Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#506591 - 03/01/06 04:26 PM Cashing a tax refund check
jjames Offline
We have a customer that came in with a tax refund check that was made to another individual and it was endorsed by the individual. The customer who was trying to cash the check also endorsed under the check holder's signature. We didn't cash it because the check was not made payable to him. The customer went down the street and another bank cashed it. So, now he is upset. The only way that we ever cash a third party check is if the individual to which the check is made payable to is physically with the account holder. Were we wrong to not cash the check?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#506592 - 03/01/06 05:18 PM Re: Cashing a tax refund check
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:

The only way that we ever cash a third party check is if the individual to which the check is made payable to is physically with the account holder.

Your bank probably invested some money in developing that policy; i.e. you lost money by doing something else. You were very definitely not wrong in establishing or enforcing your policy.

Return to Top
#506593 - 03/01/06 05:45 PM Re: Cashing a tax refund check
Kari Offline
100 Club
Kari
PA
Our policy is - We do not cash tax refund checks endorsed by third parties, the liability is too great.

Return to Top
#506594 - 03/01/06 05:49 PM Re: Cashing a tax refund check
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

Our policy is - We do not cash tax refund checks endorsed by third parties, the liability is too great.

This is more common, in my experience, than the other way around. And the liability lurks out there for a long time. Tax refund checks are separated because of this.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett