Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#538524 - 04/26/06 08:43 PM Re: Finally...
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Ron, go practice pseudo-law somewhere else. There are about three other posters who care what your opinion on this subject is.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#538525 - 04/26/06 09:00 PM Re: Finally...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Ron, go practice pseudo-law somewhere else. There are about three other posters who care what your opinion on this subject is.

but i enjoy it. and i am pretty sure i was educating quite a few people how constitutional law works.

i do think you will care a great deal if the case turns out favorably for my pov however.

Return to Top
#538526 - 04/26/06 09:03 PM Re: Finally...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

I was just about to make a post in regards to this.... just makes me sick (about our legal system) that they are even considering this. Maybe they should spend a few hundred million dollars on testing and research to determine exactly how much "pain and suffering" these convicts actually experience while being lethally injected...if they havent already. Maybe they should do it in the least expensive way possible.....Oh wait that would be considered total disregard for a human life right?? So what they did to their "victims" and families of their victims just gets thrown out the window and fogotten right??

i'll start by answering like this:
veternarians stopped using this same method to euthanize animals years ago because it was incredibly painful for them. unlike animals, we as citizens have a constitution that protects us from cruel and unusual punishment-- regardless if you think a person deserves it. we do not use vigilante justice here in this society although you may want us to.

waaaa cry me a river ron. You do the crime, you pay the price.

Return to Top
#538527 - 04/26/06 09:06 PM Re: Finally...
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
Quote:

It's also interesting to note that we are among the very last of the "developed" countries to still have the DP.

does this statement mean official death penalty? or does it cover when criminals just mysteriously die while trying to escape? What are the "developed" coutnries.

Return to Top
#538528 - 04/26/06 09:37 PM Re: Finally...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

It's also interesting to note that we are among the very last of the "developed" countries to still have the DP.

does this statement mean official death penalty? or does it cover when criminals just mysteriously die while trying to escape? What are the "developed" coutnries.

I would say that it does not matter whether we are the last developed country to practice the death penalty. This fact does not make it right or wrong. Basically you are comparing us to Europe who is full of bleeding hearts. They also still censor their media from printing anything anti-patriotic (France).

Return to Top
#538529 - 04/26/06 10:01 PM Re: Finally...
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
I am not comparing us to anybody. I just want to know who the qualifying countries are.

Return to Top
#538530 - 04/26/06 10:46 PM Re: Finally...
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

but i enjoy it. and i am pretty sure i was educating quite a few people how constitutional law works.

Oh, yes, you're just a fountain of enlightenment.

Quote:

i do think you will care a great deal if the case turns out favorably for my pov however.

True, I will care about that development, were it to occur. However, that development will - in all likelihood - have nothing to do with your opinion.

If you want to continue posting on the subject, by all means, go ahead. I was in a foul mood, and was annoyed to see the subject again. It is, of course, your right to post on whatever you want. I should have ignored it.

Return to Top
#538531 - 04/26/06 11:38 PM Re: Finally...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

waaaa cry me a river ron. You do the crime, you pay the price.

lol

i am just saying that maybe the price you have have in mind might wind up being illegal.

i favor effective punishment. the DP is nothing more than revenge-- which is a fine position, just admit that that is what it is.

Return to Top
#538532 - 04/26/06 11:44 PM Re: Finally...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

have nothing to do with your opinion

how so? if lethal injection comes off the table, i don't see the more draconian measures go back on. after all, lethal injection was the way around that pesky 'cruel and unusual' thing.

j, we all act irrationally when we are in foul moods. i was actually hope to hear you chime in on this because we have some good debates although we don't seem to get the chance anymore.

btw, i prefer "font of wisdom".

Return to Top
#538533 - 04/27/06 12:09 AM Re: Finally...
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

have nothing to do with your opinion

how so? if lethal injection comes off the table, i don't see the more draconian measures go back on. after all, lethal injection was the way around that pesky 'cruel and unusual' thing.

Uh, ok.

The point was, unless Scalia is perusing these threads and finds your thoughts particularly convincing - [write your own joke here, conservatives] - I don't see your opinion as the lynchpin.

Return to Top
#538534 - 04/27/06 12:10 AM Re: Finally...
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

i was actually hope to hear you chime in on this...

You're a very bored employee, aren't you?

Return to Top
#538535 - 04/27/06 12:12 AM Re: Finally...
Anonymous
Unregistered

death by 1000 cuts

Return to Top
#538536 - 04/27/06 12:47 AM Re: Finally...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

i was actually hope to hear you chime in on this...

You're a very bored employee, aren't you?

i have my moments.

Return to Top
#538537 - 04/27/06 12:51 AM Re: Finally...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I don't see your opinion as the lynchpin.

then tell me how to practice the DP in a more humane way.

Return to Top
#538538 - 04/27/06 01:04 AM Re: Finally...
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

i favor effective punishment. the DP is nothing more than revenge-- which is a fine position, just admit that that is what it is.

Ron, Ron, Ron. . . .

1) It may be nothing more than revenge to some people, but others believe it has a deterrent effect. And you cannot prove them wrong. (Nor can they prove themselves right).

2) Is deterrence the only purpose for punishments in our legal system???? I can think of at least three others: a) maintaining public safety by keeping criminals off the streets; b) reformation/rehabilitation; and c) retribution (or revenge as you call it - others might call it justice).

Many (perhaps all) punishments in our legal system contain elements of retribution as well as deterrence and rehabilitation. The dp is the ultimate, but certainly not the only, example of this.

I am not a fan of the dp as currently implemented (nothing to do with the manner of execution, everything to do with flaws in the system). I have no real philosophical problem with it, though.

You may disagree with the reasoning of some dp proponents, but you don't do yourself or them any justice by telling them to just admit that their motives can only be what you say they are.

Return to Top
#538539 - 04/27/06 01:27 AM Re: Finally...
Anonymous
Unregistered

i think the deterrent argument is the soundest one i have. logically. statistics on this are in the eye of the beholder.

retribution is certainly your best argument but closing the door on lethal injection may take that away from you. you know i couldn't say much if they amended the DP into the constitution.

obviously i AM a fan of what you see as a flawed system. and my opposition is philosophical; the government is not showing the better example imo. they(govt of the people) are themselves becoming the beasts. i think 2 wrongs don't make a right. etc, etc.

sorry i was harsh. i wasn't trying to be overly abrasive. just being frank. i'm a man who loves rhetorical window dressing but sometimes you just have to get to the nitty grittyl.

Return to Top
#538540 - 04/27/06 01:15 PM Re: Finally...
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

Why?

Return to Top
#538541 - 04/27/06 01:25 PM Re: Finally...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why?

you said that a favorable decision for me in the lethal injection case wouldn't be a linchpin

Return to Top
#538542 - 04/27/06 01:26 PM Re: Finally...
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
No, I said that your opinion would not be the determining factor.

Return to Top
#538543 - 04/27/06 01:31 PM Re: Finally...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

No, I said that your opinion would not be the determining factor.

do you mean my opinion as to the humaneness of lethal injection?

Return to Top
#538544 - 04/27/06 01:33 PM Re: Finally...
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why?

you said that a favorable decision for me in the lethal injection case wouldn't be a linchpin

No, he said your opinion wouldn't be the lynch pin.

Return to Top
#538545 - 04/27/06 01:45 PM Re: Finally...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why?

No, he said your opinion wouldn't be the lynch pin.

sorry, i am not following. what is my opinion that wouldn't be the lynchpin?

Return to Top
#538546 - 04/27/06 01:58 PM Re: Finally...
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
We the supreme court after careful examination of ron jeremy's opinion have concluded that.....

Return to Top
#538547 - 04/27/06 02:17 PM Re: Finally...
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Is anyone besides Ron not picking up what I'm laying down?

Return to Top
#538548 - 04/27/06 02:28 PM Re: Finally...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Is anyone besides Ron not picking up what I'm laying down?

nobody else is paying attention. this is a 2-(3 with swimware)way street. please just spit it out. i am probably just being dense.

Return to Top
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6