Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#52239 - 01/06/03 01:40 AM Advertising for Home Equity
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is "Get a tax break on next years taxes" a trigger term? I have received a draft for a Home Equity Line of Credit ad that has this phase and then states to apply online.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#52240 - 01/06/03 02:25 AM Re: Advertising for Home Equity
Andy_Z Online
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
In Texas we don't have HELOCs but the criteria below are triggering terms for open end credit and you are no where close to these.

§226.16 Advertising.
(b) Advertisement of terms that require additional disclosures. If any of the terms required to be disclosed under §226.6 is set forth in an advertisement, the advertisement shall also clearly and conspicuously set forth the following: 36d

(1) Any minimum, fixed, transaction, activity or similar charge that could be imposed.

(2) Any periodic rate that may be applied expressed as an annual percentage rate as determined under §226.14(b). If the plan provides for a variable periodic rate, that fact shall be disclosed.

(3) Any membership or participation fee that could be imposed.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#52241 - 01/06/03 12:00 PM Re: Advertising for Home Equity
JMB Offline
JMB
Michigan
If you reference tax deductibility, you should add a phrase recommending that they consult their tax advisor. Reg Z Commentary 226.16 (d) (4) 3. states: An advertisement referring to deductibility for tax purposes is not misleading if it includes a statement such as "consult a tax advisor regarding the deductibility of interest."

Return to Top
#52242 - 01/06/03 04:14 PM Re: Advertising for Home Equity
Jack Holzknecht Offline

Gold Star
Louisville, KY
Reg Z has special triggering terms for HELOCs (12CFR226.16(d)(1). Disclosing tax implications does not trigger any disclosures beyond what is cited in JMB's post.

Return to Top
#52243 - 01/06/03 04:17 PM Re: Advertising for Home Equity
Lucy Griffin Offline

Diamond Poster
Lucy Griffin
It is worth reminding your marketing staff that promoting the tax deductability of interest on HELOCs was one of the contributing catalysts to passage of these special HELOC rules. The wording described in the first post bothers me for that reason, even though it technically doesn't trigger. It definitely pushes the envelope. When banks do that, more regulation follows.

Return to Top