Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#542534 - 05/03/06 04:45 PM Domestic Partner Coverage
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
We were just notified that our health insurance company will offer coverage to a registered domestic partner the same as husband/wife coverage. Does anyone else offer this feature? My HR person is worried about the obligation of the bank if we were to offer this and then, down the road, switch insurance companies to one that does not allow this coverage. He is afraid the bank will some how be obligated to find coverage for the couple, I don't believe this. Does anyone have any words of wisdom

Return to Top
Human Resources
#542535 - 05/08/06 10:48 PM Re: Domestic Partner Coverage
SavannahOne Offline
Diamond Poster
Georgia
This is a very sensitive subject so first let me say I have no opinion one way or the other on whether your bank should offer the coverage.

That said, your HR's concern is valid. While there is no LEGAL obligation to provide the coverage (or any coverage for that matter), ask yourself what message the bank will be sending, unintentially or not, if it suddenly drops this coverage.

However please consider that, as this coverage is becoming more and more common, the odds of not finding another insurance company "down the road" are probably lower than you would think.

Return to Top
#542536 - 05/12/06 06:28 PM Re: Domestic Partner Coverage
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Health benefits, like all other benefits, are a condition of employment that can be changed at any time by the employer. To cover domestic partners and or their children they will need to be certified or registered, meaning that they must complete an affidavit as such. This prevents employees from covering anyone who may reside in the same household.

If you offer it now and then change carriers down the road and the carrier does not offer the coverage your liability is mitigated, because the carrier has made the decision not to allow domestic partner coverage. However, you will need to do some explaning to the domestic partner employees why coverage is not available at that time. Some states (i.e. California) now mandate domestic partner coverage if you provide healh care benefits. But again they must be registered as such.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry