Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#544224 - 05/05/06 06:31 PM Incorrect disclosure
Floridian Offline
We have discovered that our most recent deposit account disclosure has an error. The service charge for one type of account is $13, we disclosed as $15. Since this is in the customers favor, must we re-disclose or will we be OK with the regulators until the next printing? Thanks

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#544225 - 05/05/06 10:11 PM Re: Incorrect disclosure
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
IMHO - Yes

Return to Top
#544226 - 05/08/06 12:30 PM Re: Incorrect disclosure
Floridian Offline
Yes will we be OK to send or yes should we redisclose?

Return to Top
#544227 - 05/08/06 01:09 PM Re: Incorrect disclosure
Gotwood Offline
Platinum Poster
This is where you earn your money. Make a decision - is this a significant enough risk that you should spend additional monies to correct. IMHO - this can wait.

Return to Top
#544228 - 05/08/06 01:39 PM Re: Incorrect disclosure
Floridian Offline
I only asked for an opinion Gotwood....not a lecture on how I earn my money.

Return to Top
#544229 - 05/08/06 01:46 PM Re: Incorrect disclosure
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Regulation DD doesn't provide a method for correcting an error. Even though it's in the customers' favor, I would send a written notice correcting the amount. (Is a statement message a possibility?)

You mention waiting until the next re-printing... I would say that's not an option on a "go forward" basis; i.e. you cannot continue to hand out a disclosure you know to be incorrect. You can put a sticker or an attachment on the disclosure that makes the correction.

Return to Top
#544230 - 05/08/06 01:50 PM Re: Incorrect disclosure
Floridian Offline
The disclosure is on a mailer going to a small number of potential customers in a certain area. It is advertising a certain product and the monthly fee was printed incorrectly. If the customer opens the advertised account the disclosure at account opening will be correct.

Thank you for your response.

Return to Top
#544231 - 05/08/06 01:57 PM Re: Incorrect disclosure
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Then forget what I said before... If the promo I received is incorrect, but the disclosure I receive prior to opening the account is correct, then I believe the correct information was provided to the appropriate people.

Return to Top
#544232 - 05/08/06 07:55 PM Re: Incorrect disclosure
FraudBuster Offline
100 Club
Indiana
Is there any way your Marketing Department can turn this into a selling point instead of an error? Like a sticker added to the mailer saying, "The deal just got even BETTER!!!"

Then, the innocent ones will be thinking, "Gee, this bank looks better all the time," while the cynical ones will be thinking, "It's an advertising ploy; they printed the wrong amount on purpose!" Either way, nobody's thinking, "Doesn't this bank know what its own fees are?"

I don't know why my bank keeps me in the fraud area instead of marketing . . .

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett