Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#508127 - 03/06/06 01:50 AM Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
I'm referring, of course, to their craven, despicable act of giving a mainstream award to a, gasp, foreign film, "Wallace & Gromit and the Curse of the Were-Rabbit."

How dare they!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#508128 - 03/06/06 02:12 AM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
“Howl’s Moving Castle” (Buena Vista)
Hayao Miyazaki- Let's see...A movie from Japan...

“Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride” (Warner Bros.)
Mike Johnson and Tim Burton- Havn't seen it...Don't really have any need too anytime soon...

“Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit” (DreamWorks Animation SKG)
Nick Park and Steve Box- A very good movie that anybody, no matter what age, can watch and enjoy...

It is the only movie that really deserved to win. Case closed...

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#508129 - 03/06/06 02:31 AM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
I like Wallace & Gromit. Saw the movie and have caught some of the shorts on Sundance Channel -- appeals to my juvenile side (not that there's anything but a juvenile side to me )

Return to Top
#508130 - 03/06/06 05:25 AM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hollywood decides to play it straight! Crash a surprise winner....even Jack Nicolson was shocked!

Return to Top
#508131 - 03/06/06 02:05 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Hollywood decides to play it straight! Crash a surprise winner....even Jack Nicolson was shocked!

Yes, it really makes that "Hollywood is out of touch" thread look ridiculous doesn't it?

Return to Top
#508132 - 03/06/06 02:17 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought Jon Stewart was excellent! but then again, I've been watching TDS since Killborn was on.

Return to Top
#508133 - 03/06/06 02:20 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Didn't you love the 'attack ad' on sound editing?

Return to Top
#508134 - 03/06/06 02:25 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I was really amused by the attack ads on the leading female roles...

Return to Top
#508135 - 03/06/06 02:30 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
"Dame Judy put my eye out in a bar fight!"

Return to Top
#508136 - 03/06/06 03:21 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Rainbow Girl Offline
Gold Star
Midtown
Has anyone seen Capote? What did you think?

Return to Top
#508137 - 03/06/06 04:24 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
I don't even know what it is about.

Return to Top
#508138 - 03/06/06 04:59 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I was glad Wallace and Grommet won. I am an animation purist, I prefer the older methods of making animated films like clamation, stop action, or good old fashioned drawing. When it is done in that manner, it is truly an art form.

The computer generated animations are very entertaining, but when a computer is used instead of manual artistry, I feel it is no longer an art form, just entertainment.

Return to Top
#508139 - 03/06/06 05:43 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can believe how many people are so bored with their lives, that they would even watch this garbage. A bunch of millionaire actors getting an award. who cares. get off your lazy butt and go exercise or do something meaningful.

Return to Top
#508140 - 03/06/06 05:44 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Pirate Offline
Diamond Poster
Pirate
Florida
Word.

Return to Top
#508141 - 03/06/06 05:45 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Speaking of millionaire actors. I absolutely loved the comment last night about how poor the actors in the room were.... They couldn't afford dresses to cover their cleavage!

Return to Top
#508142 - 03/06/06 06:04 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Speaking of millionaire actors. I absolutely loved the comment last night about how poor the actors in the room were.... They couldn't afford dresses to cover their cleavage!

We have a running joke in our house that the Food Network must not pay very well since Giada DeLaurentis' clothes all seem too small for her...

Return to Top
#508143 - 03/06/06 06:59 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

We have a running joke in our house that the Food Network must not pay very well since Giada DeLaurentis' clothes all seem too small for her...

They don't look too small to me....

Return to Top
#508144 - 03/06/06 07:50 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

who cares. get off your lazy butt and go exercise or do something meaningful.

Hey Mr. Crabbypants, you mean do something that's meaningful in your eyes, right? Give me an idea of something I can do instead of watching the Oscars that *you* personally do which would meet your defintion of "meaningful."

Return to Top
#508145 - 03/06/06 07:51 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They don't look too small to me....

Perhaps we need to take a closer look. I'd hate to make a mistake on such a critical issue.

Return to Top
#508146 - 03/06/06 09:04 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, it really makes that "Hollywood is out of touch" thread look ridiculous doesn't it?

Not really.

Question: How many of these movies were among the top grossing movies of 2005?

Answer: None

So, the awards were out of touch with America's movie going tastes, but were the subject matters of the movies that won the top 6 awards out of touch? I'd have to say yes, just a little.

Crash - Best Picture - I liked this movie. It was a bit heavy handed. Some audiences laughed at its heavy handedness after a while, but the message is one that America understands and for the most part applies to their lives. However, I am not so sure that Hollywood understands that. Their movies (not this one) tend to be: South = Racism. North/West/East = Tolerance.

Capote - Best Actor - Truman Capote's lifestyle was way, way out of touch with 99.99% of Americans.

Syriana - Best Supporting Actor - I did not see this movie, but I think it may be out of touch like Constant Gardener (see my comments there). Clooney's speech was a hilarious! Clooney is so out of touch. Wasn't he born and raised in insular Tinseltown? His portrayal of Hollywood's being out-of-touch with America as a good thing by referencing an award given to a black actress playing a maid nearly 70 years ago was laughable. He seems to forget that Hollywood did not lead the civil rights marches. Hollywood also was on the front line of making cocaine the drug of choice. I think the negatives out of Hollywood outweigh the positives Mr. Clooney.

Constant Gardener - Best Supporting Actress - Corporate America bad, bad, bad. Corporate America kills for money.

Brokeback Mountain - Best Director - I think we've beaten this dead horse. I still don't know any gay cowboys.

Walk the Line - Best Actress - I don't think anyone ever said this movie was out of touch with America; however, I don't think most of America is drug addicted. So, in that sense maybe it is out of touch. But to the extent is it about the music, it is right on track.

Return to Top
#508147 - 03/06/06 09:16 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Syriana - Best Supporting Actor - I did not see this movie, but I think it may be out of touch like Constant Gardener (see my comments there). Clooney's speech was a hilarious! Clooney is so out of touch. Wasn't he born and raised in insular Tinseltown? ...

Tinsletown, Kentucky? No, Augusta, Kentucky. Whether Augusta is insular or not, I have no particular insight.

Return to Top
#508148 - 03/06/06 09:29 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I bet Rachel Weisz's "twins" are not real - any takers?

Return to Top
#508149 - 03/06/06 09:30 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
No, they are very real, and she is seven months pregnant right now, so that helps her "twins" as well...

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#508150 - 03/06/06 09:38 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are you her gyno?

I bet Selam Hayek's "twins" are not real..

Return to Top
#508151 - 03/06/06 09:39 PM Re: Oscar Spits in the Face of the Real America!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Syriana - Best Supporting Actor - I did not see this movie, but I think it may be out of touch like Constant Gardener (see my comments there). Clooney's speech was a hilarious! Clooney is so out of touch. Wasn't he born and raised in insular Tinseltown? ...

Tinsletown, Kentucky? No, Augusta, Kentucky. Whether Augusta is insular or not, I have no particular insight.

My bad. Some are born into out-of-touchness and others (Clooney) have it thrust upon them.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5