Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#50084 - 12/20/02 04:14 PM Complaint
Anonymous
Unregistered

Banks are required to included all written comments received from the public and the response to those comments in the CRA Public File. Could someone please ellaborate on the types of comments? Is it talking about complaints that we receive such as Sam was upset because he did not receive an AAN within 30 days so he reported it to the OCC. The OCC notifies the bank and we respond. How do I determine what to place in this file?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#50085 - 12/20/02 04:20 PM Re: Complaint
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
No, it is not the ones about a service or minor gripe such as that. It addresses credit needs. Claims of discrimination, poor lending practices, and such would be there.

§228.43 Content and availability of public file.
(1) All written comments received from the public for the current year and each of the prior two calendar years that specifically relate to the bank’s performance in helping to meet community credit needs, and any response to the comments by the bank, if neither the comments nor the responses contain statements that reflect adversely on the good name or reputation of any persons other than the bank or publication of which would violate specific provisions of law;
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#50086 - 12/28/02 09:56 PM Re: Complaint
Ross A Offline
New Poster
Ross A
Doesn't it cause a privacy violation if I put "Sam's letter" in the CRA file and other people can see that Sam is a customer?

Return to Top
#50087 - 12/28/02 11:15 PM Re: Complaint
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
It depends on what Sam says in his/her comments, but there need not be any inference that he/she is a customer. Anyone can add comments to your public file, customer or not.

Letters that attack employees, by name, need not be added, however. You may be able to block out some of the text or just not include it altogether. Save the original for regulatory review though.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#50088 - 12/30/02 03:32 AM Re: Complaint
Anonymous
Unregistered

In reference to

No, it is not the ones about a service or minor gripe such as that.

Sould there be a seperate file for those or can they be destroyed?

Return to Top
#50089 - 12/30/02 03:42 AM Re: Complaint
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
There is no retention requirement that I am aware of. I would retain it in a central file if it went through your regulator, the BBB or some similar entity. I would also consider keeping it for some period to determine if you see a trend.

The time frames are up to you with the caveat that those through my regulator, I would hold exam to exam. They have a list of complaints filed through them and may ask about the disposition.

Return to Top
#50090 - 12/30/02 04:45 PM Re: Complaint
SJB Offline
Diamond Poster
SJB
California
During a recent exam the OTS suggested that I add a heading for "Complaints" to my quarterly Audit Committee report. I maintain a file and track resolution of general customer complaints.

Return to Top
#50091 - 12/30/02 06:47 PM Re: Complaint
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Absolutely. Nancy Derr Castiglione wrote an article some years back on reporting to the audit committee/board. That article changed my reports.

Complaints are certainly added into it, some very specifically and some may be reported as a group if there is a common issue.

This is a bit off of the retention topic, but reporting these can be very important as it could be a first step in litigation and is certainly a measure of customer satisfaction.

A difficult part of this is what is reported? Written complaints are pretty easy. But those originating by telephone, through a CSR or call center are more difficult. Without creating a very cumbersome process (depending on your infrastructure) we catch the written and the telephonic/in-person complaints that rise to a certain level and demand managements time. Otherwise they seem to be resolved and would be discussed in manager's meetings.

Return to Top
#50092 - 02/18/03 07:23 PM Re: Complaint
Some Days You Just Can't Win Offline
Gold Star
Some Days You Just Can't Win
Mississippi River Valley
I am searching for a regulation(s) that requires us to have a Customer Feedback or Complaint policy. I understand the requirements under CRA §228.43 Content and Availability of public file, but is there any other regulation that requires such a policy?

Thanks for your input......

Return to Top
#50093 - 02/18/03 07:34 PM Re: Complaint
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Quote:

I am searching for a regulation(s) that requires us to have a Customer Feedback or Complaint policy. I understand the requirements under CRA §228.43 Content and Availability of public file, but is there any other regulation that requires such a policy?

Sarbanes-Oxley includes some language requiring this kind of policy, although I don't think it's going to cover everything, mostly just accounting type issues.

Return to Top
#50094 - 02/18/03 08:23 PM Re: Complaint
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
Regulation AA -- Unfair and Deceptive Practices has a section dealing with consumer-complaint procedures (Subpart A)

Return to Top
#50095 - 02/18/03 08:35 PM Re: Complaint
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
But even Reg AA does not specifically require an institution to maintain a file. It governs what the Fed will do when it receives a complaint from a consumer.

Return to Top
#50096 - 02/18/03 09:57 PM Re: Complaint
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

Thanks for your input......

There are snippets that require you to respond within certain time-lines and to do certain things, such as in FCRA and RESPA, but there isn't a definitive requirement that you have a policy. Like many other policies and procedures you have, it is just a good thing to do.

Return to Top
#50097 - 02/19/03 01:23 PM Re: Complaint
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I grew up on a farm and the rule I was given in FFA was, "You have 100 rats for every one rat that you see." Apply the same concept to complaint logs.

A couple weeks ago I heard a speaker who was formerly employed by a bank with nationally publicized "financial privacy" problems say that, in retrospect, they should have known their customers objected to their practices. There had been complaints regarding their procedures, but they were not overwhelming in number and no one paid any attention to them.

If one or two people complain about something, you can attribute it to indigestion or just having a bad day. However, there is some point where a conscientious review of a complaint log can tell you something you need to know.

Return to Top
#50098 - 02/19/03 05:35 PM Re: Complaint
Some Days You Just Can't Win Offline
Gold Star
Some Days You Just Can't Win
Mississippi River Valley
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Return to Top