Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#529194 - 04/08/06 02:08 AM Feline Leukemia
-A- Offline
Gold Star
-A-
the good ole south
I have a 3 year old cat that I had to take to the vet because of fluid buildup in his abdomen. It turns out, he tested positve for feline leukemia. I am aware that it is a terminal disease. Although at the moment, he is not sickly acting, at least not yet. He just has a swollen tummy full of fluid and has to be careful how he moves. The vet gave me some pills to administer to him twice a day to help keep the fluid down, but that is just a symptomatic treatment at the moment...Has anyone had a cat that suffered from feline leukemia, and how long should I expect my cat to live with this?? I know if he gets really bad, I will have to have him euthanized (sp?). But while he is still bright eyed and somewhat active, I am going to ride it out as far as I can, until he gets very sickly.

Return to Top
#529195 - 04/08/06 12:40 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
annie 732 Offline
annie 732
PA
so sorry to hear that.... I wish your cat the best.
What is your little friend's name?

Return to Top
#529196 - 04/08/06 01:59 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
lawmansbabe Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
My Mom had a beautiful black cat named Sunny that died from feline leukemia. After his diagnosis, he lived several good years. He did have regular medication, and towards the end, more medication was given. As you say, it mainly just treats the symptons.

Keep in good touch with the vet...

So sorry you got this news...what is your cat's name?

Return to Top
#529197 - 04/08/06 02:31 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
You furry buddy can live several good years with this disease, but please be careful of his contact with other cats. They should be vaccinated to protect them from catching this highly contagious disease from your cat. I never had my boys vaccinated for feline leukemia, but they both tested negative for it and they don't go out or have contact with other felines.

Return to Top
#529198 - 04/08/06 03:49 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Ditto Nanwa's comment about keeping him away from others.

I'll go out on a limb here regarding
Quote:

But while he is still bright eyed and somewhat active, I am going to ride it out as far as I can, until he gets very sickly.

Luckily, we don't have to watch our animals deteriorate so far as to be unbearably miserable. I know it's very hard to fathom but I do hope you won't wait until your companion is 'very sickly' to do the right thing. The additional time spent watching him is too painful for both of you. Enjoy him while he's still healthy and his disease is manageable and keep in touch with the vet so you'll be able to make an educated decision when the time comes without making him suffer unneccesarily.

Return to Top
#529199 - 04/08/06 06:51 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
-A- Offline
Gold Star
-A-
the good ole south
No I guess I overstated that, I don't want him to suffer, but he is still normal and happy looking, and he is taking his pills mixed in with his food.. His name is Morris.

Return to Top
#529200 - 04/10/06 01:32 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Morris is in my prayers.

Return to Top
#529201 - 04/10/06 01:38 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
-A- Offline
Gold Star
-A-
the good ole south
Thanx Sweetpeas, as of this morning he's still acts like normal, so I'm watching him and playing it by ear.

Return to Top
#529202 - 04/10/06 07:13 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
Paul Franklin Offline
100 Club
Bothell, Washington
Sorry to hear about your cat. My wife and I just lost our 15 year old cat to cancer, and I know how hard it can be to make the decision to put a pet to sleep. When the time comes you will know, but until then, enjoy the time you have left with him.

Return to Top
#529203 - 04/10/06 11:09 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I lost two kittens when they were 9 months old to FL. The got it from their mom at birth. I swore I would never have another cat, but three months later I did. I lost one of them to diabetis and liver disease. Again, never again, until stray cat were born under my deck. I have two from one litter that are about 6 and two from another that are 3. One of the older ones (Petie) is FL positive. He show no signs. I have had the others vacinated but there is a chance they will get it. I will just enjoy them while they are healthy and when they get ill enought to be uncomfortable, I will put them to sleep.

My Petie is the most loving cat there is, thinks he is a human and wants me to cuddle him like a baby.

Return to Top
#529204 - 04/10/06 11:54 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
-A- Offline
Gold Star
-A-
the good ole south
I'm not sure I want to get attached to another cat, but if and when I get another one, I will get him/her when it's a kitten and get it fixed and keep it inside always as a house cat. My Morris isn't showing "sick" signs yet, he just has a bloated tummy and he is eating and taking his pill with his food.

Return to Top
#529205 - 04/11/06 12:26 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

I'm not sure I want to get attached to another cat, but if and when I get another one, I will get him/her when it's a kitten and get it fixed and keep it inside always as a house cat. My Morris isn't showing "sick" signs yet, he just has a bloated tummy and he is eating and taking his pill with his food.

Morris may be fine for quite a while. Just give him lots of love and affection because the good days will come to an end. When it's time to make the tough decision you will know. It hurts like [censored] (for us, not the pet), but it's the most loving thing you can do for your pet when they get to a certain point.

Return to Top
#529206 - 04/11/06 03:20 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I feel for you. As many feral barn cats and some domesticated that I've had over the years, I've never delt with this disease, altho I understand it is very prevalent. Hopefully Morris will be with you for a good long while yet...enjoy him while you can!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#529207 - 04/17/06 02:56 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
You are in my thoughts... Poor Morris.

Return to Top
#529208 - 04/19/06 01:05 AM Re: Feline Leukemia
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I agree, you don't want him to be suffering before you consider putting him down, but also, don't rush to that conclusion either. I feel so bad when I hear about people euthanizing their pets as soon as they find out the animals are sick. I mean, if I find out I have an incurable disease, and I have maybe 5 years to live, I wouldn't want to die now. I could enjoy alot of those 5 years.

And who knows? Morris will live a long and happy life and God may mercifully take him when He's ready.

Enjoy Morris while you have him. None of us know how long we'll be here.

Return to Top
#529209 - 04/20/06 12:53 AM Re: Feline Leukemia
-A- Offline
Gold Star
-A-
the good ole south
Morris slipped away on me today. Warning: sad details following - I wasn't expecting it this quick. Because he never got "sickly" acting. When i got home from work, he was laying on the carport, there were a few flys around him. I thought he was dead, until I would see him heave a deep breath and that would happen like every 30seconds or so. His eyes were wide open but he was not responding to anything. At one point he moved a bit and started letting out real loud and hoarse meows. I didn't know what to do, I was in tears. It was late when I got home, so I was calling the local animal clinics to see if one was still open so that I could take him and have him put to rest real quick. He finally took his last breath about 20 minutes later. By that time, a really bad storm was coming up, with cloud to ground lightning, and I could not dig his grave. I will have to do that in the morning. The only thing I can do in the meantime, we left him on the carport covered with a small tarp. And i will dig his grave and bury him in the morning in a special area in by back yard. - weather permitting.

Return to Top
#529210 - 04/20/06 01:08 AM Re: Feline Leukemia
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
I'm so sorry. It was a very sad day when I lost my Maddie.

(((humdafun)))

Return to Top
#529211 - 04/20/06 01:13 AM Re: Feline Leukemia
-A- Offline
Gold Star
-A-
the good ole south
Thank you PL. I keep visualizing his sweet little face, and it brings me to tears.

Return to Top
#529212 - 04/20/06 12:11 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I can't express how sorry I am for you and your family. However, I am glad Morris is out of pain and is in a better place. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Return to Top
#529213 - 04/20/06 03:55 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
Dlynn58 Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
I am so sorry for your loss. We lost our "Tigger" to the same thing. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Return to Top
#529214 - 04/20/06 06:11 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
Tyke Offline
100 Club
I am so sorry for your loss. What were some of his symptoms?

Return to Top
#529215 - 04/20/06 06:30 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I am sorry for your loss.

Return to Top
#529216 - 04/20/06 06:30 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
(((hugs)))) I'm sorry for your loss

Return to Top
#529217 - 04/20/06 07:47 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
~~~izzo~~~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~~~izzo~~~
NY
Ohhh. I was not expecting to read this. How sad. Poor Morris. Big Hugs to you and yours.

Return to Top
#529218 - 04/20/06 09:49 PM Re: Feline Leukemia
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I am very sorry to hear that Morris went so quickly. But at least he did not suffer over an extended time. And he knew you loved him. It is so hard to lose a pet. Take care.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett