Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#539664 - 04/27/06 07:58 PM BSA Policy & Procedures question
CantBeShocked Offline
Gold Star
MS

I just moved to a $1.5 billion bank from an $8.5 billion bank and have run into a question. At the larger bank, our P&P were detailed but at the bank I just came to, they are more general. Compliance here is of the impression that if you stay "general", the regulators have less to hang you on.

What is everyone else doing with this ?

Thanks.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#539665 - 04/27/06 08:01 PM Re: BSA Policy & Procedures question
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
How 'general' is general? Will staff know exactly what to do in a given situation?
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#539666 - 04/27/06 08:12 PM Re: BSA Policy & Procedures question
CantBeShocked Offline
Gold Star
MS
It would depend on the situation. There is also required training every year too.

Return to Top
#539667 - 04/27/06 08:30 PM Re: BSA Policy & Procedures question
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
My recent BSA experience at a $2.9Bn bank was that the examiners expected BSA procedures to be detailed so that bank staff knew exactly what to do..who to contact, when, etc. Some others may be able to share their experiences.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#539668 - 04/27/06 08:30 PM Re: BSA Policy & Procedures question
Big Dog Offline
Power Poster
Big Dog
Kennel
I would start by looking at the last audit report from the examiners. If they did not comment on it, then you may be OK. If there were any comments, then there is your ammo to get some more detailed procedures in place. My experience is that the examiners are looking for more detailed policies and procedures.

Return to Top
#539669 - 04/27/06 08:33 PM Re: BSA Policy & Procedures question
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The less detailed the policies and procedures, the greater the tendency to "make it up as you go along." This can produce disparate actions from branch to branch, or even teller to teller. The result can be a customer who asks you, quite honestly, "I could do it at your Fifth Street branch, why can't I do it here?"

BSA/AML is just too complicated and important to let employees "play it by ear."
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#539670 - 04/27/06 10:18 PM Re: BSA Policy & Procedures question
Chopper Offline
New Poster
I agree with John. Lack of consistency across the enterprise will catch up with you.

Return to Top
#539671 - 04/28/06 05:43 PM Re: UPDATED QU--BSA Policy & Procedures question
CantBeShocked Offline
Gold Star
MS
Does everyone put their Policy and Procedures together ? OR - are the separate documents ?

Thanks again.

Return to Top
#539672 - 04/28/06 06:04 PM Re: UPDATED QU--BSA Policy & Procedures question
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Procedures should ideally be in a separate document(s) from Policy. They can be distributed together if you want, but I wouldn't recommend having them as two parts to the same document. My reasoning? Your board of directors should be approving major policies, but you really don't want them mired in the details of procedure. Frankly, they have no business there.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#539673 - 04/28/06 08:53 PM Re: UPDATED QU--BSA Policy & Procedures question
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
John makes a very good point. I have seen more and more BSA "Policies" which try to incorporate way too much, and you wind up with a 75 to 100 page tome with far too much detailed procedure - and the whole thing is approved by the Board. What this means is, everytime you need to "niggle" a procedure, you're supposed to go back to the Board for approval. Frankly - that's nuts!

I would prefer to see more of a separation of policy and procedure - as an example:

The policy can state that the Bank will monitor high risk customers to determine if the legitimacy of transactions, determie the frequency of review, and determine if the customer should remain on the high risk list.

The procedures then state HOW this will be done - i.e. what reports will be reviewed, any thresholds that are to be set, what factors can be considered, etc.

To me - Policy states WHAT the bank will do (Bank will comply with the requirements of BSA) - and Procedures spell out HOW the bank will do it.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z