Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#51171 - 12/30/02 09:14 PM dormant accounts
Anonymous
Unregistered

After a recent external IT exam, one of the examiners suggested that we change the time that must elapse with no activity before a SAVINGS account become dormant from 3 years to 2 years. Does anybody know what the industry standard is?

Return to Top
Audit
#51172 - 12/30/02 10:13 PM Re: dormant accounts
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
It's regulated by state law, usually. I always thought the 'industry standard' was one year - at least it's been that way in the two states I've worked in!

Return to Top
#51173 - 12/30/02 10:19 PM Re: dormant accounts
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
State laws define dormant accounts for escheat purposes. Don't confuse "inactive" that are internally classified as "dormant", as they are too very distinct conditions. You can have an "inactive" account on the books for years and never have the state defined clock start ticking. Normally, I have seen accounts classified as "inactive" after a 6 month to 1 year period.

Return to Top
#51174 - 12/31/02 03:55 AM Re: dormant accounts
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
And the terminology is not necessarily standard either. Texas, as an example uses the term "inactive" instead of "dormant" in the State code.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z