Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#51735 - 01/02/03 07:16 PM Filing Certificate of Deposits
nroser Offline
New Poster
We manually file CD's alphabetically and also numerically. When a CD matures, we pull the CD and then re-file it in a seperate file, both alphabetically and numerically. We are looking at ways to make our operation more efficient. Is there any reason why we couldn't just file the CD's numerically?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#51736 - 01/02/03 07:26 PM Re: Filing Certificate of Deposits
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
I could be wrong so don't quote me on this, but I don't think there are laws telling you how to file things only laws to tell you what to file (record retention).

I really think it is a matter of what works for you...but don't quote me on that!

Return to Top
#51737 - 01/02/03 07:57 PM Re: Filing Certificate of Deposits
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
I agree with Kara that there doesn't seem to be any regulatory issues here. But, if filed only numerically,what if the customer doesn't remember the CD number, how would you find the CD?

Return to Top
#51738 - 01/02/03 08:00 PM Re: Filing Certificate of Deposits
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
This sounds like "the way we've always done it". While that may have been efficient some years ago, your volumes may have outgrown this.

Whatever works is best, as Kara said. Keep in mind that some banks don't even issue paper CDs any more. Everything is done on the system. You may opt to file them one way, and just be able to research it online in many ways.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#51739 - 01/02/03 08:02 PM Re: Filing Certificate of Deposits
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
If you have a core operating system which enables you to access customer files by name and account number, you should find conversion to a numerical CD document filing system fairly painless. After all, you probably don't maintain a dual checking account file, do you?

Conversions of any kind aren't fun though. Good luck!

Return to Top
#51740 - 01/02/03 08:09 PM Re: Filing Certificate of Deposits
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
Terrible thing to admit, but yes we do have dual checking account filing. Bookkeeping keeps the cards numerically and customer service/tellers keep them alpha (I'm at a small bank so both areas are in the same "house"). Oh, and we do have computers too

Return to Top
#51741 - 01/02/03 10:31 PM Re: Filing Certificate of Deposits
Harvey Offline
100 Club
Harvey
Ellen, we are also a smaller size bank and keep our cards filed alpha as part of our business resumption plan. No power, means reverting back to the olden days of looking up the customer's account number without a computer at hand.

Return to Top
#51742 - 01/03/03 03:30 PM Re: Filing Certificate of Deposits
complyguy Offline
Gold Star
complyguy
PA
Sounds like my shop. Since you have computers, maybe you can tell me where to get replacement vacuum tubes?
(For those of you too young to understand, ENIAC - the first computer - and other first-generation computers used vacuum tubes. It took a whole roomful of computer to do what a $3 calculator does now.)

Return to Top
#51743 - 01/03/03 04:40 PM Re: Filing Certificate of Deposits OFF Topic
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Some of these young pups don't know where the phrase "dial a telephone number" comes from since you push the numbers. They'll never see Dialing for Dollars on the afternoon TV. I don't know if that was everywhere or not, but I remember it.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#51744 - 01/03/03 05:06 PM Re: Filing Certificate of Deposits OFF Topic
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
In reply to:

....but I remember it.

Unfortunately, I do too!

Return to Top
#51745 - 01/03/03 05:28 PM Re: Filing Certificate of Deposits OFF Topic
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Me too and I remember the old rotary phones very well. I also remember my grandparents party line.

Return to Top
#51746 - 01/03/03 06:35 PM Re: Filing Certificate of Deposits OFF Topic
Michelle M Offline
Gold Star
Michelle M
I've never see "dialing for dollar", but it might make you feel better to know not only do I remember rotary phones (which were rented from the phone co not purchased), but my bestfriend still has a wooden phone with a cloth covered cord.

Return to Top
#51747 - 01/03/03 07:33 PM Re: Filing Certificate of Deposits OFF Topic
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
A couple of years ago, a friend (& BOL user)came to visit NYC and stayed at the Pennsylvania Hotel. I, when calling 411 for the phone number I jokingly (I thought) asked to no one in particular, I guess it should be Pennsylvania 6-5000, and amost fell of my chair when it actually was everyone just kinda looked at me and blinked

Return to Top