Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#543940 - 05/05/06 03:27 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Cheney admitted drinking a beer, at lunch, five hours before the accident. Law enforcement was notified at the time it happened. The press was not.

Seriously, you think the secret service was just standing around letting people (including their charge) get drunk with guns around the vice president? There's your BS.

The absolute lust for something to make the VP look bad was partisan. This response is not partisan, it's common sense.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#543941 - 05/05/06 03:30 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

The absolute lust for something to make the VP look bad was partisan. This response is not partisan, it's common sense.

Now that's funny.

Return to Top
#543942 - 05/05/06 03:32 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Is it possible to move away from partisan politics? Is it just too late for a meeting of the minds...

That would kind of require everyone to have a mind, right? People who think these discussions are intelligent or prove a point are just killing time before lunch. The good thing is that it keeps them from applying their superior intellects to their job. I hope their employers are properly grateful.

Return to Top
#543943 - 05/05/06 03:33 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Cheney admitted drinking a beer, at lunch, five hours before the accident. Law enforcement was notified at the time it happened. The press was not.

Seriously, you think the secret service was just standing around letting people (including their charge) get drunk with guns around the vice president? There's your BS.

I guess that's my answer. I'll let you all continue your debate.

Suzy

Return to Top
#543944 - 05/05/06 03:35 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Is it possible to move away from partisan politics? Is it just too late for a meeting of the minds...

That would kind of require everyone to have a mind, right? People who think these discussions are intelligent or prove a point are just killing time before lunch. The good thing is that it keeps them from applying their superior intellects to their job. I hope their employers are properly grateful.

What did that add to the discussion? If you don't like the way the topic is being handled and you think everyone in here is so stupid, then leave. I don't see a soul begging you to stay and give your input.

Return to Top
#543945 - 05/05/06 03:49 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Cheney admitted drinking a beer, at lunch, five hours before the accident. Law enforcement was notified at the time it happened.

You are totally missing the point. Both Cheney and Rep. Kennedy had accidents in which substances may have been involved. Neither had blood alcohol testing done. Some have suggested earlier on this thread that this recent case was different treatment than a Republican would have received and the Cheney situation is being used to show that it was not.

Return to Top
#543946 - 05/05/06 03:57 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

he says he was not drunk but was made dizzy by sleeping pills. despite the kennedys sometimes despicable public behavior they are champions of many worthy politcal causes so just back off and let them be. that goes for ted and chappaquiddick too. their character should be judged by the good things they do not the mistakes they sometimes make. how would you like the press following you around all the time watching your every slip up?

You are not supposed to operate a motor vehicle while using sleeping pills.

Return to Top
#543947 - 05/05/06 03:59 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

How did this turn into a Cheney thing. Cheney did not drive drunk, Kennedy did.

Return to Top
#543948 - 05/05/06 04:02 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I don't see a soul begging you to stay and give your input.

An invitation was required? Where's yours?

Return to Top
#543949 - 05/05/06 04:06 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Going to Au Bar for lunch. Anyone coming? Meeting some old friends there, Ted, Will, and Patrick.

Return to Top
#543950 - 05/05/06 04:08 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Au Bar. isn't that where trust fund idlers and obscure blue bloods congregate?

Return to Top
#543951 - 05/05/06 04:48 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands

Return to Top
#543952 - 05/05/06 05:06 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Must be Bushes fault.

Return to Top
#543953 - 05/05/06 05:15 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, it's gotta be Clinton's fault!

Suzy

Return to Top
#543954 - 05/05/06 05:17 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

its not proper to judge someones actions because you dont know what caused them to behave that way. maybe they couldn't help it. character is tinged with cultural expectations so trying to judge anyones character is at least prejudicial and at worst discriminatory. can even be racist depending on the nature of the attack. "character" is a principle that has been redefined and even outmoded in todays world. no one should be judged on "character".

Interesting take on judging character, but it starts to break apart very quickly for me when I consider how this type logic applies to folks like Scott Peterson, or John Wayne Gacey, or a predatory pedophile. You're saying we shouldn't judge their actions if they couldn't help hurting other people. Please help us understand why this would make sense.

Return to Top
#543955 - 05/05/06 06:22 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Its not proper to judge someones actions because you dont know what caused them to behave that way. maybe they couldn't help it. character is tinged with cultural expectations so trying to judge anyones character is at least prejudicial and at worst discriminatory. can even be racist depending on the nature of the attack. "character" is a principle that has been redefined and even outmoded in todays world. no one should be judged on "character".

The more I think about the above statement, the more ridicuous it becomes to me. What this statement is saying is that people should not be judged based upon what they do, because they may not be able to help doing what they do. That leaves us with only a few things left to use for deciding whether someone is "a generally good person" or "a generally bad person." Those things are motives; intent and the fact they have done something good for others (which is, I have to admit, an action and therefore cannot be considered).

So, taking it to the extreme, if one claims Hitler's motives and intentions were good, then we cannot judge him for the atrocities of the Nazi regime in Germany. Conversley, we cannot judge Mother Theresa to be a good person because she helped comfort the poor and dying in Calcutta, who were abandoned by the cruel philosphy of Karma. We can only say she was a good person because she meant well and her heart was in the right place.

Return to Top
#543956 - 05/05/06 07:22 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thought this could add to the discussion... -

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060505/ap_o...zkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

Return to Top
#543957 - 05/05/06 08:26 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rep. Kennedy entering rehab after crash
'I struggle every day with this disease,' Democrat says

Friday, May 5, 2006; Posted: 4:21 p.m. EDT (20:21 GMT)

Police said Kennedy's car swerved before it crashed into a barricade on Capitol Hill.

Your donation of $30 will provide $240 worth of food in

WATCH Browse/Search

Patrick Kennedy entering rehab (2:52)
YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. Rep. Patrick Kennedy said Friday that he will enter a rehabilitation program after crashing his car on Capitol Hill a day earlier.

"I know that I need help," the Rhode Island Democrat said at an afternoon press conference, detailing what he called a long-term struggle with depression and addiction.

"I struggle every day with this disease, as do millions of Americans," Kennedy said.

He said he would be traveling Friday afternoon to Minnesota to seek help at the Mayo Clinic, where he was treated during the congressional recess at Christmas for an addiction to prescription pain medication. He said he returned "reinvigorated and healthy."

Kennedy, 39, said he had no recollection of the events surrounding the crash into a barricade on Capitol Hill early Thursday morning.

He said in a statement Thursday evening that he was apparently disoriented at the time of the crash after taking the prescribed amounts of a sleep aid and an anti-nausea drug.

"I am deeply concerned about my reaction to the medication and my lack of knowledge of the accident that evening. But I do know enough to know that I need to seek expert help," he said Friday.

"I hope that my openness today and in the past, and my acknowledgement that I need help, will give others the courage to get help if they need it," he said.

Asked as he left the room if he planned to resign, the six-term congressman responded, "I need to stay in the fight."

Kennedy's father, Sen. Ted Kennedy, said Friday he has "enormous respect for the work Patrick has done."

"All of us in the family admire his courage in speaking publicly about very personal issues and fully support his decision to seek treatment," the Massachusetts Democrat said. "He has taken full responsibility for events that occurred."

Preferential treatment allegation probed
Police labor union officials said earlier that officers were told not to give Rep. Kennedy a sobriety test after his traffic mishap.

Superiors told the officers instead to drive Kennedy home after the accident, according to Greg Baird, acting chairman of the U.S. Capitol Police union, who called for an inquiry.

The Capitol Police said Friday that it is investigating the accident, the procedures followed, and whether the evidence would support traffic charges.

The lawmaker said Thursday police drove him home afterward but that he did not "ask for any special consideration."

Asked if he thought he got preferential treatment, Kennedy said, "That's up for the police to decide, and I'm going to cooperate fully with them."

The police report, seen by CNN, includes an observation that Kennedy appeared to have been drinking and his ability was impaired.

"At no time before the incident did I consume any alcohol," Kennedy said in a statement Thursday.

The report shows Kennedy was cited for three infractions -- failure to keep a proper lane, unreasonable speed and failure to give full time and attention to the operation of a vehicle.

According to the report, Sgt. Kenneth Weaver said he saw Kennedy's vehicle "traveling at a high rate of speed in a construction zone and also swerving into the wrong lane of travel" with its lights off.

Weaver said Kennedy's vehicle hit a curb and swerved back into the wrong lane. He said he was driving east and used "evasive maneuvers in order to avoid a collision" with Kennedy's car.

The officer said he turned around and pursued Kennedy, whose car did not stop but did slow, "finally stopping after colliding head-on with a vehicle barrier."

The report said that when Weaver approached Kennedy, he noticed that his "eyes were red and watery, speech was slightly slurred, and upon exiting his vehicle, his balance was unsure."

Baird said when two sergeants arrived at the accident scene after the initial two officers, they conferred with the watch lieutenant on duty.

Afterward, the sergeants told the other officers to drive Kennedy home. His car had been damaged, police said.

"I think he was extended a courtesy by virtue of his position," union President Lou Cannon told CNN. Cannon was not at the scene of the crash.

Capitol Police declined CNN's request for an interview Friday.

Kennedy: 'Disoriented' from medications
In his Thursday evening statement, Kennedy said he had returned home after final votes in the House of Representatives around midnight Wednesday and taken the sleep aid Ambien and an anti-nausea drug.

The lawmaker identified that drug as Phenergan, "which in addition to treating gastroenteritis, I now know can cause drowsiness and sedation."

"Sometime around 2:45 a.m., I drove the few blocks to the Capitol complex believing I needed to vote," he said. "Apparently, I was disoriented from the medication."

In his comments Friday, Kennedy said, "The recurrence of an addiction problem can be triggered by things that happen in every day life, such as taking a common treatment for a stomach flu.

"That's not an excuse for what happened Wednesday evening, but it is a reality of fighting a chronic condition for which I'm taking full responsibility," he said.

CNN's Ted Barrett and Brian Todd contributed to this report

Return to Top
#543958 - 05/05/06 08:28 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Here's my favorite part of the story linked above:

Quote:

his green 1997 Ford Mustang convertible

What a tool!

Return to Top
#543959 - 05/05/06 08:55 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Quote:

Here's my favorite part of the story linked above:

Quote:

his green 1997 Ford Mustang convertible

What a tool!

LOL-considering his and his familys' driving record, he probably couldnt handle the insurance premium on a newer vehicle.

Return to Top
#543960 - 05/05/06 09:01 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good for him to go into rehab to get help with his problem. I wish him luck.

Suzy

Return to Top
#543961 - 05/08/06 12:42 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
hobot Offline
Gold Star
hobot
"I simply do not remember getting out of bed, being pulled over by the police, or being cited for three driving infractions," Kennedy said. "That's not how I want to live my life. And that's not how I want to represent the people of Rhode Island."

I didn't see this in this thread yet, but I believe his quote above, is a lie, and he was actually trying to get out of the "incident" when stopped by the police. (this was also reported by the national news over the weekend). Here's why I think this: Apparently, a congressman on official business, such as traveling for an official vote, is immune to prosecution. -- That's why he came up with the voting story. So much for his 'inability to remember'.

Return to Top
#543962 - 05/08/06 01:15 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
And if there was in fact a vote, it is comforting to know he is stoned and/or drunk when going to represent the people of Rhode Island....

Return to Top
#543963 - 05/08/06 02:33 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
grmasterb Offline
Diamond Poster
grmasterb
Indiana
Quote:

I didn't see this in this thread yet, but I believe his quote above, is a lie, and he was actually trying to get out of the "incident" when stopped by the police. (this was also reported by the national news over the weekend). Here's why I think this: Apparently, a congressman on official business, such as traveling for an official vote, is immune to prosecution. -- That's why he came up with the voting story. So much for his 'inability to remember'.

I've woken my sister out of bed and had lengthy telephone conversations with her, only to have her call me a few days later and ask, "Did we talk on the phone the other night?" She remembered that she had done something, but she couldn't remember the details. The culprit -- Ambien. So, I've seen the type of behavior to which Mr. Kennedy has referred.

We all know the Kennedy family history, but we're also supposed to be a nation that doesn't hold the son accountable for the sins of the father. Mr. Kennedy has admitted his addiction and sought treatment. I believe, therefore, that we should all drop it. The only party in this incident that deserves scorn is the Capitol Police, who do appeared to have displayed favoritism towards a Congressman with a well-known pedigree. Just imagine if it were Cynthia McKinney who was pulled over??

Return to Top
#543964 - 05/08/06 02:57 PM Re: ANOTHER KENNEDY CAR CRASH COVER-UP?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Amen.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3