Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#499304 - 02/15/06 04:02 PM Right of Recission re: Refinance/Construction Loan
CEJ Offline
New Poster
Is a right of recission necessary for the following:

Refinance with new lender on current owner-occupied home to be demolished and replaced with new construction. This is a construction loan to perm. Will also be owner-occupied at completion. Loan is secured by this property.

Any insight is appreciated.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#499305 - 02/15/06 06:23 PM Re: Right of Recission re: Refinance/Construction Loan
Marty McKay Offline
I would say it qualifies as a Residential Mortgage Transaction and would be exempt from the ROR.
You have to look carefully at 226.2(a)(24).

Return to Top
#499306 - 02/16/06 03:31 AM Re: Right of Recission re: Refinance/Construction Loan
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Be sure to read the commentary to this definition as well. It is one of the most well worn pages in my Regulatory manuals.

Now to your question. This is a tough one. You indicate the borrowers are giving a security interest in their current principal dwelling to build a new one. That sounds a lot like a bridge loan - which is subject to the RofR [see the Commentary to section 226.23(a)(1) #4].

However, if their current home is going to be demolished, where are they going to live during this time? Possibly you can avoid the whole RofR issue if they live somewhere else.

Return to Top
#499307 - 02/16/06 03:10 PM Re: Right of Recission re: Refinance/Construction Loan
biz Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Where are they living the day the close the loan?

Return to Top
#499308 - 02/16/06 04:14 PM Re: Right of Recission re: Refinance/Construction Loan
MET Offline
New Poster
I'm following up for Cathy J.
The underwriting did not address the issue, let's say they are still living in the house to be demolished on the day the loan closes.

Return to Top
#499309 - 02/16/06 11:57 PM Re: Right of Recission re: Refinance/Construction Loan
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

I'm following up for Cathy J.
The underwriting did not address the issue, let's say they are still living in the house to be demolished on the day the loan closes.

Then I believe RofR clearly applies. They are giving a security interest in their current principal dwelling. See the citation I gave in my earlier post.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z