BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#531884 - 04/14/06 12:24 PM Best Banking Phone Call
Raymond Offline
Platinum Poster
Raymond
The Land of OZ
I love full moons. They bring out some of the craziest people.

Had a lady come in yesterday who needed to borrow $2K unsecured to pay a bill. Said she could pay it back in 30 days. Normally, we would not make a loan that small, but one of our officers said we would look at it - so we did. But her credit didn't meet our qualifications, so I called her back within 30 mintues to tell her she did not qualify.

My part of the "conversation" took 2 minutes. The overall call was 10 minutes. The remaining 8 minutes was this lady yelling at me and telling me how stupid I was because I wouldn't give her a loan. As she'd yell, I'd just sit there quietly and listen. Then she'd go, "Are you still there?" I say "Yes, I was just listening" or "I'm sorry that you feel that way" and then she'd start in again. I was so glad she hung up on me because I wasn't sure how much longer I could go without laughing.

I asked our compliance manager to go ahead and pre-print me 2 or 3 Notices of Action Taken with the date of each full moon between now and the end of the year to save both of us some time. I asked her to go ahead and pre-mark the bankruptcy and deliquent history boxes on the form too.

It was just too funny.

Oh, and she's closing out her $300 balance, check-bounce'n, free checking account and taking her business else where. I guess she showed me.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#531885 - 04/14/06 12:33 PM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
i think this is funny ...gotta love these kind of phone calls.

Return to Top
#531886 - 04/14/06 12:40 PM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have heard second hand that there have been customers who cannot believe they are overdrawn because they still have checks left.

Return to Top
#531887 - 04/14/06 03:54 PM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
DCollins Offline
Platinum Poster
DCollins
Years ago when I was the banks receptionist, I received a call from a women who apparently wasn't listening when I answered the phone because she said "This is So and So and I want to make an appointment on such and such a day at this time for my pap test". I had to calmly say to the lady, "I'm sorry,you have the wrong number, this is a bank". She just said "Oh, sorry" and hung up. What makes it funny is I knew the lady.... but I never told her that I was the one who answered the phone at the bank.

Return to Top
#531888 - 04/14/06 04:02 PM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

Years ago when I was the banks receptionist, I received a call from a women who apparently wasn't listening when I answered the phone because she said "This is So and So and I want to make an appointment on such and such a day at this time for my pap test". I had to calmly say to the lady, "I'm sorry,you have the wrong number, this is a bank". She just said "Oh, sorry" and hung up. What makes it funny is I knew the lady.... but I never told her that I was the one who answered the phone at the bank.

You should have asked which loan officer she'd like to schedule the test with. And if she minded laying on the desk since you had no tables with stirrups at that branch.

Return to Top
#531889 - 04/14/06 05:11 PM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
-A- Offline
Gold Star
-A-
the good ole south

Return to Top
#531890 - 04/14/06 06:44 PM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
Quote:

Quote:

You should have asked which loan officer she'd like to schedule the test with. And if she minded laying on the desk since you had no tables with stirrups at that branch.

ROFL... I so needed that laugh today... LOL...

Return to Top
#531891 - 04/14/06 06:51 PM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
JoeEastBanker Offline
Boston, MA
There is one customer who calls every week asking us to update her on what checks she has written that haven't cleared yet.

And I am just dumb-founded everytime the call is forwarded to me! You see I covered for someone in our call center for a few hours and this lady called. Ever since, the manager of the dept sends the call to me! He thinks it's funny ... I laugh an hour later.

Return to Top
#531892 - 04/14/06 06:56 PM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
TNBanker Offline
100 Club
My first job in the bank was answering the phone. On the Thursday before Good Friday we had several calls asking if we were open the next day. I would simply say we were and most of the time, there was no discussion. Except for one lady. She was livid that we made our employees work on Good Friday. I explained that Good Friday is not a Federal Holiday, therefore, as business we did not close. This answer was not good enough. She continued on. When she paused to catch her breath, I simply said, "I hate that we are open today also, but XXXXX Bank does close in observance of Easter."

She simply replied, "Oh. I'm glad they allow their employees time to celebrate Easter. Have a nice weekend."

I wonder to this day if she ever figured out what I said.

Return to Top
#531893 - 04/15/06 03:30 PM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
bgehres Offline
100 Club
I was telling a customer about our auto loan terms over the phone awhile back. I told her that for that particular car would go loan up to 36 months.

Her reply: "I'm not very good at math, how long is that?"

Return to Top
#531894 - 04/15/06 04:45 PM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
ThePaul Offline
Diamond Poster
ThePaul
Dallas, TX
I had a customer awhile back who was inquiring about charges on her account, and every amount that I told her had come out she claimed she didn't authorize. Of course, each time I tell her where it was from she suddenly remembers it happening after just denying that it was her. After this happened 5-6 times, she still said that it just doesnt seem to add up to her... So I pulled out my calculator, added up the purchases that I had just told her that she said she did and subtracted it from what she agreed was her balance before this. When it came out to exactly what her balance is, she got mad still and threatened that she would "take ALL her money to another bank".

...Her balance was 34 cents...

Return to Top
#531895 - 04/17/06 02:38 PM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
Anonymous
Unregistered

I worked in our bank's Call Center for 3 1/2 years. I have hundreds of stories that I won't bore you with here. But man, I DO NOT regret getting out of there one bit!

Return to Top
#531896 - 04/17/06 02:41 PM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
ThePaul Offline
Diamond Poster
ThePaul
Dallas, TX
heh, I know what thats like... I worked in a call center for MBNA for 2 years before I came to the bank I'm at now.

Return to Top
#531897 - 04/18/06 02:45 AM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
Anonymous
Unregistered

The best is when someone calls, you answer the phone and they ask if you are open... It really makes me want to say no to them sometimes... Its great

Return to Top
#531898 - 04/18/06 11:34 AM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

The best is when someone calls, you answer the phone and they ask if you are open... It really makes me want to say no to them sometimes... Its great

Are you never there when you're not open?

Return to Top
#531899 - 04/18/06 11:59 AM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
ThePaul Offline
Diamond Poster
ThePaul
Dallas, TX
I HAVE said no before... because we weren't...
You gotta be here before the bank opens to get everything ready and leave after it closes to put everything away, unless you guys leave all your money out lol

Return to Top
#531900 - 04/19/06 12:52 AM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let me rephrase this. We are a different kind of bank meaning that we are on a military institution. Our hours of operation are Monday through Saturday 9am-8pm and Sunday from 10am-7pm. Our holiday hours are 9am-5pm. We are what you call a cash cage, but we are also a bank. They will call on a regular day at 6:30 and ask us if we are open. That is why it is so odd for us. You would think that military people would have more common sense than that, but then again you never know. We get here an hour early and leave an hour later just like everyone else. It is just funny when they call during our normal business hours and ask if we are open...

Return to Top
#531901 - 04/19/06 03:53 AM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
Anonymous
Unregistered

"we are on a military institution. "

You mean installation right?

Return to Top
#531902 - 04/19/06 03:59 AM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now thats funny. Bankers sure don't take a back seat to customer calls

Return to Top
#531903 - 04/19/06 02:57 PM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
AngelinaLM Offline
Diamond Poster
Boise, ID
At the bank I worked at in my past life, we had a lady call and ask for the balance on her account. She recieved a letter saying that her account was overdrawn. She said that she didnt understand because she had just sold her car and she gave her ATM card and pin number to the guy she sold it to so that he could make a deposit into her account for her. Well when we did the research on it, the guy took all of her money, duh, and put an I.O.U. note in the envelope for the deposit for her car.

Return to Top
#531904 - 04/19/06 02:59 PM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
Anonymous
Unregistered

We place bets on President's Day and Martin Luther King how many calls we will have that ask if we are open. It is very annoying after awhile. We had a lady call and ask what time it was and another called and asked if the library was open? We always say we are a full service bank.

Return to Top
#531905 - 04/19/06 05:45 PM Re: Best Banking Phone Call
strongbad Offline
Gold Star
strongbad
Arkansas
I had a customer about a year ago come in and ask for some cash from her account, but she had a negative balance. When I told her she didn't have any money she asked "But how can I not have any money when I still have checks?"

Return to Top