Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#509308 - 03/07/06 03:16 PM RESPA - is this temp. financing?
Tortuga Offline
Nebraska
We have an in-house loan to purchase a home, 12 month term with 30 year amortization. Interest and principal payments are due monthly. The customer is hoping to refinance in a year and have the loan sold to the secondary market. Is this temporary financing? Does RESPA apply? Thank you.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#509309 - 03/07/06 03:22 PM Re: RESPA - is this temp. financing?
kw@fnb Offline
100 Club
Beatrice, NE
Temporary financing is < 2 years

Return to Top
#509310 - 03/07/06 03:32 PM Re: RESPA - is this temp. financing?
Tortuga Offline
Nebraska
Does the temporary financing exemption apply to Home Purchases? I know that it specifically addresses construction loans. Also, is the only definition of temporary financing (per RESPA) that the term is less than two years?

Thank you.

Return to Top
#509311 - 03/07/06 03:36 PM Re: RESPA - is this temp. financing?
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

Temporary financing is < 2 years

I don't necessarily agree. "Temporary financing" is a term used in both RESPA (HUD Reg X) and HMDA (FRB Reg C). In neither place is the term defined, but rather examples are given such as construction lending and bridge loans. RESPA does say that a construction loan (other than to a bona fide builder) with a term of 2 years or more does not qualify for the construction loan exemption. But that doesn't mean that any loan with a term of less than 2 years does qualify. In fact, at least for HMDA, the FFIEC just recently clarified that loans with even shorter terms such as "Splash and Dash" loans would not be considered temporary financing.

However, given that your loan is for a term of one year, is for purchasing the property and the expected source of repayment of the loan is a refinance to a more permanent loan prior to that maturity, I would say that it does qualify as temporary financing under both RESPA and HMDA.

Return to Top
#509312 - 03/07/06 03:44 PM Re: RESPA - is this temp. financing?
Tortuga Offline
Nebraska
Thank you!

Return to Top
#509313 - 03/07/06 04:30 PM Re: RESPA - is this temp. financing?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
And I'm a bit on the other side of the fence from MB because it is amortized with P&I payments until and IF such other arrangements happen...I would not call it temp financing.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#509314 - 03/07/06 05:34 PM Re: RESPA - is this temp. financing?
Tortuga Offline
Nebraska
Food for thought. Thanks everyone.

Return to Top
#509315 - 03/07/06 06:18 PM Re: RESPA - is this temp. financing?
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

And I'm a bit on the other side of the fence from MB because it is amortized with P&I payments until and IF such other arrangements happen...I would not call it temp financing.

Regardless of the amortization, at the end of the one year something else will have to be done. They can't just keep on making those payments. Some type of refinancing will be required. That's what makes this temporary financing. The 30-year amortization is just so that they are making some type of monthly commitment to the loan and to keep the payments affordable.

I'm just the opposite - if it was fully amortizing in the one year period, that to me would exclude it from being temporary financing. At the end of the one year period, no permanent financing would be necessary - the loan would be paid in full.

Return to Top
#509316 - 03/07/06 06:57 PM Re: RESPA - is this temp. financing?
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
To play devil's advocate.....are you then saying a 1, 3 or 5 year balloon mortgage note would be temporary financing? I would venture a guess that at least 95% of these loans rollover into other financing.

PS. It sounds to me the original poster has a 1 year balloon note.
Last edited by Dan Persfull; 03/07/06 07:00 PM.

Return to Top
#509317 - 03/07/06 07:16 PM Re: RESPA - is this temp. financing?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
That's the reasoning behind my post, Dan. Thanks for putting it a little different way. Generally, anytime we are dealing in repayment other than ordinary income, we look at whether or not temp financing applies. But if we have an amortizing loan with a balloon at maturity, we do not allow temp financing exemptions.

Really, nothing about our temporary financing definition has changed other than the "splash and dash" change. That would be the one exception to our general rule!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#509318 - 03/08/06 04:33 PM Re: RESPA - is this temp. financing?
Tortuga Offline
Nebraska
Thanks everyone.

Return to Top
#509319 - 03/08/06 08:52 PM Re: RESPA - is this temp. financing?
Tillie Offline
Gold Star
Tillie
1. RESPA refers to "swing" loans as being exempt from RESPA. Can someone explain that term to me?
2. Would a 3-year loan for a downpayment to purchase a home be exempt from RESPA? It is set up with monthly payments but the borrower hopes to pay it off early with the sale of their existing home. The existing home was used as collateral.
Hope you don't mind me asking two questions!

Return to Top
#509320 - 03/09/06 03:38 AM Re: RESPA - is this temp. financing?
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
1. Swing = bridge loan. A loan that is temporary to cover the time that it takes to sale the borrower's current dwelling.

2. If the loan is set up on a 3 year term, you cannot consider it temporary. RESPA has a 2 year maximum. However, even if this was a 2 year loan, the monthly payments makes me think that it still isn't temporary. If you loan was set up as a single payment with supporting comments indicating the loan would be repaid from the sale of the existing home, I would then call this a bridge (or swing) loan and consider it temporary.

Return to Top
#509321 - 03/09/06 02:03 PM Re: RESPA - is this temp. financing?
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
FWIW I agree with David.

I've always look at it this way. If you have set the term of the loan to have principal and interest payments, then you have set up a repayment schedule for that loan and it is not temporary. Basically what you are doing is setting up a balloon mortgage, in your case a 3 year balloon. To the best of knowledge balloon mortgages do not qualify for the temporary financing exemption.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z