BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#542895 - 05/03/06 09:56 PM Falstaff Beer
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
My friends and I used to drink Falstaff Beer quite often while in college in the early seventies, but I haven't seen on the shelves in several years. Does anyone know where it can still be purchased (especially in Northern California)? It was truly a great beer -- much better than Miller or Coors.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#542896 - 05/03/06 10:02 PM Re: Falstaff Beer
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Bad news - Pabst stopped production in 2005 (according to realbeer.com).

Return to Top
#542897 - 05/04/06 03:18 PM Re: Falstaff Beer
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
That is indeed sad news. At one time, Falstaff was the #2 selling beer in America. I even had a few shares of stock at one time. Then it was purchased by Paul Kalmanowitz (sp?), and he drove the brand into the ground. I knew it had been purchased by Pabst, but up until a few years ago, I could still find it in a few liquor stores. I guess we can only hope someone will buy the brand name, label, and formula and resurrect it. Thanks for the info.

Return to Top
#542898 - 05/04/06 04:34 PM Re: Falstaff Beer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

That is indeed sad news. At one time, Falstaff was the #2 selling beer in America. I even had a few shares of stock at one time. Then it was purchased by Paul Kalmanowitz (sp?), and he drove the brand into the ground. I knew it had been purchased by Pabst, but up until a few years ago, I could still find it in a few liquor stores. I guess we can only hope someone will buy the brand name, label, and formula and resurrect it. Thanks for the info.

Falstaff Frankenstein Ale?

Return to Top
#542899 - 05/04/06 04:52 PM Re: Falstaff Beer
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
I am not a big beer drinker and have never heard of Falstaff Beer. However, One beer that I think is absolutely amazing is Chimay. Anyone ever try it? It's brewed by trappist monks. Good Stuff

Return to Top
#542900 - 05/04/06 04:59 PM Re: Falstaff Beer
ThePaul Offline
Diamond Poster
ThePaul
Dallas, TX
Quote:

I am not a big beer drinker and have never heard of Falstaff Beer. However, One beer that I think is absolutely amazing is Chimay. Anyone ever try it? It's brewed by trappist monks. Good Stuff

I love chimay, theres three kinds though, do you know which you like? there is a blue, white, and red... in that order from strongest to weakest (though the weakest is still 7%). I like both white and red, but the blue kind had a horrible aftertaste IMO

Return to Top
#542901 - 05/04/06 05:03 PM Re: Falstaff Beer
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
I like all of them and even have the special Chimay Chalis. But you are right, the Red and White are the best.

Return to Top
#542902 - 05/04/06 05:06 PM Re: Falstaff Beer
ThePaul Offline
Diamond Poster
ThePaul
Dallas, TX
Have you tried Lindemans? Its another Belgian beer that someone from here (I forget who) recommended awhile back and its extremely good... also extremely expensive though. Theres a few different kinds of that too, but the 2 I like the most are the Framboise and the Kriek, which are the rasberry and cherry ones.

Return to Top
#542903 - 05/04/06 05:12 PM Re: Falstaff Beer
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Western Brewing Co was a local brewery area foundeed in 1840 to brew beer for the large German immigrat population in the St Louis area.

The very first Fallstaff brand appeared in 1899
In 2002 the Falstaff contract was shifted from Miller to City Brewing which was owned by Pabst. Sales were decling and by 2003 the brand had disappered from a number of states. In 2005 Pabst announced it would no longer produce Falstaff Beer Sales in 2004 were only 1,468 barrels.

Another good German Beer in the St Louis area was Stag

Return to Top
#542904 - 05/04/06 08:00 PM Re: Falstaff Beer
HMDAMII Offline
Has anyone had Caffreys Irish Cream Ale? I found it in Ireland when I was there and they sold it in the US for about 2 years b/f the distribution rights were bought by coors and they didn't want it competing w/Killians Red (like it would I keep hoping they'll bring it back to the US its so GOOD!

Return to Top
#542905 - 05/04/06 09:09 PM Re: Falstaff Beer
ThePaul Offline
Diamond Poster
ThePaul
Dallas, TX
Quote:

Has anyone had Caffreys Irish Cream Ale? I found it in Ireland when I was there and they sold it in the US for about 2 years b/f the distribution rights were bought by coors and they didn't want it competing w/Killians Red (like it would I keep hoping they'll bring it back to the US its so GOOD!

Hmmmm, so thats why we have such crappy beer like coors... because they just buy out the competition once they make a better beer...

Return to Top
#542906 - 05/04/06 10:30 PM Re: Falstaff Beer
RandomName Offline
Diamond Poster
Austin, TX
All I know about this beer is that Sheryl Crow name-checked it in A Change Would Do You Good:

"He's a platinum canary
Drinking Falstaff beer."

Return to Top
#542907 - 05/04/06 10:32 PM Re: Falstaff Beer
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:

All I know about this beer is...

I've used it to kill slugs in the garden.

Return to Top