Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#503861 - 02/23/06 07:24 PM Credit Score Disclosure
In Need of Help 101 Offline
Platinum Poster
If you have a husband and wife applying for a loan that is for a consumer purpose and is secured by a 1-4 residential property, can we give one credit score disclosure that includes both the husband and wife credit score information, or do you give one disclosure to each applicant?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#503862 - 02/23/06 08:56 PM Re: Credit Score Disclosure
Anonymous
Unregistered

According to Jack Holzknecht in his "How to Audit for Compliance with the FACT Act" seminar, "The FCRA requires a financial institution to disclose all of the credit scores that were used in these transactions. For example, if two joint applicants apply for a mortgage loan to purchase a single-family-residence and the lender uses both credit scores, then both need to be disclosed. The statue specifically does not require more than one disclosure per loan; therefore, if multiple scores are used, all of them can be inclusded in one disclosure containing the Notice to the Home Loan Applicant.

I hope this helps.

Return to Top
#503863 - 02/23/06 08:56 PM Re: Credit Score Disclosure
sue's mom Offline
Gold Star
sue's mom
IL
We prepare a disclosure for each applicant. They all go in the same packet to the customer.

Return to Top
#503864 - 02/23/06 09:42 PM Re: Credit Score Disclosure
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
We also give a separate disclosure to each applicant.

Return to Top
#503865 - 02/24/06 03:26 AM Re: Credit Score Disclosure
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
This has been discussed a couple of times before. A search would give you the chance to read a bunch of others' input on this subject.

fwiw, we print the disclosure that is generated by our tri-merge cbr and send that to our borrowers.

Return to Top
#503866 - 02/24/06 03:33 AM Re: Credit Score Disclosure
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

This has been discussed a couple of times before. A search would give you the chance to read a bunch of others' input on this subject.

fwiw, we print the disclosure that is generated by our tri-merge cbr and send that to our borrowers.

Ditto, and ours is only one notice with all credit scores disclosed.

Return to Top
#503867 - 07/11/06 03:35 AM Re: Credit Score Disclosure
Jan94 Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
I was going back through our procedures and thought our banks did this the same way, but found that they do not. The banks are credit scoring and for joint applicants, they use the best credit score in the decisioning process. That is the applicant who gets the notice. In the example above it states that "the lender uses both credit scores" and in our situation they do not, they just use the best score. I'm a little concerned as it would appear that the banks are still using both scores to make a determination of which is the "best" and a notice probably needs to be provided to both applicants. Would appreciate some other thoughts? Haven't had a regulator state that we were doing this wrong (yet) . Thanks.

Return to Top
#503868 - 07/11/06 12:44 PM Re: Credit Score Disclosure
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If you pull 3 credit scores and your policy is to use the middle score. How do you determine what is the middle score if you do not use all three scores?

I agree with you, the scores are being used and should be disclosed.

Return to Top
#503869 - 07/11/06 08:09 PM Re: Credit Score Disclosure
JohnDoe Offline
100 Club
Another point in agreement with Dan is permissable use.
If you didnt use the score why did you pull it?
Hope that helps as well.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z