Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#51034 - 12/28/02 05:02 AM Internet/e-mail policy
rachel Offline
New Poster
Pennsylvania
Does anyone have an Internet/e-mail policy they would be willing to share? I need something outlining acceptable Internet & e-mail use within the bank.

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#51035 - 12/28/02 06:59 PM Re: Internet/e-mail policy
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT Offline
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
Go HERE to review an article by Andy Z relating to developing an internet email policy.

Return to Top
#51036 - 12/28/02 09:13 PM Re: Internet/e-mail policy
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Since I'll soon be disconnecting that site which is referenced in Grist's post, you'll also find it here and for a longer time period.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#51037 - 12/30/02 03:21 PM Re: Internet/e-mail policy
Mike T Offline
New Poster
I wanted to get your input. I have recently been told that our bank will not be promoting a policy for e-mail per se, but only for communications in a larger sense. In other words, our policy for other communications (such as telephone usage, public statements, etc.) would suffice.

Having said that, why would there be a need for a separate e-mail policy? Or, is it just part of a larger internet usage policy?

Thanks
MTT

Return to Top
#51038 - 12/30/02 03:59 PM Re: Internet/e-mail policy
Ross A Offline
New Poster
Ross A
Do the examiners require one?

Return to Top
#51039 - 12/30/02 04:13 PM Re: Internet/e-mail policy
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
You really must have an internal email policy to prevent misuse and to cover the bases if there is misuse. In addition, the regulators (last time they visited) required the placement of a disclaimer relating to email on our web site, e.g. basically: it's not a secure method of communication, don't include specific account information, etc.

We are also not promoting the use of email by customers.

Return to Top
#51040 - 12/30/02 04:35 PM Re: Internet/e-mail policy
Mike T Offline
New Poster
Do you have an online banking offering? If so, your statement that you are "not promoting the use of e-mail by customers" pertains to this portal as well?

We try to educate customers not to put sensitive data in e-mail for the obvious reasons, but we do communicate via e-mail with our online customers.

Return to Top
#51041 - 12/30/02 04:59 PM Re: Internet/e-mail policy
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
Yes, we offer online banking and, yes, we post our email address all over our site, including the primary internet banking page. After thinking about it, a guess we do promote the use of email, simply by posting our email address. The important issue is the posting of the email disclaimer (security/privacy issue). The disclaimer should be a pop up page that is linked from an "EMAIL SECURIY" button on various pages throughout your site.

With that said, the use of email by customers is a dangerous activity due to the fact that you cannot control what they note within email messages, so you had better clearly post a security disclaimer.

Return to Top
#51042 - 12/30/02 05:08 PM Re: Internet/e-mail policy
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
We use our email disclaimer to promote the online banking. Our online banking system includes a secure message function, so we encourage our customers to use that forum for communication sensitive information.

Return to Top
#51043 - 12/30/02 05:08 PM Re: Internet/e-mail policy
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
edit to remove duplicate post

Return to Top
#51044 - 12/30/02 07:19 PM Re: Internet/e-mail policy
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
There is a need for a policy that at least includes e-mail, though it need not be exclusive to e-mail.

If I e-mail you that I lost my ATM card, that I feel I was discriminated against on my home loan application or that I recently reviewed your HMDA and CRA files and felt you were doing a poor job of mortgage lending in the community, those issues need to be addressed.

You may include e-mail as a method of communication in your other policies addressing these issues and that is fine.

Just don't ignore it, especially if you promote e-mail as a method of contacting customers and customers contacting you.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z