Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#500735 - 02/17/06 09:46 PM Reg Z vs. HUD's Reg X
Marty McKay Offline
Are consumer pupose loans made to other than a natrual person exempt from Reg Z but still potentially subject to HUD's Reg X?

Exempt from Reg Z :
226.3(a)(1): "An extension of credit primarily for a business, commercial or agricultural purpose."
- and -
226.3(a)(2): "An extension of credit to other than a natural person."

Exempt from Reg X :
3500.5(b)(2): "An extension of credit primarily for a business, commercial, or agricultural purpose, as defined by Regulation Z, 12 CFR 226.3(a)(1). Persons may rely on Regulation Z in determining whether the exemption applies."

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#500736 - 02/17/06 10:18 PM Re: Reg Z vs. HUD's Reg X
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Quote:

Are consumer pupose loans made to other than a natural person

Isn't that, by Reg Z's definition, a business purpose loan rather than consumer purpose?

Once you've established under Z that it's a business purpose then it's also business purpose under X. I don't think it would be possible to have a loan that flip-flopped from consumer purpose to business purpose within the same transaction - that would be a nightmare.

Return to Top
#500737 - 02/17/06 10:39 PM Re: Reg Z vs. HUD's Reg X
Marty McKay Offline
I would agree except that Reg X specifically cites Reg Z section 3(a)(1) (purpose oriented) and doesn't cite section 3(a)(2) (borrower oriented). That's the part that concerns me.

Return to Top
#500738 - 02/17/06 11:00 PM Re: Reg Z vs. HUD's Reg X
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Back to Z - I'm thinking that 226.3(a)(1) and the OSC are more geared to helping us determine if a loan to a human is for a business purpose since 226.3(a)(2) is pretty clear regarding exempting loans to "non-humans".

That's all I have for now - hopefully one of the big kahunas will clear this up for us.

Return to Top
#500739 - 02/17/06 11:40 PM Re: Reg Z vs. HUD's Reg X
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
If your loan is to a partnership, corporation, LLC, etc., then the purpose will be considered business under 226.3(a)(1). Why? Because any transction conducted by a business entity is for a business purpose.

Where that is not so clear is when the loan is to a family trust with no individual co-borrowers. In that case, you may be escaping Reg Z under 226.3(a)(2), but you're going to get caught up in RESPA.

Return to Top
#500740 - 02/17/06 11:56 PM Re: Reg Z vs. HUD's Reg X
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Quote:

In that case, you may be escaping Reg Z under 226.3(a)(2), but you're going to get caught up in RESPA.

Which part of RESPA?

Return to Top
#500741 - 02/17/06 11:57 PM Re: Reg Z vs. HUD's Reg X
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Bonnie, I'm sorry but I have to disagree. That section does not say, or indicate IMO, that a loan to a non-natural person such as partnerships, corporations, LLCs, etc. are automatically considered business loans. That sections simply says that loans made to non-natural persons are not cover by Reg. Z.

If I own a LLC and I borrow money through the LLC to pay for my grandson's college, that is a consumer purpose loan, however it is exempt from Reg. Z.

RESPA exempts business purpose loans, and they define a person at 2602 (5) as follows:

the term "person" includes individuals, corporations, associations, partnerships, and trusts;

A loan exempt from Reg. Z is not necessarily exempt from RESPA. In both cases the loan's purpose drives the coverage IMO.

Return to Top
#500742 - 02/18/06 12:09 AM Re: Reg Z vs. HUD's Reg X
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Quote:

A loan exempt from Reg. Z is not necessarily exempt from RESPA. In both cases the loan's purpose drives the coverage IMO.

I'm being dense. What would be an example of a loan that is exempt from Z as a business purpose loan but wouldn't be exempt under X?

Return to Top
#500743 - 02/18/06 12:17 AM Re: Reg Z vs. HUD's Reg X
Marty McKay Offline
Cowboy Fan -
If I am understanding this correctly it would be Dan's example of an LLC borrowing for a consumer purpose.
Another example would a family trust (not a human) borrowering to put in a pool.
The fact that the borrower is not a human makes it exempt from Reg Z.
In order for it to be exempt from RESPA, it would have to also be for a business purpose.
Last edited by Marty McKay; 02/18/06 12:20 AM.
Return to Top
#500744 - 02/18/06 12:27 AM Re: Reg Z vs. HUD's Reg X
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Call me stuck on stupid (no, really, go ahead ), I'm still not getting how a loan to a non-human could ever be a consumer purpose loan. Good thing I'm not in compliance

Return to Top
#500745 - 02/18/06 08:20 PM Re: Reg Z vs. HUD's Reg X
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

Bonnie, I'm sorry but I have to disagree. That section does not say, or indicate IMO, that a loan to a non-natural person such as partnerships, corporations, LLCs, etc. are automatically considered business loans. That sections simply says that loans made to non-natural persons are not cover by Reg. Z.

If I own a LLC and I borrow money through the LLC to pay for my grandson's college, that is a consumer purpose loan, however it is exempt from Reg. Z.

RESPA exempts business purpose loans, and they define a person at 2602 (5) as follows:

the term "person" includes individuals, corporations, associations, partnerships, and trusts;

And this is where you can spin those angels dancing on the head of a pin clear into the stratosphere.

If the loan is to, let's say, an LLC which is a business entity, and the loan is to pay for the college tuition of an individual, that in and of itself does not necessarily make the loan a consumer purpose. The LLC itself is not going to college, and there is supposed to be some benefit to the LLC before paying for something that benefits another party.

It could be that the individual will perform service for the LLC as the consideration for the LLC's payment of tuition. That service to the LLC benefits the LLC's business.

It is THAT BENEFIT to the LLC which is inherently business purpose, therefore you can make the case that the loan, since it is to a business entity, has a business purpose regardless of the eventual use of the proceeds.

With Family Trusts, you cannot make that argument since a Family Trust is not a business entity. Quite frankly, Family Trusts exist in a murky area of Regulation Z which seems to go begging for some clearer regulatory guidence. I think we all know what will probably happen if the regulators really sit down and tackle the subject of Family Trusts as either consumer or non-consumer borrowers. This is one reason why a lot of lenders simply make the Reg Z disclosures to them anyways.

Return to Top
#500746 - 02/18/06 08:34 PM Re: Reg Z vs. HUD's Reg X
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Quote:

I think we all know what will probably happen if the regulators really sit down and tackle the subject of Family Trusts as either consumer or non-consumer borrowers.

Actually, I doubt that they would ever consider changing this. The reason being is that if the consumers are smart and sophisticated enough to figure out how to operate a family trust, getting consumer pricing information on a loan for comparison purposes becomes rather moot at that point.

Return to Top
#500747 - 02/19/06 02:36 AM Re: Reg Z vs. HUD's Reg X
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

Actually, I doubt that they would ever consider changing this. The reason being is that if the consumers are smart and sophisticated enough to figure out how to operate a family trust, getting consumer pricing information on a loan for comparison purposes becomes rather moot at that point.

One can only hope so, although it's not really all that difficult to set up a family trust. There are "kits" with all the paperwork available for about $600 that will set up a basic family trust.

Return to Top
#500748 - 02/20/06 05:43 PM Re: Reg Z vs. HUD's Reg X
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If I borrower through my LLC to pay for my grandson's enducation - where's the business purpose?

If a trust borrower's money to put in a swimming pool - where's the busines purpose?

Return to Top
#500749 - 02/20/06 09:37 PM Re: Reg Z vs. HUD's Reg X
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
To follow up on Dan's comment, some people establish "family LLC's" for estate planning purposes. There's no business purpose to the LLC. A loan to the LLC is exempt from Reg. Z not because it's a business purpose loan under 226.3(a)(1), but because it's "organizational credit" under 226.3(a)(2).

However, assuming that there is a consumer purpose to the loan, it would be covered by Reg. X because Reg. X exempts business purpose loans, but not "organizational credit."

Return to Top
#500750 - 02/20/06 10:45 PM Re: Reg Z vs. HUD's Reg X
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

If I borrower through my LLC to pay for my grandson's enducation - where's the business purpose?

As I pointed out above, if the LLC is a business, there SHOULD be some consideration for the LLC to pay for the education, and it is that consideration that is business purpose. "Family" LLC's is another murky area, but so far it's not a rampant practice in home loans.

Quote:

If a trust borrower's money to put in a swimming pool - where's the busines purpose?

And I stated that a Family Trust does not have a business purpose, so you would be subject to RESPA. This is why most of the major mortgage lenders simply give all disclosures, Reg Z and RESPA when the borrower is a Family Trust. It just keeps the training and monitoring a lot simpler.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z