BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options Tools
#49708 - 12/19/02 12:33 PM BOL User Guidelines
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
At the risk of being stoned electronically, I'd like to propose the creation of guidelines for using the BOL Fora. By creating such a statement and begging MB to link it to each page, we can eliminate discussions of the type that recently stemmed from Grist's report of a useful resource dealing with CTR Exemptions. This is but the latest of a long stream of debates about responsible use of BOL.

Guidelines should be built on MB's recent warning about unacceptable posts. They should also cover the often-discussed "teach-em-to-fish" philosophy, and outline research techniques that veterans have found to be effective. Rather than declare some types of threads to be unacceptable, we could outline the types that are always welcome and discuss the best ways to present them. These would include a) "heads up" posts announcing a new resource or discovery relevant to the group's interests, b) "help me find it" posts (with the expectation that the poster has begun the research and has hit a dead end), c) "do you agree" posts (here's my conclusion--what have I missed), d) polls or surveys to determine industry practices, e) begging (does anyone have....), and other types to be defined.

It's a shame to burn off energy on housekeeping matters when there are so many important topics to discuss

Return to Top
General Discussion
#49709 - 12/19/02 12:41 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Excellent idea!

Return to Top
#49710 - 12/19/02 02:09 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
We could also use a lesson in netiquette.
Last edited by zaibatsu; 12/19/02 03:54 PM.

Return to Top
#49711 - 12/19/02 02:23 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
I'll throw my vote in for that. Good Idea.

Return to Top
#49712 - 12/19/02 02:34 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
I'm with the netiquette idea! BOL isn't "SIM City"!

Return to Top
#49713 - 12/19/02 02:38 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's a great idea and will help streamline and direct traffic, but,
for those of us (me) who had limited intetrnet access (big brother)I cannot access some connecting sites and threads out there. I get a BIG RED HAND!!! ACCESS DENIED. Which is an internal bank thing.
I appreaciate all the info out there and am a regular reader.

Return to Top
#49714 - 12/19/02 02:41 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
We should also remind some of the newbies to BOL that the "Launch Pad" from the homepage is an incredible source for research! I have save it in my "Favorites" folder and it is a tool that I always go to first (I prefer electronic regs to the ol' paper regs). The links are almost unlimited on so many topics! Give it a try!

Return to Top
#49715 - 12/19/02 02:45 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Richard said:
In reply to:

we can eliminate discussions of the type that recently stemmed from Grist's report of a useful resource dealing with CTR Exemptions.

I'm not going to "stone electronically" Richard, but I have some problems/questions. I'm all for designing some types of helps for new BOL users, the problem is that people don't necessarily read or follow them. Mary Beth wrote the infamous "warning about unacceptable posts" but does everyone read this?

I wonder how many have read the FAQ's. Many people ask questions that could be answered here. I think that the FAQ's were MB's way of designing a guide like you are suggesting. Should this be mandatory reading before you can make a post?

Return to Top
#49716 - 12/19/02 03:06 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Maybe it should be like delivering early disclosures - they have to read and accept prior to being able to continue???

Actually, while it's a great idea, the implementation and enforcement would be a nightmare. I kinda like the freedom to rant occassionally and I try desperately try not to make any of my posts personal attacks in anyway - they are definitely not meant to offend anyone.

I think what it really takes is to just ignore these comments and go on and not let our own egos get too bruised. Some of these threads go on and on and on because people feel they have to defend their actions.

Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and just let it go..........

Return to Top
#49717 - 12/19/02 03:13 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
Without making a stand either way on this issue (yes, I'm being wishy-washy) I must admit that I did get a smile from this thread. Only on a compliance board would you see a proposal for regulations to govern what can and can not be done.

Return to Top
#49718 - 12/19/02 03:29 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
The problem I have with that is there is getting to be sooo much information out there, that it takes forever to wade through it all. By the time I ask a question on the forum, I have already spent a ton of time going through my regs, notes, Orange book, etc. By asking a question on the forum and getting someone who has worked with it recently to answer, I get my problem solved much more quickly.

Return to Top
#49719 - 12/19/02 03:33 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT Offline
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
That's a great idea and I suggest that Post Icons be assigned to each category, possibly getting rid of the Post Icons that virtually have no purpose.

When I posted the noted thread it was new to me and I just didn’t know if others knew about it, so I posted it.

Return to Top
#49720 - 12/19/02 03:40 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I have been on boards where the 'rules of the road' are hardwired to always be the very first topic. That way they are easy to find and access. I don't know how the programming works on that, though.

Return to Top
#49721 - 12/19/02 04:03 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I was adding a long post here because there is a lot to say. But we don't all read the long posts. Here is a condensed version of some thoughts.

1) We can't dictate good taste.
2) What I think is appropriate, you may not.
3) BOL could have pop-ups or other notifications to periodically remind us to stay within certain boundaries, no personal attacks are ever needed, research when you can, etc...
4) Label our postings better so that they can be skimmed and the user can pick and choose what they want to read. They can stay away from the rants, and add to the frivolity if they want.
5) BOL has a personality. It is still developing and we influence it. We are a quasi-family here. Little jokes to each other add a virtual warmth to this "home". We should decide what we want and what we don't so long as it isn't offensive or screaming "fire" in a movie theater (i.e. limited free speech).
6) I think BOL is in the teenage years and we just have to get thru this, but with moderation.
7) We are adults, professional, and we should act like it.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#49722 - 12/19/02 04:06 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
I was going to suggest the very same thing. I don't know if UBB has that functionality, (On ezboard, we call them 'sticky' topics) but it's definitely worth exploring. It is more common than not for a message board to post the ground rules in such a fashion, just to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Return to Top
#49723 - 12/19/02 04:08 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
This post is not addressed to anyone in particular, but to the readers in general:

I don't think we need a bunch of rules. In spite of all the discussion about flaming, inappropriate posts, etc. I have not seen anything deserving of reprimand since Vegan2. Read the Netiquette rules--they are fairly lenient and even allow a brief flame. I actually think that things are going very well without any additional restrictions. If you feel that you or another person have been unfairly flamed, it is amazing how ignoring it and getting on with the topic, seems to douse it. Addressing it only adds gasoline.

I also suggest that we quit bringing up the topic of posters who ask questions without researching first. Just like the question that gets asked over and over again, this topic keeps getting brought up over and over again. If it bothers you to see a question that either has not been researched or has been asked and answered many times, just ignore it. If it doesn't bother you, then answer it.

We need to just face some facts: 1)some folks are going to post questions without first researching; 2) some folks are going to be put out by this; and 3) some folks don't care and are going to answer their questions. I think that is a workable situation that needs no further discussion. If a person decides to run their compliance department by doing all their research on this Banker's Threads, they will learn their lesson soon enough.

Return to Top
#49724 - 12/19/02 04:13 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
cwilliams- I used the term guidelines rather than rules intentionally. Every discussion on this topic always ends with general agreement that we don't want to discourage productive discussion by imposing silly rules. Guidelines on the other hand are a nicer way to pointing newbies toward the "best practices" that have evolved here. It wouldn't hurt to have a "click-wrap" agreement for new posters. Why shouldn't they be required to take a few minutes to learn what it takes to create and protect such a valuable resource? Some of us have been at this since the mid-90s but we rarely lose patience with a newbie who is growing professionally and trying to add to the value we are creating within BOL. REMEMBER: one day a BOL newbie may be your boss!...or, worse yet, YOUR REGULATOR!!!

Return to Top
#49725 - 12/19/02 04:16 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
Anonymous
Unregistered

In reply to:

Only on a compliance board would you see a proposal for regulations to govern what can and can not be done.

We are all getting so caught up in the black and white of this issue. It has been discussed so many times that I wonder why it is an issue. Outside of the critical remarks, we have to remember that this is an open forum for bankers to obtain peer feedback, a quick answer when you're frustrated from looking, assisting new bankers on how to do research, and last but not least to share the knowledge that we have from being experienced with these issues and this site.

I remember when I first found this site I was so happy to have virtual access to people who were doing the same job I was doing. Some of my questions might have seemed "oh here's that same question we discussed three months ago" - but the issue was new to me and if I didn't find it through a search of the topics or if the previous discussion did not quite meet my needs then I would post it again.

I guess what I want to know is what are we trying to prevent here? Personal attacks/inappropriate comments or to ask people to quit posting subjects that may seem old hat to us but new to someone else? Mary Beth has done an excellent job trying to steer this board to keep a professional tone to it while allowing us the freedom to ask questions freely and discuss these issues as we see fit. I personally I feel that we are thouroughly regulated in our professional lives, I would hate to see the format of this site changed. Okay, thats all I have to say.

This is MackenzieS (I got booted away from my PC so they could work on it)

Return to Top
#49726 - 12/19/02 04:17 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
In reply to:

I have not seen anything deserving of reprimand since Vegan2.

I agree, I went back to check what he/she was all about and I was apalled and amazed at the same time. The nerve of that person. There are a lot of different, wonderful people on BOL and they all add great things to the posts. Even the "devils advocate" posts do serve their purpose. Netiquette is a must, but also respect. I feel that everyone respects everyone here. If BOL had a huge get together, it would be a GRAND ol' time!

Return to Top
#49727 - 12/19/02 04:18 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Yes, I think it would be a Crown-ing achievement!

Return to Top
#49728 - 12/19/02 04:23 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I believe an occasional "flame up", if preceded by a "rant warning", takes away any insult or hurt feelings. If I read something that says "rant attack", I know the person is just blowing off some steam and not directing the comments at anyone. And many times I agree with the rant. Maybe if they rant here, they will be less likely to rail at a co-worker in person.

And I agree with Andy, we are adults (and professionals)and should act as such.

(Except, of course, when making angels in the snow! Then you can let 'er rip!)

Return to Top
#49729 - 12/19/02 04:37 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
Michelle M Offline
Gold Star
Michelle M
The old saying "Can't we all just get along?" comes to mind.

First, I think Mary Beth does a great job monitoring the threads and I think we should just let her do her job. (Not that richard doesn't have a point, just that's what Mary Beth is here for)

Second, Holy COW I'm glad I missed that thread about CTR Guidelines. Hey Anons - a little respect please.

Third, I think Andy said this, but we are all adults here. Before posting something just think... hmmmm would I want my boss to hear me say that?

Finally, hey I know I'm a newbie. That's why I'm here, sometimes I post dumb questions and sometime maybe I should preface my posts with, I've read... and look here.... but can someone tell me / help me..... I try to add to the discussions not detract from the value of BOL.

oh as for the unused icons:

Return to Top
#49730 - 12/19/02 04:55 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
There was a thread a while back about "Encyclopedia or Comic Book" which expressed:

In reply to:

As a banking reference source, everyone agrees BOL is the best resource of information and assistance around. No one argues about that, its even Free.

The decorum and professionalism displayed by some members has garnered the respect and admiration of a grateful membership. Be it questions or assistance with a regulation, policy, practice, or procedure, the collective wisdom of the board address every query. Indeed BOL is a live reference source of unequaled measure.

BOL is a source that has no set structure and minimal requirements to participate. Its the general membership that sets the tone and professional standard of this resource. Therein lies the rub.

In this persons opinion a trend is developing that is turning BOL into a Chat Room instead of a Professional Reference source. My analogy is that of an Encyclopedia vs a Comic Book."

Yes, I know to some fun and frivolity are important and the words "Fun" and "Frivolity" do appear in most reference sources. However within most reference sources, little space is needed to define, or display their significance, and they are but minuscule to the grandness of the assembled knowledge.

I think we all want SOME Fun and Frivolity and SOME Chat. The question as I see it, is how do you keep it from becoming a Chat Room dominated by a few, and maintain it as the grand reference source it is with out some sort of "Guidelines" as Richard suggested.

Return to Top
#49731 - 12/19/02 05:18 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Contentious posters (particularly those who are anonymous) are like discourteous drivers, ignorance of the rules is not the problem.

I really don't want Mary Beth relegated to sand box supervisor, so maybe a little peer pressure will work. From now on, if I see a post I think is intentionally impolite, I'll give it one of these , but no comment. I don't think it will draw blood and there is certainly nothing to respond to.

However, the person whose post is followed by a few 's might get the idea that the community does not approve and the party who was attacked may be able to forgo responding in self defense.

Return to Top
#49732 - 12/19/02 05:23 PM Re: BOL User Guidelines
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
!!!

Great idea Ken! I like it!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4