BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#507077 - 03/02/06 04:27 PM Zoloft
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
My wife's gynocologist put her on Zoloft yesterday for her feelings of stress as she's currently out of work and has not had too much success finding a new job. Additionally, she's started seeing a therapist to help her. What can we expect in the coming weeks with the Zoloft?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#507078 - 03/02/06 04:34 PM Re: Zoloft
Anonymous
Unregistered

Who's Zoloft?

Return to Top
#507079 - 03/02/06 04:37 PM Re: Zoloft
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
I was put on high doses of Zoloft after my father died. It basically turned me into an emotionless zombie. I couldn't get happy or sad. I always just had a blank look on my face. But that was just me. I know other people who have had great success with the drug.

Return to Top
#507080 - 03/02/06 04:47 PM Re: Zoloft
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Your sexual life will be deeply impacted.

Return to Top
#507081 - 03/02/06 05:23 PM Re: Zoloft
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
Quote:

Who's Zoloft?

Zoloft is an anti-depression medication. Supposedly, it's the best selling product of this type in the market.

Return to Top
#507082 - 03/02/06 05:57 PM Re: Zoloft
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Steven,

The dosage is the key to its effectiveness. A friend of mine was on Zoloft for a period of time while undergoing therapy for panic attacks. It worked well for him, but they took some time to get the dose 'tuned'.

Sorry to hear of your wife's troubles. I think it's really great that she sought out help, that's an excellent sign in and of itself.

Best Wishes.

Return to Top
#507083 - 03/02/06 06:17 PM Re: Zoloft
Zamboni Driver Offline
Platinum Poster
Zamboni Driver
Going round and round
Steven

A good friend of mine was also on it for awhile. It took a few months to get the dosage corrected, but it helped tremendously once they got it right.

His only complaint was that he put on weight (15 lbs in 6 months) while taking it. I guess that is a common side effect according to people who have used Zoloft, but is not mentioned in the company's info.

Here is a link to the Mayo Clinics page on drugs. It's very helpful reference material -> Zoloft - Mayo Clinic

Good luck.

Return to Top
#507084 - 03/02/06 06:17 PM Re: Zoloft
Anonymous
Unregistered

Steven:

Tell your wife it may take a couple of weeks to get used to it. Furthermore; not all medications are effective for everyone. There are a ton of anti-depressants out there and it is all about finding what works best for you. For me, I tried a ton of them and found Effexor to be the "wonder drug" Good luck!

Return to Top
#507085 - 03/02/06 07:09 PM Re: Zoloft
Anonymous
Unregistered

My mom is in her early 50's, and she was put on Zoloft to help her anxiety 2 years ago when she was diagnosed with cancer. She took it throughout all her treatments for almost a year. She had great success with it. It didn't make her emotionless, there was no weight gain, and she didn't experience any negative side effects...not even sexual side effects, which can be common with this type of medication. After her treatments, she stopped taking it. She started taking it again 2 months ago when her mother unexpectedly passed away. Again, she is not feeling any negative side effects. And it's helping her deal with her anxiety.

Just telling you this so you know that even though the side effects get a lot of attention (whether they are common or not), there are times when side effects pose no problems. Good luck.

Return to Top
#507086 - 03/03/06 05:01 PM Re: Zoloft
Spivol Offline
Power Poster
Spivol
Tulsa, Ok
I am on Lexapro and Klonapin(SP?) because I have high anxiety and pretty bad OCD. I can tell how they both affect me too. After I started taking them it took about 3 weeks to a month to fully kick in but I am much better with them than without. I go crazy if I run out for a few days without refilling them. I can tell a dramatic difference. So can my wife.

Return to Top
#507087 - 03/03/06 06:01 PM Re: Zoloft
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
Who Was That Masked Man?
By Robert R. Thomas

Hurricane Bertha left me in a bad mood. I had managed to maintain my sour disposition for several days in spite of the attempts of almost everybody to cheer me up. I had leaks in my ceiling at the gallery, the floors were flooded, the showcases dirty, there was no air conditioning or electricity, and I had over one hundred artists calling me to see if their work had been damaged. On top of all that, I had to drive over to Jacksonville in the pouring rain and choking heat, and the air conditioner in my truck had quit working.
I was not happy.
As I motored along North Carolina's Highway 24 to Jacksonville, my faithful truck was trying to tell me something . . something important like . . . YOU FORGOT TO BUY GAS! For the first time in my life I had run out of gas. I'd always smirked at the friends and family who'd done this, as if to say, "How could you be so stupid? There's a gauge on the dashboard to tell you that your tank is empty, and all you have to do is read it."
I was right: There was a gauge, and it said EMPTY.
I was not happy.
I coasted to the side of the road, saying several things about my own mental abilities . . . several things about Hurricane Bertha . . . and vowing to sit there until the darn truck rotted and fell apart.
As I contemplated the possibility of getting a job with the French Foreign Legion, I heard a motorcycle pull up beside me: a big, throaty, rumbling, growling Harley-Davidson. I opened my door and was face to face with a throwback to the 1960s. Snakes were painted all over his face shield and helmet and tattooed all over his body. He wore the traditional Harley-Davidson garb: denim jacket, jeans and biker boots. Chains hung from every available hook or loop. His hair was so long that he had it doubled up and tied to keep it out of his wheels. The Harley was straight out of Easy Rider - extended front fork; suicide rack on the back; black, purple and green paint job, and the gas tank painted to look like a skull with glowing green eyes.
"S'wrong?" he said. His shield and helmet completely masked his face
"I'm out of gas," I whispered.
"B'right back." And he rode off. About fifteen minutes later he returned with a can of gas.
When I offered to pay him he said, "Wait till ya get to the station."
I started my truck and drove the two or three miles to the station as he followed along (in the pouring rain). Again I offered to pay him. He said, "Pay the guy inside. Everything okay now?" I said yes. He said, "See ya!" And off he rode down Highway 24 toward Jacksonville, hair undone and flying in the wind, Harley roaring and throwing up spray from the pavement.
After pumping twenty-four dollars worth of gas, I went into the station and gave the attendant thirty dollars. He said, "It's only four dollars. The other guy paid twenty and said to tell you to 'pass it on, Brother.'"
I will always remember the kindness of the snakes-and-chains stranger on the Harley with the glowing green eyes, and I will never again judge anyone by their looks (a promise I had often made to myself). And I will always wonder, "Who was that masked man?"
As for the twenty dollars . . . I passed it on.

Return to Top