Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#515298 - 03/15/06 11:48 PM ABA's "Teach Children to Save Day."
Geoz Offline
100 Club
Colorado
For anyone whose bank has participated in this program, did your examiners give your bank CRA credit automatically or were you required to document that it qualified as community development(primarily benefitting LMI students or a school in a LMI geography)? I wondered if this is considered in the same vein as the FDIC's Money Smart Program, which in my understanding, is automatic CRA credit?

Return to Top
CRA
#515299 - 03/16/06 03:16 PM Re: ABA's "Teach Children to Save Day."
Bullseye Offline
Platinum Poster
Bullseye
At our exam, we only received credit for activities at those schools who primarily had LMI students.

Return to Top
#515300 - 03/16/06 03:25 PM Re: ABA's "Teach Children to Save Day."
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
We also only received credit for activities at those schools who were primarily LMI.

We were told that if we taught Money Smart there we could get credit. Well, unless they are going to re-write Money Smart I don't think that is going to work as we mostly go into the elementary schools!

Return to Top
#515301 - 03/16/06 06:24 PM Re: ABA's "Teach Children to Save Day."
Geoz Offline
100 Club
Colorado
Thanks for your comments.

Return to Top
#515302 - 03/16/06 10:58 PM Re: ABA's "Teach Children to Save Day."
AEA Offline
By the way, participation in the FDIC's program is not "automatic" credit. Examiners will ask that you demonstrate that the beneficiaries are low- or moderate-income individuals.

Also on a side issue, it's not "credit" you receive for participation in these activities, but it's "CRA consideration" that you receive. There is no numeric or dollar value placed on CD services. If you look at the recently issued guidance from the FBAs, they all refer to it as "CRA consideration" because not everything that a bank does relates to CRA.

Return to Top
#515303 - 03/16/06 11:26 PM Re: ABA's "Teach Children to Save Day."
Geoz Offline
100 Club
Colorado
You're absolutely right - I should have been more careful in my statement, I was using the term "credit" loosely fully understanding that all community development activities must pass the community development test. And while nothing qualifies automatically, some CD activities (properly documented)tend to be more "slam dunk" than other activities. Right or wrong, our CRA examiner did comment that the Money Smart program would qualify. It wasn't pursued at the time and I probably shouldn't have referenced it here. I just mentioned it as a comparision to the ABA's education program.

Return to Top
#515304 - 03/17/06 01:54 PM Re: ABA's "Teach Children to Save Day."
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
Actually, our examiner is quite strict and she told us that we would get credit/consideration for teaching Money Smart to ANY group, not just LMIs.

Return to Top
#515305 - 03/17/06 08:30 PM Re: ABA's "Teach Children to Save Day."
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Quote:

Actually, our examiner is quite strict and she told us that we would get credit/consideration for teaching Money Smart to ANY group, not just LMIs.

Are you and FDIC bank? I can't believe if you taught Money Smart to a group of middle income participants that you would get credit for it. Atleast I can't see my examiner giving me credit for it.

As far as Teach Children to Save Day, I am careful to pick schools that are in LMI areas and have a more than 50% particpation in the Free/reduced lunch program.

Return to Top
#515306 - 03/17/06 09:00 PM Re: ABA's "Teach Children to Save Day."
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
Yes, I am an FDIC bank and no it still does not make sense.

One of my problems is that I only have 7 schools with over 50% participation in free/reduced lunch programs and oddly enough they are all in upper or middle income census tracts.

Return to Top
#515307 - 03/17/06 09:06 PM Re: ABA's "Teach Children to Save Day."
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Rie, I don't think it matters what tract they are in as long as you can show the kids qualify.

I tried using the arguement once (in jest) that all teaching to kids should qualify because the were all unemployed and poor. Besides, we were helping shape their future so they would know how to manage money when they grew up. Needless to say, it didn't fly with the examiners.
Someday the middle class will be broke because we never reached out to them.

Return to Top
#515308 - 03/20/06 02:22 PM Re: ABA's "Teach Children to Save Day."
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
Funny, we tried the same argument in our last exam. It didn't fly then either.

Return to Top
#515309 - 03/20/06 07:03 PM Re: ABA's "Teach Children to Save Day."
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
We really need to educate these examiners.

Return to Top
#515310 - 03/30/06 04:49 PM Re: ABA's "Teach Children to Save Day."
samsara Offline
100 Club
New York
We just finished the FDIC CRA exam. They asked how many employees had participated in teaching the children, but did not ask anything about the census tract or income demographics of the schools. They indicated we would receive consideration for this program and they intended to include it in the written report.

Return to Top
#515311 - 03/30/06 05:11 PM Re: ABA's "Teach Children to Save Day."
Geoz Offline
100 Club
Colorado
That's great. Glad it worked out for you. I see enough difference between examiners we'll play it safe and be sure to include those schools we know have student populations exceeding 50% LMI.

Question - what kind of time commitment did this require for your employees?

Return to Top