Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#53884 - 01/13/03 04:43 PM Safe Deposit Boxes
yy2say Offline
Gold Star
yy2say
PA
Is there any information out there that can tell me what is a minimum time frame that a safe deposit box can be rented for before it would be considered customer safekeeping?

I have a situation where one of our "non traditional" branches would like to rent safe deposit boxes for terms less than one year. Any information I could get would be helpful.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#53885 - 01/13/03 05:01 PM Re: Safe Deposit Boxes
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I don't think that it matters. Safekeeping, I thought, was defined as the bank having control of the property.

Return to Top
#53886 - 01/13/03 06:28 PM Re: Safe Deposit Boxes
I Wear Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
I Wear Many Hats
the beautiful state of ME
I don't think it matters either, we have had customers rent boxes for very short periods of time when they are settling an estate, etc. Even you signed someone up for a year lease they could put something in it, take it out the next day and close it -

Opinions are mine and mine alone.

Return to Top
#53887 - 01/13/03 06:32 PM Re: Safe Deposit Boxes
yy2say Offline
Gold Star
yy2say
PA
That is what I needed to hear ...I guess the branch will have to deal with the administrative headache of keeping track of keys. Thank you.

Return to Top
#53888 - 01/13/03 06:34 PM Re: Safe Deposit Boxes
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should if it's not cost effective.

Return to Top
#53889 - 01/13/03 07:30 PM Re: Safe Deposit Boxes
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you can collect the annual rent, then I think you should. I wouldn't give the box away, nor would I negotiate with the customer to only pay a certain amount, based on the amount of time rented...treat it as any other safe deposit rental, make them sign the contract, etc...MOST OF ALL COLLECT THE RENT!!!!

Return to Top