Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#5136 - 10/01/01 09:11 PM Training
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just interested in knowing what areas most of you train on for compliance and with what frequency? Do you share these responsibilities with others or does it all rest on your shoulders? Thanks a bunch.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#5137 - 10/01/01 09:33 PM Re: Training
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
We have about 1,100 employees in 72 branches up to 600 miles from my office. We have a Training Dept. now that handles the lions share of this.

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#5138 - 10/02/01 12:59 PM Re: Training
cwiza Offline
cwiza
Lakeland, FL USA
We have about 200 employees. Initial training for deposit staff is performed by the training director. Training for BSA and other deposit regulations is performed regularly for deposit staff by the branch operations manager. I (compliance officer) perform annual in-house training sessions for mortgage lending staff on such issues as HMDA, fair lending, privacy, and compliance disclosures. This year we implemented Internet-based compliance training (through BVS) in order to supplement the training for all staff and due to the limited resources.

Return to Top
#5139 - 10/02/01 01:46 PM Re: Training
SouthernComfort Offline
Platinum Poster
Southern Illinois, USA
We only have about 50 employees. In addition to annual training on BSA, Security, etc. I also train on compliance issues using video tapes. Each Monday I also do a "Tip of the Week" that reinterates the training they have had during the year. This seems to work pretty good. It seems if you give them information in small doses, they retain it longer.

Return to Top
#5140 - 10/02/01 03:27 PM Re: Training
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
Does anyone else feel they've reached general training overload in their banks? Even though I've moved most of the "classroom" type large-group compliance training to the internet, it's still a challenge especially for Retail front-line staff to get in all the different types of training they need. Throw-in special sales training, and everything else from United Way meetings to needed software and systems training, and we're about to bust. Plus on the compliance side this year we've had special training on privacy, information security, and just lately insurance disclosures. Any words of wisdom or hope? [GIOMC, now I feel better!]

Return to Top
#5141 - 10/02/01 05:39 PM Re: Training
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ken, would you elaborate a little on the part when you say you've moved it to the internet. How do you handle that? Thanks for the info.

Return to Top
#5142 - 10/02/01 07:26 PM Re: Training
Tina A Sweet Offline
Diamond Poster
Tina A Sweet
Marysville, Ca.
We have a training department that covers the deposit side of the compliance issues. I, the Compliance Officer along with the Senior Lender cover the Lending side for training. However, all documentation of training is stored centrally in my office. I have a spread sheet of all employees of this bank (about 70). If you would like to have a copy I would be glad to share. Just let me know.

Tina
mailto:tsweet@goldcountrynb.com

Return to Top
#5143 - 10/02/01 07:38 PM Re: Training
Atilla Offline
New Poster
Atilla
MO
I support BSA, deposit and privacy training for 11 banks in three states as compliance officer for the holding company. I try to design training packages which can be used onsite by the training officer (or appropriate supervisor). I provide class packages and a leader's guide for each topic. For example, for "Understanding Funds Availability Rules" I outline the rules and provide 5 scenarios for training purposes. The bank compliance officer can select the training examples which most closely address their training needs.

I also try to provide tools, such as Reg CC notice forms, for use in problem areas. Since we just couldn't seem to get hold notice time frames correctly, I designed forms prefilled with hold time frames and an "other" line (which requires supervisory approval or you lose a limb).

One of the other tools we use is a quarterly compliance memo which includes spot training tools. These are short quizzes designed to be sent out to our frontline (and sometimes back office) employees to keep them on their toes and identify weaknesses and potential training needs. People love to see their name sent out to everyone as the first one with the right answer!

I hope to move to some type of CBT or internet based training before I retire in 20 years.

Return to Top
#5144 - 10/02/01 07:50 PM Re: Training
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
I am Compliance and Security and "overload "is an understatement. We have 4 branches with a total of about 106 employees. I have to train on all compliance and security issues. In fact, I am the TRAINING DEPT. I am expected to coordinate all of the training for loan officers, secretaries, tellers, whatever. It was HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that I when I do Compliance and Security training, I present the training in a "classroom" environment. This is extremely difficult. Especially, since I am not exactly a public speaker. I have tried to assign responsibility to other areas for training, however, it just doesn't get done.

I am exhausted....With CRA, BSA, HMDA, PRIVACY, ALL THE REGS, .......I don't have a minutes peace.....I have resigned from my position as Security Officer and I was told that my resignation was not accepted.....

What's a girl to do!

Return to Top
#5145 - 10/02/01 07:58 PM Re: Training
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
Abel: Like Cwiza, our internet compliance training is through BVS Performance Services. We've used it for 3 years and we like the product.

[This message has been edited by Ken Holmes (edited 10-02-2001).]

Return to Top
#5146 - 10/02/01 08:46 PM Re: Training
Atilla Offline
New Poster
Atilla
MO
Ken, Does BVS allow you to customize any of the training modules?

Return to Top
#5147 - 10/02/01 10:12 PM Re: Training
Kahola Offline
Platinum Poster
Kahola
Scottsdale, AZ. 85255
We are a small bank (about 50 employees). Each department/branch has a training calendar, which compliance developed. Each manager is responsible for requesting training info from the compliance dept. each month. Records of training are maintained by compliance.
We use Bankers Training for videos and tutorials. All regualtions are covered that pertain to each department.

If you would like a sample of the training calendar contact me at pfield@firstarizona.com

Return to Top
#5148 - 10/03/01 12:35 PM Re: Training
cwiza Offline
cwiza
Lakeland, FL USA
BVS does allow a bank to customize a training course, which is one of the beneficial features we liked. They have recently installed some new features also where I believe you can include policies and procedures in the program and customize tests. You can obtain more information at www.bvsinc.com or call them at 1-800-553-5972.

Return to Top