Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options Tools
#53955 - 01/13/03 07:31 PM Training Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have seen a lot of great training tip shared in the various threads. Does anyone else think it would be great to have a separate training thread where we can share our best training methods? Or do you think it is best left randomly dispersed in the existing topics?

Training Tips Thread
single choice

Votes accepted starting: 01/15/04 01:48 AM
View Results

Return to Top
General Discussion
#53956 - 01/13/03 08:39 PM Re: Training Tips
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Sounds like a good idea to me!

Return to Top
#53957 - 01/13/03 09:09 PM Re: Training Tips
Christina Offline
100 Club
Christina
Midwest
I'd like to see a separate thread for training issues. I'm a trainer and have no expertise whatsoever regarding compliance. That said, it is still important to what I do. I don't have a background in which I can contribute to the general threads of BOL. Training can be such a challenge - meeting compliance needs as well as sales needs. I'd welcome the opportunite to share information. Thanks for the suggestion!

Return to Top
#53958 - 01/14/03 12:00 AM Re: Training Tips
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
You can only have your training thread if I get my CRA thread

But I do rather like reading the other threads. It's nice to be reminded I only deal with one little regulation

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#53959 - 01/14/03 12:39 AM Re: Training Tips
CalifDreamin Offline
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
That would be a good idea to have a separate CRA or CRA/HMDA thread. I think more threads came up before, though, and some felt that adding threads would make it harder to get through them all.
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><

Return to Top
#53960 - 01/14/03 09:01 AM Re: Training Tips
VT Banker Offline
VT, USA
This is a great idea. I am responsible for training Reg E, Privacy and OFAC and I try to find new and exciting ways to get my message across. A Training tip thread would be very helpful.

Return to Top
#53961 - 01/14/03 12:09 PM Re: Training Tips
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Don't you mean a separate "forum"?

Return to Top
#53962 - 01/14/03 01:06 PM Re: Training Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thread schmead forum schmorum...whatever. I may not get the online vernacular correct, but you get my point.

Return to Top
#53963 - 01/14/03 01:39 PM Re: Training Tips
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
There have been extensive discussions in the past few months about the pros and cons of additional forums. I'd refer you back to some of those for background before pushing forward with this debate. Ultimately, we can slice and dice this thing as fine as we want, but for every cut we make, it's questionable whether we are simplifying or complicating things.

Return to Top
#53964 - 01/14/03 02:28 PM Re: Training Tips
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I have read those threads and I generally agree that more forums is not necessarily the way to go. But a one-stop shop for training advice just makes sense. If you are a trainer, and I assume most COs are, when you are looking for training tips, you are likely looking for tips for more than one banking subject. It would be convenient to have them all in one place rather than to have to search all forums to see if someone has posted a training tip somewhere in a thread.

If you search for the word training, will you get a training tip or will it be someone answering a question with something they "learned in training" or just a comment that a person needs "training?" You will know if it appears in this forum, it is a training tip.

If the forum is created, I think it would be a good idea for someone to search old topics and move any training tip threads found into the new forum.

I find the idea of a training thread wholely different from the idea of breaking Banker's Threads Discussion into more substantive banking topics like CRA (sorry Dawnie), HMDA, Reg CC, etc.... These topics are already covered by broader topics. OK, arguably, so is training, but I believe training is a different animal. Again, a one-stop shop for training ideas just makes good sense.

Return to Top
#53965 - 01/14/03 02:51 PM Re: Training Tips
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Opinion/rant:
If you've read the threads on expanding the forums you've seen my comments and know where I stand.

Those like me who try to read most all of the postings see them anyway. I spend more time scrolling to get to some forums than I spend looking at the content, because there isn't, in my opinion, enough content posted there. As an example, the HR forum gets about 2 postings a day, on average.

Mix the threads in, encourage users to title threads appropriately, and save your favorite topics so you can go back to them later or do keyword searches.

Even with another forum, you'll have training posted in the other forums anyway. Many topics get mixed up now for various reasons. If someone wants their thread read, they put it where there is the most traffic. That won't change. So you won't have it in a neat bundle no matter what you do. Only we users control that.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#53966 - 01/14/03 03:03 PM Re: Training Tips
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I agree to disagree.

Return to Top
#53967 - 01/14/03 04:55 PM Re: Training Tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just as I suspected when I posted this...there is an overwhelming demand for this forum.

Return to Top
#53968 - 01/14/03 05:20 PM Re: Training Tips
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Training forum, yes, yes, yes! Now, thank you!

Return to Top
#53969 - 01/14/03 06:11 PM Re: Training Tips
thj Offline
New Poster
thj
Michigan
I have been using this resource for some time, but have never posted here before. I do feel a need to weigh on this discussion. I think Andy is right on target. Additional forums just slow me down. The fastest and best way to assure you get a rseposne, and/or can find appropriate threads in teh future is to title your initial question or comment in a descriptive manner. Using good description helps everyone filter through the wealth of information and pinpoint those topics that are helpful for any given issue.

Return to Top
#53970 - 01/14/03 07:11 PM Re: Training Tips
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Neh my answer was right If you get a training forum (and I don't think a sepearte one is necessary either because you'll find training everywhere...just like you do CRA) then I get a CRA forum.

I don't think training is any more worthy of another forum than CRA or Privacy, or well heck a bunch of regs out there. But if we are expanding, I'd like to have one source on CRA verses several (I see the stuff everywhere). But...I enjoy the scroll.

Perhaps it would be interesting to "test" a thread. If it slows down to two posts a day, it should be incorporated into another (general perhaps). If it's super active with great dialog....and I just think my CRA might be LOL...then keep the extra thread. (I'm using forum and thread interchanged here alot aren't I? You know what I mean).

The reason I have felt CRA would be a nice seperate thread is that most large bank CRA folks pretty much do just CRA, verses the overwhelming list of regs people like Andy and Zabitetc do. But...I could be bribed out of this desire with a good Pinot....

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#53971 - 01/14/03 07:50 PM Re: Training Tips
wlavoie Offline
Gold Star
wlavoie
Hell's Canyon
I think a possible neutral solution is found in the thread index here. Maybe we could get the index to lump categories to everyone's satisfaction. Everyone has to compromise (a little).

Return to Top
#53972 - 01/14/03 11:47 PM Re: Training Tips
Lucy Griffin Offline

Diamond Poster
Lucy Griffin
Here's a thought. How about we follow -- voluntarily, of course, a protocol of identifying the general subject area when starting a thread. For example "Training-BSA needs" or "Training - keeping records" or "CRA- any good investment ideas?" I agree with Andy that scrolling through the index can be a frustrating process. Many of us go to all fora (or most of them anyway) and that takes extra time. But I also see a need for additional topics. CRA is at the top of my list.

Return to Top
#53973 - 01/15/03 02:36 PM List of Training Threads 6-2-02 to 1-14-03
Anonymoose Offline

Return to Top
#53974 - 01/15/03 02:39 PM Re: List of Training Threads 6-2-02 to 1-14-03
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
What, no synopsis???
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#53975 - 01/15/03 02:53 PM Re: List of Training Threads 6-2-02 to 1-14-03
Anonymoose Offline
You don't see the synopses? Oh, I forgot, they are written in font so tiny only those with 20/5 vision can read them.

Return to Top
#53976 - 01/15/03 05:08 PM Re: List of Training Threads 6-2-02 to 1-14-03
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess this means we don't get a Training forum.

Return to Top
#53977 - 01/15/03 05:11 PM Re: List of Training Threads 6-2-02 to 1-14-03
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I don't know who will make that decision, Mary Beth, Lucy, Michele, all, or the software program. But if you need 20/5 vision, count me out. I can't even read the synopsis Moose added in.

Return to Top
#53978 - 01/16/03 02:10 PM Re: List of Training Threads 6-2-02 to 1-14-03
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
What do you think about converting the marketing forum (which is very small) to marketing/training?

Return to Top
#53979 - 01/16/03 03:35 PM Re: List of Training Threads 6-2-02 to 1-14-03
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wouldn't it be better combined with the Human Resources forum--human resources usually handles most employee training. We could call it the "Human Resources/Training Forum".

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2