visas zero liability to business debit cards
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
It isn't Reg. E since it is a business. Does your contract require notification to them when there is a change (even one that is advantageous to them), or only if it is negative? Your "change" requirements should dictate this, but I wouldn't think you'd need to. It might be a selling point. (One that may cost you...)
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#496062 - 02/09/06 10:07 PM Re: Visas zero liability to business debit cards
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
The better question is...."Is anybody happy about this?" I can feel those losses coming.

Return to Top
#496063 - 02/09/06 10:23 PM Re: Visas zero liability to business debit cards
lisa Offline
Gold Star
Gainesville, TX USA
Our vendor who does our disclosures, just faxed me a copy of this change. BUT, they also changed within the disclosure the "60 day" timeframe for which the customer has to contact us after receiving their periodic statement with an unauthorized transaction to "ONE YEAR." They said it was because of a court ruling in New York (Regatos vs. North Fork Bank). Has anyone else heard of this? I just can't believe it.

Thanks,

Lisa

Th

Return to Top
#496064 - 02/10/06 07:14 PM Re: Visas zero liability to business debit cards
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
It has been a long-standing precedent, I believe, that banks could tweak the one-year deadline for verification of transactions by putting language in their deposit contracts. The New York court appears to have decided to take a left turn away from years of precedent. Their ruling should not be binding on courts in other states, particularly since NY hasn't yet adopted the 1990 amendments to articles 3 and 4. However, state courts do typically acknowledge rulings from other jurisdictions when it comes to the UCC (although they may not adopt them themselves).
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z