Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21
Thread Options
#543388 - 05/05/06 04:23 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Or we will just conitnue to buy things made in China like we do at WalMart because the Average Joe making minimum (or a little above) can't afford products that are made by Americans.

SP. Isn't it unfortunate that this is true because it sounds like the same arguments that were made to keep slavery legal in the south. "We've got to have slaves doing the agricultural work or the Southern economy will fail." At least the slaves got three square meals, health care, and a roof over their heads, such as they were. I am not sure most illegal immigrant can afford the amenities slaves were given.

Interestingly enough, NPR covered this the other day. The average pay for an illegal immigrant is $480 a week. That's average some will get higher some lower. But that balances out to $12/hr not a bad pay rate considering the minimum wage. Further, if they get a green card these immigrants average making $700+ per week. Then $980/ week when they become citizens. If these numbers are true their wages aren't cheaper than legal workers, the real money is saved on not paying benefits or having to pay taxes on them.

What was the bottom line point of the NPR report? Green card immigrants and immigrants who get citizenship are much more likely to be professionals. (Were the $700+ $980 figures for all immigrants who get green cards or become citizens or only for illegals who then become citizens?) Illegals who are working the menial task are probably not very likely to get a green card or citizenship, right? I don't think those numbers are indicative of the illegal immigrant situation at all.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#543389 - 05/05/06 04:23 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Anonymous
Unregistered

"In a country with freedom of expression"

Freedom doesn't mean anything goes. Freedom has limitations. Freedom comes with a price. Part of the price is defending our country against foreign and domestic forces that seek to eliminate, erode, diminish, and divide our country

I am constantly amazed at the attitude displayed in many posts in these forums thats its OK to do what ever anyone wants because it a "Free" country.

SweetPea I’m sure you are a very nice person and you are sincere in what you believe
But you have to stop grasping at these wild scenario’s It doesn’t matter what Jimmy Hendrixs did, It doesn’t matter what is sold at Walmart, To the others it doesn’t matter how Rosanne sang the anthem, Yes it was disgusting and she paid a price for it. But So What?

None of it relates to millions of non citizens who have no legal right to be in this country demanding the resources of America be provided to establish their own population centers and creating their own country within ours.

Why is it that they are not demonstrating for reform in their own country? Why is it they will not fight for the rights in their country that they expect to receive here.? Why are they not demanding the citizenship rights of their own country?

Why do they need a different anthem when we have a perfectly good one that citizens of our country approved?

Return to Top
#543390 - 05/05/06 04:30 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

"In a country with freedom of expression"

Freedom doesn't mean anything goes. Freedom has limitations. Freedom comes with a price. Part of the price is defending our country against foreign and domestic forces that seek to eliminate, erode, diminish, and divide our country

I am constantly amazed at the attitude displayed in many posts in these forums thats its OK to do what ever anyone wants because it a "Free" country.

SweetPea I’m sure you are a very nice person and you are sincere in what you believe
But you have to stop grasping at these wild scenario’s It doesn’t matter what Jimmy Hendrixs did, It doesn’t matter what is sold at Walmart, To the others it doesn’t matter how Rosanne sang the anthem, Yes it was disgusting and she paid a price for it. But So What?

None of it relates to millions of non citizens who have no legal right to be in this country demanding the resources of America be provided to establish their own population centers and creating their own country within ours.

Why is it that they are not demonstrating for reform in their own country? Why is it they will not fight for the rights in their country that they expect to receive here.? Why are they not demanding the citizenship rights of their own country?

Why do they need a different anthem when we have a perfectly good one that citizens of our country approved?

Great post! Vicente Fox and others in control not giving the poorest citizens an opportunity to succeed in Mexico while sitting on a figurative goldmine of natural resources (oil) and tourist traps, is the real crime here.

Return to Top
#543391 - 05/05/06 04:40 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I second the "Great post!"

Return to Top
#543392 - 05/05/06 04:55 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
lawmansbabe Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
I'll third it!

Return to Top
#543393 - 05/05/06 05:04 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Fourth

Return to Top
#543394 - 05/05/06 05:13 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's a nice post. I like the questions on reforms in other countries. I think that's very true; Mexico, in particular, probably needs to work on their own country's reform. To say nothing of China; their record of reform is quite lax. They have a lot of people in prison for doing just what we're doing here.

I'm still not sure why translating the anthem into Spanish means that the singers do not support or would defend the United States, however. I guess I just don't understand why *this* version is disrespectful or so inflammatory to Americans. It's a translation. No one is saying that this version would take precedence over the original version. Does it really matter in the long run?

To me, it seems like another tempest in a teapot. JMHO.

Suzy

Return to Top
#543395 - 05/05/06 05:40 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I have never heard anyone say that. But I have heard them say that we have the freedom to live our personal lives as we want as long as we are not infringing on the rights of others . You seem to think that you have the right to tell people what they can write or how they should express themselves. WHY? What gives you that right?

Do other people have the right to tell you what you should write or say? Of course not. Yes, this is about freedom. If someone wants to write a song or speak as they please in this country, that is guaranteed against government intrusion by the First Amendment. And self-appointed censors should consider staying out of other people's personal lives.

Return to Top
#543396 - 05/05/06 05:43 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
Uh-hmm... everyone join me in ENGLISH...

Oh say can you see.. by the dawns early light.. What so proudly we held...at the twlights last gleaming... who's brought stripes and bright stars....

Return to Top
#543397 - 05/05/06 05:46 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

I have never heard anyone say that. But I have heard them say that we have the freedom to live our personal lives as we want as long as we are not infringing on the rights of others . You seem to think that you have the right to tell people what they can write or how they should express themselves. WHY? What gives you that right?

Do other people have the right to tell you what you should write or say? Of course not. Yes, this is about freedom. If someone wants to write a song or speak as they please in this country, that is guaranteed against government intrusion by the First Amendment. And self-appointed censors should consider staying out of other people's personal lives.

Now that's a good post.

I am amazed by how some of you want to turn a Spanish version of our national anthem into a diatribe against illegal immigrants. There are plenty of Spanish speaking people legally in the country who probably appreciate the translation, too.

Return to Top
#543398 - 05/05/06 05:48 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Oh say can you see.. by the dawns early light.. What so proudly we held...at the twlights last gleaming... who's brought stripes and bright stars....

Thanks for proving my point - the lyrics are wrong.

Return to Top
#543399 - 05/05/06 05:49 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, Laura Bush doesn't seem to mind the Spanish version, nor does Rice:

Bush on CNN: "I don't think there's anything wrong with singing it in Spanish."

Rice on Face the Nation: "people expressing themselves as wanting to be American is a good thing."

Plus, Bush used a version of the anthem with a Hispanic beat at his campaign rallies, accompanied with a mariachi band "Viva Bush".

Courtesy of Margaret Carlson, "Immigrants Face 'Anthem All That'".

Suzy

Return to Top
#543400 - 05/05/06 05:51 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

no kiddin'.

the outrage here owes a lot to xenophobia whether you want to admit it or not. it has much less to do with a perversion of the anthem.

Return to Top
#543401 - 05/05/06 05:54 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I love it. Those who believe the laws should be enforced, our border secured, and our anthem sung as written - while welcoming legal immigrants and respecting their culture - are xenophobes.

Who knows, maybe that label will work as well as "homophobe" in accomplishing the latest pet cause for the left.

Return to Top
#543402 - 05/05/06 05:56 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I love it. Those who believe the laws should be enforced, our border secured, and our anthem sung as written - while welcoming legal immigrants and respecting their culture - are xenophobes.

Who knows, maybe that label will work as well as "homophobe" in accomplishing the latest pet cause for the left.

j, check out the title of the thread. then check out the comments and rationale of the posters within the thread.

you don't have to say something to say it.

Return to Top
#543403 - 05/05/06 06:01 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
And to the anon who said the Jimi reference was grasping at straws, read this and then tell me it's not on point.

"Jimi did an extended version on his guitar which was very unorthodox and caused some controversy among people who felt he was desecrating the song. He had been playing this version for about a year, beginning as part of a guitar solo he played during "Purple Haze." When he played southern states in the US, he was often warned not to play it because the locals made threats against him, but Jimi always played it anyway."

Return to Top
#543404 - 05/05/06 06:31 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Anonymous
Unregistered

So what does that have to do with the creation a Spanish National Anthem that is not representative of the American National Anthem. An anthem worded in spanish that is to become this ethinic populations anthem instead of the American National Anthem.

Return to Top
#543405 - 05/05/06 06:33 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

So what does that have to do with the creation a Spanish National Anthem that is not representative of the American National Anthem. An anthem worded in spanish that is to become this ethinic populations anthem instead of the American National Anthem.

it is the US national anthem translated into spanish. the "not representative" description of it is inaccurate.

Return to Top
#543406 - 05/05/06 06:34 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Anonymous
Unregistered

"read this and then tell me it's not on point."

Are you saying that the spanish version is a protest song like Jimmy's was? Is that your point

Return to Top
#543407 - 05/05/06 06:35 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess I just don't understand why *this* version is disrespectful or so inflammatory to Americans. It's a translation.

It is not a translation of the National Anthem. It is a completely different song based on the American anthem with the words changed to reflect a political view point of giving every one who crossed our border illegally full citizenship.

There is one American National Anthem. There are no other versions. We don't need a dozen with different viewpoints. By doing so means there would no longer be a "National" anthem.

Some say there is a need to have a Spanish Anthem so Spanish speaking can understand ours.

The problem with that is the Spanish version is not representative of our National Anthem. Besides its another example of why to become a citizen you should speak the language of our country. Or at least be making a stab at it. By constantly translating everything into another language there is no incentive for illegal immigrants to learn ours.

Does it matter in the long run?
How sad that you do not see that the dismissal of our national anthem is yet another tactic to undermine the real values and national unity our country stands for.

It’s a shame that people do not understand that a group of left leaning citizens of the US actually hate American, teach their ideology to impressionable and immature minds that do not have the life experience to make intelligent judgments, and support organizations like the ACLU to divide this nation.

Allowing various creation s of a National Anthem doesn’t seem like much to some, but it another step in the effort to eliminate National Unity.

Return to Top
#543408 - 05/05/06 06:36 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
Quote:

Quote:

just a few misspelled words... ya need to learn your NA...

Let me correct the following words: O, hail'd, twilights, broad....

Gotta love when your typing fast... to keep the thread from becoming such a nasty place...

Return to Top
#543409 - 05/05/06 06:42 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Anonymous
Unregistered

they didn't seem like typos as much as incorrect homonyms that you thought were really the words. i don't think SP was making a comment on 'twilights' (even when it is twilight's)

i think she made a fair point and it wasn't an insult on you, you just happened to make a comment that proved her point.

Return to Top
#543410 - 05/05/06 06:44 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
[quoteWhat was the bottom line point of the NPR report? Green card immigrants and immigrants who get citizenship are much more likely to be professionals. (Were the $700+ $980 figures for all immigrants who get green cards or become citizens or only for illegals who then become citizens?) Illegals who are working the menial task are probably not very likely to get a green card or citizenship, right? I don't think those numbers are indicative of the illegal immigrant situation at all.

The report was about the percentage of illegals were of what races, what fields they work in, and how much they make. The progression of pay increase was implied as illegals who pursue becoming legal as opposed to otherwise.

As for the issue of a Spanish anthem. I have decided that I am not against it nor am I for it. My question is "What is the application of it?" Is it going to be played at sporting events? In three months from now will anybody care? No, this story will go away as quickly as it emerged. It's not like you will ever have to hear it.

Return to Top
#543411 - 05/05/06 06:45 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
CHRIS MATTHEWS, HOST: Do you think the President was right when he said the other day that we ought to have an English language Star Spangled Banner?

SENATOR EDWARD KENNEDY: I think the Star Spangled Banner ought to be sung in English. Period.

Return to Top
#543412 - 05/05/06 06:48 PM Re: National Anthem in Spanish
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
Quote:

they didn't seem like typos as much as incorrect homonyms that you thought were really the words. i don't think SP was making a comment on 'twilights' (even when it is twilight's)

i think she made a fair point and it wasn't an insult on you, you just happened to make a comment that proved her point.

Believe me.. I know our NA... I've sang it at Homecoming games for many years... just accept the fact that I'm human and made mistakes in spelling.... now get back to your corner and stop piling on like some of the others do.

Return to Top
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21